jf951

Pic of the Day: Slide over human malfunction [worth a look!]

My point is whoever posted this image did not do so for commercial gain, hence no copyright infringement.

Using something, even without commercial gain, can still be an infringement. Non-profit educational use is a consideration when claiming fair use, but it's not the only consideration.
Owned by Remi #?

Andrey Veselov (author of the first posted photo here) just posted an entire sequence of pics on FB, 7 photos.

Yikes. That could have ended much worse than it did.

I'm curious though, don't pullouts often sink out a bit? Especially if you're not holding onto them (like AFF)?

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Oh,,please..Hollywood isnt waiting around with a fist full of dollars for this,,its only "customer" is us,,,:S

Copyrighted material is just that! Copyrighted!!! Go to his facebook page listed above, and you'll see he clearely does NOT want his work "republished" without permission.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=3675467839526&set=a.3675467679522.2148732.1059860141&type=1&theater

Justify it anyway you like. Making a copy and posting/publishing it anywhere without permission is wrong.

To the owner of this photo... Great sequence. Thank you for sharing on your facebook site. :)
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

So now having seen the entire sequence, it is clear that the guy intentionally deployed (hand on hackey in pic 1). Is there any reason for a jumper in his position to deploy like that on a big(ish) way? Surely it wasn't to key the breakoff was it? I thought it was a person in the center that would deploy to key the break as they would be visible to everyone (although I have never done bigger than a 14 way so I could very well be wrong about that). Thoughts?

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

So now having seen the entire sequence, it is clear that the guy intentionally deployed (hand on hackey in pic 1). Is there any reason for a jumper in his position to deploy like that on a big(ish) way? Surely it wasn't to key the breakoff was it? I thought it was a person in the center that would deploy to key the break as they would be visible to everyone (although I have never done bigger than a 14 way so I could very well be wrong about that). Thoughts?

There is no reason I can think of for dumping when and where he did. Most of my fun jumps were big ways, many over 100. It will probably be his last jump on anything over a 2 way.
Attached is an excerpt for rules for big ways.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Well, we dont know what the entire dive was. Sure, him dumping when he did doesnt much sense. But he may have been a early dumper to signal a breakoff of the group that has already left, and he may have dumped late (very late).

Glad no one died.
Remster

Well, we dont know what the entire dive was. Sure, him dumping when he did doesnt much sense. But he may have been a early dumper to signal a breakoff of the group that has already left, and he may have dumped late (very late).

Glad no one died.

Yea, that’s it, he just made a mistake.:S

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Glad no one died.

Yea, that’s it, he just made a mistake.:S

Sparky

You said there is no reason, I showed you there could be a reason.

You'rte getting grumpy in your old age, Michael :p
Remster

I'm just curious here, please don't blast my question. Are we ok with reposting an "obviously copyrighted" picture here? Great shot! I’d be curious how the photographer feels about this. :|

i found this on facebook, the person who originally had it, who i assume had some involvement in it posted it and it had an obscene amount of FB shares so i figured there was no harm in throwing it on here too.
Jump more, Bitch less.

This is why I don't like people pulling out of formations.

IIRC, in 2006, a mid-air collision also occured at the 400-way World Record, but that was when the base was funneled (the world's biggest funnel). No injury, it was also superficial contact.

There is a safety tradeoff. I think it enhances safety only when the bigway is 200-way or bigger, because the big way has to breakoff synchronously.

The tricky situation arises partially because mega-size big ways have a breakoff altitude range (i.e. target breakoff 7500 with a harddeck of 6500 feet -- basically delayed breakoffs if the formation is stable and nearly complete. It's safer to be a stable formation at 6500 feet than a massive funnel at 7500 feet. The option is there to signal break off early if it's a mess, funnel, or early jumps -- videographers wearing radio to talk to the people in the freefalling base, for example.) so people can't rely on their audibles -- people have broke off early while the last person docked, so breaking off on audible is generally discouraged during 200-way and bigger, and alternative mechanisms are done. Otherwise, large Records is no longer possible.

That said, I would imagine that many would agree that the final pullout could probably be skipped -- it is mostly not necessary when the formation is now only a 40-way (i.e. the inner part of the base of a 200-way). The pullout is needed when outer people can't see the base anymore, like in a big 200-way (i.e. Florida State Record)

I think modern pullouts in big ways are more carefully planned, to ensure that this scenario is unlikely to happen. This includes the whole chain like choosing the appropriate parachute and proven packjob -- as well as the way it is pulled. In many cases, the person is to keep holding in the base while a person docked behind pulls for them and then backs away a bit. This ensures that the person does not lose balance, float around, or drop below. The deployment 'rips' the person out of the base. (With preplanned safety procedures for unlikely high speed mal cases, late base funnels, which hopefully we don't want to see ever happen!) That said, the pullout procedures seem to be more rigorous nowadays, especially after 2006 during the world's biggest funnel (one of the 400-way attempts). Sometimes, people are informed of the breakoff harddeck where they go ahead and breakoff if there's no signal from the center. (that's where audibles should be set to)

There is so much logistics behind mega-size big ways (200-way and bigger) that begins to involve flexible breakoff range (target breakoff and harddeck), radio-wearing organizers and videographers, break-off team technique (flocking for a few seconds), and more.

>Is there any reason for a jumper in his position to deploy like that on a big(ish)
>way? Surely it wasn't to key the breakoff was it?

It may have been to key the last wave (just leaving.)

Executed poorly.
coitus non circum - Moab Stone