hhhyyrt

katana 120 VS crossfire 2 119 ??

Its fine 5.samadhi hope this eleviates your curiosity.If I were on a 129, I would not make the same decison to drop 20sqft. My DZCI and DZSO are fine with it and have read in the Parachute and it's Piot by Brian Germain that it's acceptable and Im comfortable with the idea. I have a 42 year old brain( so I realise Im only water proof not bullet proof ) and my style of HP landing is a carving turn. If I were getting stuck deep in the corner on the odd occasion, I would not be making the decision to drop 20 sqft. I see myself as a safe predictable pilot as does evreyone else at my DZ.Finally I want the biggest turf surfs that I can get safely.I will be test jumping a xfire 119 first and if I can get my hands on a demo katana 120 ( I wont hold my breath being in Australia but Im about 10 months off ordering so we will see ).Like I said earlier, if I have to run too hard then a 129 or 135 will bee my choice.

@ 5.samadhi PS, When I say getting the biggest turf surf safely, I mean at my skill level. Thought I better clear that one up before all the comments start. Again thanks everyone for your imput. Im off to buy some lead !

Katana's and Crossfires are pretty HP. I don't know where in Oz you are, but I find the winds make landing my 170 'feel' like I am back on a C9!

Most people believe that a fully elliptical canopy should only be jumped with more than 500 jumps. So going into that territory early is not 'conservative'. You haven't posted jump numbers so I am assuming you haven't made the grade for E or F licenses yet. Sorry if that is wrong.

@ nigel99, Im not sure what you mean by your comment on the winds and a C9 ( if its something about landings being more difficult get some coaching. Hell get some more coaching anyway,getting swoop tuition best thing Ive done.) The 500 jumps thing is a guide.I will say one thing and thats that I am glad that I jumped a stiletto for a while before getting a xfire. I didnt say that a crossfires or katanas were conservative. I dont enjoy flying conservative canopies and thats why I jump a xfire 139. Let me put the (safely comment) another way. Getting the biggest turf with an apropriate wing loading for my ability.

The 500 jumps thing is a guide.

When you say it that way, it makes it sound like you don't have 500 jumps yet, is that the case?

Even if you're right at 500 jumps, that's still a very low number for an x-fire or Katana loaded at 1.8, that would be something more appropriate for a jumper with 800 or 1000 jumps.

If you are in the (or below) 500 jump range, those canopies, that WL, skilpping sizes all while not being a fan of 'running' and having back problems are all that much worse. You're playing a dangerous game that's not likely to end well.

Forgetting all should you shouldn't you..
I owned xf2 139 and xf2 119 and have hundreds of jumps on them. I can say with certainty that I love xf2. Everything about it: worry free openings, nice riser pressure that gives you a good feed back in a dive, swooping capabilities, long spots not a problem, good flare, all in all sexyness.
At the same time I new I wanted to be on Velo one day because it was the baddest wing on the market. Heard people saying katana route is best if you want to be on velo and xf if on vx. So I borrowed my friends katana 120 and also demoed same size. It felt very aggressive but what I call 'dumb aggressiveness' always tried to twist up on openings, riser pressure was wussy light, no feedback in a dive, long spot worries, and actually didn't enjoy the flare too much either. Maybe I was biased towards it since I had hundreds of jumps on xf's already but I am all up for them and transition to velo if you elect to take this route someday is not difficult.
Hope this helps a bit.

@ nigel99, Im not sure what you mean by your comment on the winds and a C9

No a C9 is a round canopy (I used to jump long ago). The steady winds here in Perth make landing a Sabre 170 descent more vertical than forward. Previously I had sworn that I would never downsize below 170, the change to a sea-level dz with constant winds is making me think twice.

Regardless, have fun I and keep safe.

Its fine 5.samadhi hope this eleviates your curiosity.If I were on a 129, I would not make the same decison to drop 20sqft. My DZCI and DZSO are fine with it and have read in the Parachute and it's Piot by Brian Germain that it's acceptable and Im comfortable with the idea. I have a 42 year old brain( so I realise Im only water proof not bullet proof ) and my style of HP landing is a carving turn. If I were getting stuck deep in the corner on the odd occasion, I would not be making the decision to drop 20 sqft. I see myself as a safe predictable pilot as does evreyone else at my DZ.Finally I want the biggest turf surfs that I can get safely.I will be test jumping a xfire 119 first and if I can get my hands on a demo katana 120 ( I wont hold my breath being in Australia but Im about 10 months off ordering so we will see ).Like I said earlier, if I have to run too hard then a 129 or 135 will bee my choice.

ok so just so I be clear about my question, why again are you dropping to a 119 then without jumping a 129 for a season? Why are you set on rushing the transition and taking two steps down in canopy size? It just doesnt make sense to me that you would want to make that big of a jump down.

Sorry if my tone is not coming across, I'm not trying to be condescending to you, I'm just trying to understand you're thinking (no inflammatory/disrespectful talk here I hope thats clear).

others: Am I being too prudent here???

you only have like 100 something jumps, jump 500 more and see if downsizing 20 sq is big deal.

so you're saying somebody going from a 139 to a 129 instead of a 119 is being too prudent and shouldnt worry that much about the downsize?

I think you are wrong, but OK I'll see if I change when I get 500 more jumps. I do not think I will though! :)

why rush a progression when you can stretch it out and maximize learning at each stage?

you only have like 100 something jumps, jump 500 more and see if downsizing 20 sq is big deal.

so you're saying somebody going from a 139 to a 129 instead of a 119 is being too prudent and shouldnt worry that much about the downsize?
why rush a progression when you can stretch it out and maximize learning at each stage?

Why then are you planning a 30 sq ft downsize (from a 150 to a 120 according to your profile) if you have a cutaway on your next jump?

That's a much more serious downsize for a number of reasons.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4286438#4286438

If people are forced to slow down, they will have more time to master all aspects of their canopy flight on one canopy, rather than downsizing for more performance while never taking the time to truly learn all aspects of a canopy. It takes a bunch of jumps to really master a canopy - something that many people in a desperate rush for more performance never learn how to do.

That's how you get people with a thousand jumps on a fast canopy scared to land off, scared to do braked approaches, scared to land any way but into the wind.. Take the time to truly learn.

Why then are you planning a 30 sq ft downsize (from a 150 to a 120 according to your profile) if you have a cutaway on your next jump?

That's a much more serious downsize for a number of reasons.

because I have jumped 120 7 cells (albeit mains not reserves) for about 60 jumps and feel comfortable on them :) So your argument is not sound because the premise is false leading to a false conclusion.

because I have jumped 120 7 cells (albeit mains not reserves) for about 60 jumps and feel comfortable on them :) So your argument is not sound because the premise is false leading to a false conclusion.

My argument that you will instantly downsize from a 150 to a 120 is exactly right according to your profile. Give me a good reason to fly a smaller reserve than your main. One good reason. That's all I ask.

I'd say your judgement is demonstrably fucked up and your assertions in this thread are therefore best ignored.

Well played.

My argument that you will instantly downsize from a 150 to a 120 is exactly right according to your profile. Give me a good reason to fly a smaller reserve than your main. One good reason. That's all I ask.

I'd say your judgement is demonstrably fucked up and your assertions in this thread are therefore best ignored.

Well played.

haha harsh man, well played indeed ;)

good vibes all around :P

I'll make just one more post as I have the info I need.Do you really think that because I choose to drop 20 sqft that I will now be to scared to land in brakes,on rears, off DZ crosswind or downwind? I may choose to slide a downwinder in on my ass with a 120 or 119 but I doesnt make it scary. If I went the Katana route, Im thinking you would most likely suggest a 135 before the 120. Your right DiVinciflies I should have just ignored the post but I have written a comment and cant delete it.

Well nolan358, I hope you feel big. You have just shown your true character for everyone to see. If you were an instructor, you would be the guy to berate a student in front of everyone for a mistake instead of quietly taking them aside so they didnt feel embarassed. I would rather feel a bit silly than do what you have just done. Congratulations

Tried jumping with 15 to 18 lbs of lead but was tweaking my back and knees didnt like it so I ended up with a katana 120 and will hopefully go to a VX in about 400 jumps if my mentor reckons Im OK . I love my mentor, he said bite of more than you can chew and chew like f..k. All depends on how bad my arthritis gets in the mean time. If I have to upsize so be it. MY WL 1.8. Thanks for the advice, pitty it didnt work out with the lead

I ended up with a katana 120

MY WL 1.8.

All depends on how bad my arthritis gets

Of course

he said bite of more than you can chew and chew like f..k.

I would ask why you think this is good advice, considering your age, experience, and physical limitations, but I'm sure it's a waste of my time.

So, May 1, you say:

I have already said Im sticking with the 139 for another couple of 100 jumps.

(Ref: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4311937;page=unread#unread

Now, just 2 short weekend's later, THIS? You really are a "piece of work", aren't you? - Seriously. ...And you get offended when ANYONE really says ANYTHING at all (or even really tries) to you. :S

Your "game" on here, whatever it is - is truly, tiresome. Honestly not looking forward to seeing your "Sangi-esque" scheme unfold. But whatever. You're an adult right? Please just don't either take out, or hurt anyone else with your endeavors is all.
coitus non circum - Moab Stone