cbuffalino

Requirements for helicopter jumps?

I'm approaching my A license and am excited about the prospect of doing all sorts of different types of jumps as I find my way in the sport. One of my local DZs is doing helicopter jumps this summer and I was wondering if there are any special requirements needed to perform that kind of jump? Similarly, are there any restrictions for balloon jumps?
Never give up on something you can't go a day without thinking about.

I'm approaching my A license and am excited about the prospect of doing all sorts of different types of jumps as I find my way in the sport. One of my local DZs is doing helicopter jumps this summer and I was wondering if there are any special requirements needed to perform that kind of jump? Similarly, are there any restrictions for balloon jumps?

You need a helicopter.

Some dropzones will put a B license requirement on specialty jumps like helicopter or balloon, though typically I've seen the requirement more for balloon jumps than for helicopter jumps. The primary reason is that a balloon jump carries with it a reasonable probability of an off-field landing, and balloon jump organizers may want to ensure that people are a little more experienced to ensure they'll be comfortable in that situation. (Not that you shouldn't be able to handle an off landing with an A license, but more experience improves that understanding).

For any new aircraft, but particularly for a totally new type like a balloon or helicopter, be certain to get a thorough briefing on the aircraft, including loading, safety on board, climb out, exit, etc.

And have fun. And bring :D.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I've seen a video of a woman getting her chest strap caught on a part of the helo skid. Jumping from a helo can require a bit more caution than your usual jumpship. Get a briefing from an instructor. :)

I've seen the wraparound scar on the upper arm of someone who sliced herself open on a skid. So yeah, proper briefings are key.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I've seen lots of folks get in trouble because of the low airspeed exit. While not hovering they're not going very fast. This causes lots of flailing, inability to get separation, etc. Be sure these are planned well for separation and opening.

I would suggest a student, which is what you are without an A license, and even a novice with an A license should probably pass. This is not just another skydive. Not hard, but different.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Join the military B|

My first few jumps with the Canadian Armed Forces were from a Heckybird (large, four-propeller transport airplane with large side doors and a ramp under the tail).

While my first few jumps with the West German Army were from a Huey helicopter (with huge sliding doors on both sides).

The bottom line is that some schools train hundreds (or thousands) of first jump students to make their first jumps from helicopters.

The key is finding an instructor (who has a few jumps from that type of helicopter) to explain exit procedures.

I've seen a video of a woman getting her chest strap caught on a part of the helo skid. Jumping from a helo can require a bit more caution than your usual jumpship. Get a briefing from an instructor. :)

And I saw with my own two eyes a guy hanging from the skid by his chest strap all the way back to landing...

Thanks for all the useful info

Here's the info you didn't get - all of the chest strap stories, and the one about the girl tearing her awm open involved the jumper attempting to hang from the skid. In trying to lower themselves down, they ended up laying on their chest or wrapping an arm around the skid, and then got hung up on a bolt, or hook, or weld, or whatever. You can solve all of those 'problems' by standing on the skid and just jumping off it.

Of course, make sure you're briefed on where to stand, what to hold on to, and don't jump 'up' for obvious reasons.

The other valid point was about leaving at the same time as other jumpers, the still air you're exiting into will limit the amount of control you have for the first 10 seconds. If your exit altitude was low enough that you would need to start tracking sooner than 10 seconds, just ask to do a solo. As mentioned the helo will have some forward speed on 'jump run' and while it's not a ton, it will build in some seperation if jumpers leave some time between exits.

Be sure and get a briefing from the pilot as well. All the helicopter jumps I have done (all 5 of them) we were told to approach from the front, and not to push off when leaving. I have never done a "big" chopper so be sure and get that pilot briefing!

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

Most helicpter pilots prefer to fly at 40 knots (nautical miles) or better.
Faster than 40 knots, they get into translational lift where the main rotor starts to fly like a big disc that is far more efficient than a bunch of blades trying to beat the air into submission. That means that they can climb much quicker or do the same flying with 40 percent less fuel.
Translational lift also adds three or four thousand feet to their ceiling.

Also make sure your equipment and any bits you might be carrying are properly secured (as they should always be anyway). The pilots tend to get a little tetchy if something flies off and gets caught in the tail rotor....
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....