aatif96

Just got my A license...what do I do now?

So I'm fortunate enough to live about 10 min from my DZ and was able to get my A license in less then two months. Been hitting it every weekend 3 - 6 jumps average. I'm proud of the fact that i was able to get it within the 25 jumps without repeating. But what made it easy was i had a set goal everytime i came to the DZ, i studied my SIM like it was the SATs and knew what i had to do each jump. Now that i have my A license I'm kinda lost on what to do next. I'm assuming start working towards my B but what goals should i have specifically. The general consensus is work on RW before venturing into freefly. My ultimate goal is a wingsuit. Will people want to fly with a noob padawan jumper [:/]? What should i work on to get better at RW?

Second question...I'm not exactly built like a skydiver should be. I'm 5'7" 235 lbs with the aerodynamics of a crisco covered bowling ball :P Suffice to say I'm prob not jumping with cute little skydiving chicks. but with my build its next to impossible to find used gear. Been trolling the classifieds and have found nothing...why dont fat people jump out of planes!!! Anywho any idea on gear would be greatly appreciated...and where can i find a decent suit for around $250 budget that will slow my ass down. my relax belly is 145 mph! maybe ill wait on getting gear and just buy some running shoes to start out with :$

Any advice on any areas would be greatly appreciated.

Get a Flitesuit, they're in your price range and they can build you a suit that will slow you down. Call them and tell them your height/weight, and they can help you choose fabrics and cuts that will help.

As far as a rig goes, you have a couple choices. You could look for a used rig, but you're right, it's going to be tough. One thought is to look for a rig that will hold the canopies you need, and look into a harness resize.

Find a used container that will take a 230 main/reserve, and get the serial number from the seller. Then contact the manufacturer with the serial number and your measurements, and get a quote on a harness resize/ replacement. They can run anywhere from $250 to over $500, but it's worth a shot. Even at $500, if you can buy a used container for $1000, plus the harness work, you have a custom fit container with a new harness for $1500, which is still $500 to $1000 less than buying new.

Your other choice is to buy a new container and fill it with used canopies. Most of the time I discourage the purchase of a new container for a first rig, and this is because most of the time the jumper will want a smaller canopy (and smaller rig) well before the 'new' has worn off the rig. The result is losing money selling a 'lightly' used container.

In your case, however, new might not be a bad idea. With your goal of wingsuiting, and the lack of used rigs that will fit you, you might be able to get more 'milage' out of your first container.

In case you're not aware, high performance or highly loaded canopies are not reccomended for wingsuit use, so if you had a 230 or 220 main, that would be a good size for jumping with a wingsuit, and would fit right into a rig you could safely jump today.

Second question...I'm not exactly built like a skydiver should be. I'm 5'7" 235 lbs with the aerodynamics of a crisco covered bowling ball Suffice to say I'm prob not jumping with cute little skydiving chicks

Oh yeah, you're right on that one. Look around for people how match your 'body type', they'll jump with you. Your skills (or lack of) are not that important, most people are willing to help you learn, but if you find the other big guys, they'll be happy just to get on a jump where they don't have to worry about slowing down or going low.

Here is a reading list for you.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4052172#4052172

Have you paid your :D yet?

Dont you get me started on Beer. I just bought a keg to build up enough credit! I've learned to never use the work "first", "pre-second" works better ;)

Pre-buying is bullshit. Credit is not allowed.

Congrats on being able to get the A in the min number of jumps. I get the impression that is rare, and likely means that you're very comfortable flying, which often translates to very good flying.

My advice is that you dedicate yourself as much to weight loss as you did to getting that A in the min jumps. Getting the weight off will greatly open up the available used rigs that would work for you, and jumpsuits...much better to lose the extra influence of gravity before you buy gear than after.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I am trying to map out my plan as well. You might consider starting on the Canopy Control card, which is required for your B license. Put those practice jumps to good use.

Also, look at the other B license requirements and start thinking about how you will address them.

Your falling speed seems to be a real issue.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”