jjrainyday

Possible Skydiving Reality Show

No, it's not actually a show yet. It's just an idea for a show. This is basically an introduction to the show to explain the ideas and introduce the characters. There was a film crew out at the dz for several days to make this, so someone obviously likes the idea.

This looks like the production company plug. Those two guys at the end are likely production company ceo's trying to "pitch" their idea to any network to see if they will bite and buy some episodes/season.

A lot of hits on Youtube would probably help move the sales pitch along a little to a network.
"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way." - Alan Watts

After working with us, the crew that does 19 and Counting tried to pitch a reality show about our dz, but it never went anywhere.

Personally, I think a better bet would to be more like Discovery's shows and have multiple dz's represented so you get get a feel for Perris or Z-hills size ops as well as the mom&pop 182 dz's.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

There are lots of video people coming up with ideas for shows and then creating short promos that they try to sell.

We have had at least 2-3 in the last year or so, shot video at The Florida Aquarium with the understanding that if they can sell it, more will follow.

Sometimes I think they use the "show" as an excuse to get a free guest dive with the sharks!
Dano

After working with us, the crew that does 19 and Counting tried to pitch a reality show about our dz, but it never went anywhere.

Personally, I think a better bet would to be more like Discovery's shows and have multiple dz's represented so you get get a feel for Perris or Z-hills size ops as well as the mom&pop 182 dz's.-Blind

I think your idea is better too. From that sizzler I couldnt tell if it was a documentary, or if they were going to go the Hardcore Pawn/Dog the Bounty Hunter route, where the show is more about the characters and less about skydiving.
As it was pitched, I imagined it being on A&E. Once the cable networks get a hold of it, they will probably manufacture some drama which will then turn the DZ into a place like the Pawn Stars place where there is a line around the block to go on a place thats on TV.

We had a reality show film a bit at Z-Hills several months ago. Their 'sizzler' is out there, but not public on YouTube -

soooo.. where is it!? B|
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Personally, I think a better bet would to be more like Discovery's shows and have multiple dz's represented so you get get a feel for Perris or Z-hills size ops as well as the mom&pop 182 dz's.

Super Idea. Trouble with reality shows is that the truth doesn't sell. Manufactured Drama does. :S

Super Idea. Trouble with reality shows is that the truth doesn't sell. Manufactured Drama does. :S

If you can't find manufactured drama at a dz, you must already have passed out by the bonfire!

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

I think either way would work. You do tend to develop a liking too or dislike of the people on the shows which is fun and keeps the audience coming back.

True, and I dont think it would put a bad name on our sport any more or less than Pawn Stars puts a bad name on pawn brokering. However, what would it do for Perris as company and the people that work there or call it their home DZ? Will I be able to get on a load or will it be full of tourists wanting to do tandems with a TV star?

Heck, everyone knows that the producers manufacture fake drama for those shows to make them interesting. They'll fake having experienced jumpers pretend to snub junior jumpers, they'll have pretend junior jumpers doing stupid things beyond their abilities. Pretend students will fake going out of control and pulling low. They'll show actors pretending to be jumpers who drink too much, party too hard, and have loose morals. They'll highlight tattoo freaks with orange mohawk hair-do's. Women body-double "jumpers" will flash their boobies to the pilot. And stunt pilots will be brought in to do high-speed low passes. And we all know that none of that kind of stuff actually happens on any drop zone. Next thing you know, the general public will have a totally false image of what skydiving is like. Hollywood, hrumph!

funny thing is so damn many entertaining things that would completely fascinate the general public happen every day at a drop zone. the sub plots of following the life of the full timers, the weekend warriors, tandem passengers and students. is almost enough content to take care of all the drama needed and then obviously jump compilations mixed in. and the crazy stuff (mr bills, milestone jump pranks, any jumping with props, and accidents of corse) would just add to the drama. I had this idea last year and wanted to put together a pilot or promo to get it going. the second show "flight club" looks like the better angle. the first one has staged dialogue and that will never sell.
Skydiving without a parachute is easy, its skydiving twice without a parachute that is extremely difficult

-Blind

It would give a whole new meaning to "Deadliest catch" ;)

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Heck, everyone knows that the producers manufacture fake drama for those shows to make them interesting. They'll fake having experienced jumpers pretend to snub junior jumpers, they'll have pretend junior jumpers doing stupid things beyond their abilities. Pretend students will fake going out of control and pulling low. They'll show actors pretending to be jumpers who drink too much, party too hard, and have loose morals. They'll highlight tattoo freaks with orange mohawk hair-do's. Women body-double "jumpers" will flash their boobies to the pilot. And stunt pilots will be brought in to do high-speed low passes. And we all know that none of that kind of stuff actually happens on any drop zone. Next thing you know, the general public will have a totally false image of what skydiving is like. Hollywood, hrumph!

1) Are you kidding!!!??? I would totally watch that show. That would be awesome.
"House" and medical accuracy?
"Mad Men" and the 50's?
"True Blood" and Louisiana?
"Jersey Shore" and humans?
"Teen Mom" and parenting?
"Real world" and the real world?
I don't think that the people in reality shows are anything but bullshit.
You want accuracy - get a tuffet and a classic

2) "Point Break" brought people closer to skydiving even though most of the skydiving there is inaccurate.
There are no dangerous dives
Only dangerous divers

1) Are you kidding!!!??? I would totally watch that show. That would be awesome.
"House" and medical accuracy?
"Mad Men" and the 50's?
"True Blood" and Louisiana?
"Jersey Shore" and humans?
"Teen Mom" and parenting?
"Real world" and the real world?
I don't think that the people in reality shows are anything but bullshit.
You want accuracy - get a tuffet and a classic

2) "Point Break" brought people closer to skydiving even though most of the skydiving there is inaccurate.

+1!

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!