FreefallSnoopy

Skydiving and motorcycle riding

been covered a bunch of times.

If you dont have saddle bags big enough, get a gear bag and use that. Dont ever ride with just the rig on your back with no gear bag for obvious reasons.

There is a story of some guy doing 80 down the road and wanted to see what would happen if he pulled his rip-cord (pre BOC days). Not a good scenario...

I'm about to possibly make a long distance ride and wanted to bring my rig with me. Has anyone ever done this before? Or regularly made the ride to the DZ on their bike?

Yes.

How do you secure your rig, or do you have saddlebags big enough to fit it in?

One rig (135 main/150 reserve size), helmet, and jumpsuit fits perfectly in a Givi 50L top case which locks so you don't need to haul your rig around with you when you head inside for a soda or whatever.

A second can fit in an airline carry-on sized bag under a bungee net on the passenger seat plus a wingsuit, etc.

That leaves room in your panniers for shoes, rain suit, tent, sleeping bag, clean clothes, and a six pack of beer.

I'm about to possibly make a long distance ride and wanted to bring my rig with me. Has anyone ever done this before? Or regularly made the ride to the DZ on their bike? How do you secure your rig, or do you have saddlebags big enough to fit it in? Thanks for the help

Back in the day I made three "rig" trips, of 3,000, 5,000 and 7,000 miles, respectively.

Rigs were bigger then, but it went in the large frame backpack with everything else I took, primarily to protect it from the elements, with the added benefit of not exposing it to accidental deployment.

Had no saddlebags or even a windshield, just a big sissy bar and a luggage rack. Sleeping bag, a few clothes, maybe a tent, and a few tools. (A Jap bike, though, so other than chain adjustments, didn't use them.)

Those were good days, and one of the best parts was always having the "oasis" of a DZ along the route. Always nice to have members of the tribe wherever you go.

B|
SCR-6933 / SCS-3463 / D-5533 / BASE 44 / CCS-37 / 82d Airborne (Ret.)

"The beginning of wisdom is to first call things by their right names."

Ive seen many people just wear it like a backpack.

You can tuck your handle in the pouch if it makes you feel better, but seriously, how often do you get a premature deployment when you crawl out on jump run? :S

And if common sense didn't tell you already, make sure to pull the handle back out before you go skydive....

"Are you coming to the party?
Oh I'm coming, but I won't be there!"
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

Ive seen many people just wear it like a backpack

It's still dumb as shit. Even in the event of a low-speed get-off, the rig is likey to suffer severe abbrasion damage from hitting the road. You and your bike might be fine, and able to get up and ride home, but the rig isn't going skydiving without expensive repairs.

If you insist on wearing it like a backpack, find a backpack or gear bag with shoulder straps, and carry it that way. It leaves room for a jumpsuit or two, and a helmet tucked into the corner. The rig will be safe, and proteced, and if the shit should hit the fan out on the road, you don't have to add a fucked up rig to your list of troubles.

This may sound silly, but couldn't you wrap the rig in something? Like a rope to hold the rig shut? Heck, you could just tie the pinlocks up.

Though, I would look for a more...weather proof solution...

Unless of course you're planning one of these deals:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8pH5jgSuP8

It was a short ride but I rode a bit over two hours to swoop nationals at Spaceland in 2010 on my scoot. I took all of the gear I needed, a week's worth of clothing and all sorts of other stuff I would need. It looks bulky, but it was secured really well and still weighed less than a passenger.

On the upside, it rained for most of that ride...atleast I had packed everything in the bags wrapped up in plastic.

Attached is a quick cellphone pic before I left the house.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Not long distance, but I have done it a few times when my motorcycle was my only option of getting to the DZ (about an hour and a half one way) - I stuffed my hackey all the way up in the BOC, put a bungee cord around the poptop and main flap, tied the legstraps together with a pullup cord and wore it like a backpack. Despite the precautions, I KNEW it was a stupid idea and I was a nervous wreck the entire ride.
I would not do that again without a gear bag to put the whole rig in.

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

I wasn't replying based on issues with possibly damaging a rig in the event of a motorcycle wreck (which would be the least of my concerns while I'm sliding on concrete at driving speeds).

For whatever reason, I assumed he was asking about the possibilty of a deployment while riding. IMO it's low.

Get a gear bag and then you only have to worry about your bike and body in the event of a lay-down.
"Are you coming to the party?
Oh I'm coming, but I won't be there!"
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

Sure.

A year ago, I just stuffed it in a kit bag. And used a ratchet strap to secure that to the seat.

I then bought a big CD box, an aluminium one and bolted it to the seat and the grab rail. It did not actually fit 100%. So I would undo the pin, pull out the main to sit ontop of the reserve container bit. Then close the box up.

Later I got a specutacular deal on some hard luggage (think $5). and put them in the side cases. It means filtering doesn't work anymore and I stick a ratchet strap around that just in case.

It was a short ride but I rode a bit over two hours to swoop nationals at Spaceland in 2010 on my scoot. I took all of the gear I needed, a week's worth of clothing and all sorts of other stuff I would need. It looks bulky, but it was secured really well and still weighed less than a passenger.

On the upside, it rained for most of that ride...atleast I had packed everything in the bags wrapped up in plastic.

If that bike was replaced with a shopping cart, you could have passed for homeless :P
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

If that bike was replaced with a shopping cart, you could have passed for homeless :P

I was a violin away from gypsy!

:D
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I drive regulalry with my bike to the Dz - via the unrestricted german Autobahn.
The setup that works best for me is an Exped Torrent 50 backpack, it fits the rig, a large wingsuit, helmet and a bit of clothing. The rolltop is watertight and secure even at high speeds. Past a certain speed even watertight zippers in zippergarages will open and have to be secured.
The size is still comfortable, even when driving fast.

While jumping I secure the backpack with a Pacsafe Backpack & Bag Protector - a steel net, that will not help even against a small boltcutter, but prevents the bag from simply being carried away.

I ride a superbike, and have done trips 500miles plus, to DZ etc.

I have a stretchy net, put the gearbag and another smaller bag for clothes on the pillion seat, and netstretch it closed. Most bikes have a hooking place under the rear seat.

I don't like it on my back, I get too tired, and it is kind of top heavy. Much more stable on the back seat.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

i like that! B|

Me too.

I have twice gotten pulled over for speeding with the trailer on (in California, motorcycles/trailers can't go faster than 55) and both times, the officer has been more interested in talking about skydiving/wingsuiting than writing the citation.

i like that! B|

Me too.

I have twice gotten pulled over for speeding with the trailer on (in California, motorcycles/trailers can't go faster than 55) and both times, the officer has been more interested in talking about skydiving/wingsuiting than writing the citation.

hehe, did one turn up at the dz!?
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda