kallend

New Twin Otter production increasing

Good news. Means there will be a good supply of Skydiving Otters in 20-40 years.:)
Bad news. I probably won't be around.:D

No... it means that companies with older Otters will be handing them down the supply chain when they get their new Otters. Skydiving is low on the supply chain, but Otters (like other things) will be rolling down hill. :)
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Victoria BC is as far removed from the main stream of Aircraft Manufacturing as any place can be? Isn't Boeing located just 2hrs south in Seattle. Don't get me wrong Victoria is a nice place except maybe the aquarium with their octopus show, but I would not think it's that far removed.
Enter Funny thought Here

Whats up with the vertical stabilizers on the sides of the tail (maybe just forward of the elevator on either side)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Whats up with the vertical stabilizers on the sides of the tail (maybe just forward of the elevator on either side)

I haven't checked the videos, but I think that's an add-on for when floats are used. Pretty common for planes to get some kludgy little vertical tail surface add-ons when floats are used or may be used. Floats add too much destabilizing vertical surface area ahead of the C of G.

its an add on for maximum control under fully loaded conditions.

Actually, pchapman is right. They are required with the install of floats.

What's the benefit to having them and does it only apply to float planes or would it make any difference to the normal wheeled ones?
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I haven't checked the videos, but I think that's an add-on for when floats are used. Pretty common for planes to get some kludgy little vertical tail surface add-ons when floats are used or may be used. Floats add too much destabilizing vertical surface area ahead of the C of G.

Correct. The extra forward area due to the floats increases the likelihood of a spin, and these vertical surfaces compensate for that.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

http://airplanegroundschools.com/Seaplane-Skiplane-Float-Airplanes/seaplane-performance.html

Here is a good explaination of why Auxillary Fins (or Seafins) are required with a float install taken from the above link.

In flight, the seaplane handles very much like the corresponding landplane. On many floatplanes, the floats decrease directional stability to some extent. The floats typically have more vertical surface area ahead of the airplane’s CG than behind it. If the floats remain aligned with the airflow, this causes no problems, but if the airplane begins to yaw or skid, this vertical area acts somewhat like a large control surface that tends to increase the yaw, making the skid worse.

[Figure 5-2 The side area of the floats can decrease directional stability]

Additional vertical surface well behind the CG can counteract the yaw force created by the front of the floats, so many floatplanes have an auxiliary fin attached to the bottom of the tail, or small vertical surfaces added to the horizontal stabilizer.

[Figure 5-3 Vertical surfaces added to the tail help restore directional stability]

Good news. Means there will be a good supply of Skydiving Otters in 20-40 years.:)
Bad news. I probably won't be around.:D

No... it means that companies with older Otters will be handing them down the supply chain when they get their new Otters. Skydiving is low on the supply chain, but Otters (like other things) will be rolling down hill. :)

Unfortunately if we look at what happened when Cessna reactivated their small aircraft production in the late 80's the value of used aircraft only increased.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.