kashmire

doing my AFF1 again

Hi, i just needed confirmation about one thing. I did my AFF1 jump back in October 2011 and due to the weather and pure laziness, i waited until now to go ahead and do my AFF2. I was told by my DZ that i would need to start over completely. Is that the regular procedure set by the USPA or should i be able to do a refresher course and go on with my AFF2 jump right away? i really hope i can argue my case and skip the 6 hour class.

Yes, that's normal procedure.
In fact, if you're not planning on making at least 1 jump per month after your 2nd groundschool and until your A license, and 1 jump per 2 months after that, this may not be the sport for you as it is going to be refresher training again and again, with associated costs...

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I went three months between my AFF L4 and my next jump and I got bumped back to L3 - and I needed it! I was terrible. You going ~7 months is pretty bad, I'm not surprised they want you to do it again.

Why did you leave it so long - at the time did you not plan to do the other levels or did other things just get in the way?

i really hope i can argue my case and skip the 6 hour class.

Tell them you watched youtubevideos to stay current.
That you know more then they ever will.
Tell them your skills in chess helps you a lot in the sky.
Tell them you yoga every morning to perfect your skills.
And lastly, your GoPro on your helmet can't record a six hour class.

That will teach 'em!
:D

Sorry, bad joke.
You need the class and the AFF1.
My advice is that you attend another class once you have your A, everything the instructor says will be much easier to understand and you will "notice" more details.

Good luck

What a lot of new students don't realise when they start is that currency (Both Frequency of jumping AND money ;)) plays a MASSIVE part in learning to skydive.

Expect to be able to get to the DZ at LEAST every other weekend until you're qualified, preferably making a couple of jumps each time. It's expensive, but not as expensive as having to retake levels.

If you can't make this sort of commitment, save up until you can. Take some vacation, save up some cash, whatever, but really think about being current - it's much more important than you realise.

What a lot of new students don't realise when they start is that currency (Both Frequency of jumping AND money ;)) plays a MASSIVE part in learning to skydive.

Expect to be able to get to the DZ at LEAST every other weekend until you're qualified, preferably making a couple of jumps each time. It's expensive, but not as expensive as having to retake levels.

If you can't make this sort of commitment, save up until you can. Take some vacation, save up some cash, whatever, but really think about being current - it's much more important than you realise.

Very true, I wish someone had told me this. You'd think it would be in the instructors'/DZO's best interests to get you there and burning up cash as fast as possible, but honestly I had no idea I was supposed to do it quickly. I guess they have too many low-level students to bother chasing them and telling them to gtf to the DZ before they forget how to skydive.