Austintxflight

Landing without a rig or a wingsuit

Stuntmen used to do it all the time in the 20s and 30s (even up to the 80s in some countries) - well not freefall of course, but all the fall stunts back then were done into boxes, and the did some pretty damn big falls. I believe there was one done in Russia in the mid-80s that was close to 1800'. The guy walked away from it...

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

Still jump with a rig. If you don't have a perfect spot...bail.

I think the real issue would be one of economics. The material used would have to be very nearly indestructable (for the purpose in mind) and relatively cheap.

If a 100 ft by 100 ft by 30 ft vat of Polystyrene packaging material would do the trick I think there would be a lot of interest.

There are a couple of recorded cases of individuals surviving long freefalls with no rig.

Yep, I can think of two documented survivals with no chute out at all. Both times the guys went thru pine trees into deep snow on a steep slope. One had just minor broken bones, the other walked away (into a German POW camp).