abaij

Learning to pack my own rig

I have 46 jumps and got my A license last summer. Got my own rig late last fall and I've never packed it myself. It's been a year since I packed and jumped my student rig for my A. What's the best way to learn to pack my own? I really don't have any skydiving friends who live near me. Guess I could go to a rigger or learn at the DZ. There are lots of instructions on the internet but that doesn't feel safe unless someone is watching me pack at least the first time. Any suggestions?

I watched the videos described already. I read the packing instructions from more than one canopy manufaturer. I got help learning at the DZ. Then I went home and repacked several times. I took my packed rig to the DZ and had someone unpack it and look for any mistakes. I repacked it again and jumped it. That was not the first one of mine that I had jumped but the first without anyone watching over me. The following weeks, I would repack at home 2 or 3 times during the week for practice.

I am still slow and it is still a challange to keep the S fold together, but one pack job at a time, I am getting it done.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

You must be British, as the USPA, DFV and other skydiving bodies make it a requirement to pack your canopy as part of the A certificate.

The BPA only requires it for your B certificate which is pretty silly tbh.

Essentially go to a DZ and ask for somebody suitably qualified. Then ask non vested interests if you can trust them. I don't mean the CI, I don't mean their family or their friends. Just ordinary other non affilated people. Then ask others if you can trust them as well.

AND STAND YOUR FUCKING GROUND if you are being messed with.

I was messed with badly for a VERY long time.

And tbh I fucking hate them for it. Call me bitter, but its 12.30am and I'm rather drunk.

Contrary to what they think I can pack. I had to when defecting to another skydiving body. It cost me three or four beers.

What happened with me was I was being messed around. But was too meek to stand up for myself and knew no better.

I kept being told pack one more time and you'll pass.

I passed their test TWICE and jumped 47 of my own pack jobs but still got denied. Being told pack some more and you'll get signed off.

They never did. Those bastards just kept taking my pack jobs and claiming the £5 pack job fee for themselves.

It got to the stage where some of the people, realised they had me by the balls and got free stuff off me.

It seemed incredibly strange watching people who were signed off pack line overs into their rigs. Yet getting bollocked because I wasn't qualified to pack.

It came to a head when one last packing test (my third) I'd gotten the line overs out. And they started making noises about needing some more practice. I throw the rig on the floor and kick up a fuss. And earned myself a life time ban from this DZ and my total contempt.

The whole DZ then turned against me and made shit up about me, like failing the test at Langar.

Except I'd never been to Langar, I paid them a visit AFTER I'd been banned. But never jumped or even got the rig out of my panier.

Or you're shit with your canopy control. All because I landed in a hedge around jump 20. (I retired from the UK scene at 82 jumps).

Today I am Persona non grata at most UK DZs.

TL : DR

The moral of the story is be careful, choose your coach carefully as well and don't take any shit. Loyalty means NOTHING.

If you know how (and you did it for your A so you do) then it comes down to practice and self confidence. Just take your time and practice. If you are very nervous get an instructor to check you packing next time you are at the dz.

I struggle with confidence in my pack jobs.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Guess I could go to a rigger or learn at the DZ.

B| sounds like a plan.

i hear these kinds of questions from time to time and really there isn't any other answer. just practice, over and over, until you get it. no short cuts. no easy way out. just do it over and over. it's not hard, it just takes repetition. your confidence will build as you do it over and over until you won't need anyone to look at it and you'll be totally confident jumping it.

bring some beer or buy some jumps or whatever you need to do to get a little guidance to get you started. once you have it in your head, go home, and pack it every single day when you get home from work. 2-3 times a night. every day of the week. you'll be fast and efficient within a few weeks if not faster.

then next summer when you're making 15 minute calls without breaking a sweat, look for a newbie and help them learn to pack. :)

It's been a year since I packed and jumped my student rig for my A.

You must be British, as the USPA, DFV and other skydiving bodies make it a requirement to pack your canopy as part of the A certificate.

I'm sure you enjoyed your rant, but best read the original post properly first :P

Its slightly off topic, and my views are probably different to most but I disagree with the learning to pack requirement for your A license. Don't get me wrong, I understand the logic that we want an A license to represent that an individual is competent with the basics - I just think it is irrelevant in most cases.

Here in Australia anyway, students are not permitted to pack student/rental gear even with supervision. I feel that learning to pack a main is irrelevant as a student because of that fact. How I learnt (and how im assuming most did) is by packing an out of service rig over and over again until I shown my competency. Sure, the basic methods for packing a main doesn't change alot between rigs but if you cannot legally pack an in service rig (while still using rent/student gear that is) then what is the point with the requirement?

I would like to see packing become a separate endorsement so that students don't have to worry perfecting a skill until they actually need it. In alot of cases, one may not actually need to know how to pack for another 50 jumps after getting an A...is the training you received (and competency demonstrated) when you did your A still current or are you going to get your own rig and pack a step through by mistake?

The OP is a good example..would it not have been better for him to show competency (and be endorsed) now when he needs it rather then 12 months ago which he has now forgotten. Common sense does obviously dictates here (if you don't know something ask someone) but history has shown that assuming common sense is present can be fatal.

Anyway, sorry for the tangent...I think the OP has his answer already :P

I would like to see packing become a separate endorsement so that students don't have to worry perfecting a skill until they actually need it.

Isn't that the idea of training a student? You teach them the things they need to know to be a licensed jumper, and when you're done, they become a licensed jumper? No?

This is true, but for some people packing may not be relevant for 50 jumps after getting an A...It would be nice if you had the option to put it off until you actually needed it.

" Im still jumping student gear (which I can't pack anyway) let me keep progressing (in which I need an A) and when I get my own gear I can learn and be signed off competent"

This is just an opinion, take what you will.

We were allowed to pack our student/rental gear when we were the ones about to jump it. The pack job after our last jump that day had to be performed by the packers so that the next person to use the gear wouldn't be jumping our pack job. That said, I didn't start to packing my own until I had my own rig. With a busy schedule, it was easier to practice over and over and over at home.

We were allowed to pack our student/rental gear when we were the ones about to jump it. The pack job after our last jump that day had to be performed by the packers so that the next person to use the gear wouldn't be jumping our pack job. That said, I didn't start to packing my own until I had my own rig. With a busy schedule, it was easier to practice over and over and over at home.

Australian rules are different, in my opinion it is the best system I've seen. To pack student, rental or tandem gear you need a 'packed b' rating that lasts for 2 years. A person with an A license can pack their personal gear or that of any licensed jumper).

However I disagree with milehigh - pretty sure that he could pack under the direct supervision of a suitable person.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Hey everybody - thanks for all of your suggestions! Funny ... actually, I'm a girl :S born and raised in Michigan. Never even been to the UK. Thanks for reminding me that this doesn't have to be so complicated. There's no mysterious answer to how you all learned to pack so fast. It is a little intimidating for a newbie to watch you pack at the DZ though. I've arranged to spend some time with my rigger to get a refresher lesson in packing. Then I'm definitely going to take your advice and practice repacking several times a week at home. Will be a challenge in my 800 sq. foot apartment with a cat who wants to burrow into everything! It really helped me just hearing that you have to do it over and over and over until it becomes second nature (kind of like skydiving, huh?) I WILL watch and ask and try and buy beer...over and over - all great ideas! Am looking forward to the possibility of helping another new skydiver next year. The same way experienced skydivers are willing to jump with me now - maybe someday I'll be able to "pass it on" to repay what's been done for me. Thanks again to all of you. I really appreciate your patience and thinking back to what it was like when you were just starting out. I hope I cross paths with some of you and maybe jump together sometime!

I don't know if the video is still out there, but my husband said that "Pack like a Pro" was very helpful to him.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Will be a challenge in my 800 sq. foot apartment

I've heard of people being forced to pack in a dz bathroom (I believe with the lights out) and jump it before being considered 'worthy'
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Will be a challenge in my 800 sq. foot apartment

I've heard of people being forced to pack in a dz bathroom (I believe with the lights out) and jump it before being considered 'worthy'

Packing anxiety will dissipate with experience and doing a lot of pack jobs, there are only a few key things that make a difference...parachutes really want to open.
One time I had to pack a wet parachute in a car at the WFFC while awaiting a storm cell to pass, another time I packed up in an Otter with a full load on the way to an off-site drop zone. One more; While climbing to altitude one day it dawned on me that I didn't remember putting my slider up, so my rig came off and partialy unpacked to correct the mistake, yes I bought beer...for myself!

-TM,
El cap 699