jf951

Pic of the Day: Slide over human malfunction [worth a look!]

was he assigned to pull at breakoff time and then either dropped or got burbled at that moment?

lots of scenarios possible

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

in the interest of not spreading any false information. I have no first or second hand information on this picture. i don't know what circumstances arose that this ended up happening.

never the less, this surely isnt something you see everyday and will definitely make you scratch your head.
Jump more, Bitch less.

The guy with the chute was to signal brakeoff. He let go of the formation and pulled, and as the result he dropped below during his opening sequence. The other guy caught his lines and slided sideways. Both are ok, nothing except slight linetwists:)

The other guy caught his lines and slided sideways. Both are ok, nothing except slight linetwists:)

The main thing that will have saved them is that we can't see the speed of movement involved, that the "line inspector" must have dived through fast enough to avoid too much of a body check. Who knows, actually burbling the opening canopy for a split second might have helped too to reduce the deploying jumper's upwards acceleration.

This is why I don't like people pulling out of formations.

I'm ok with it, but it's a very serious role and you have to assign it to a very capable skydiver as well as one that's surrounded by the same (if your neighbor sinks out at the time, he could also burble that guy).

Clearly, not maintaining levelness during the deployment is really poor execution of the task.

I bet this happened FAST and the video is pretty cool. Lucky and skilled photographer to get that shot.

The OTHER thing I don't like here - People are ALREADY tracking away. So clearly, having this guy dump in the group was unnecessary.

A good track is supposed to have a lot of people putting out all their surface area for use in the track - (i.e., good trackers will slow down in their fall rate) - so if the dumper went low, it's even worse if everyone around him is laying it out going up relative to him.........

(:Pnormally what happens here at this point is I find out this was organized by the best and had the best and I'm talking nonsense - I'm ok with that as long as they chime in so I can learn something good)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Seems to me this would fall under fair use and not copyright infringement. No one in this thread is making money off of it and it is for educational purposes.

Now if someone were to copy this image and sell the crap out of it, different situation entirely.

I'm just curious here, please don't blast my question. Are we ok with reposting an "obviously copyrighted" picture here? Great shot! I’d be curious how the photographer feels about this. :|

Dude. It's been on Facebook. By now it's been distributed and redistributed so many times by now that one more post on DZ.com isn't going to make any difference.
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

>The OTHER thing I don't like here - People are ALREADY tracking away. So clearly,
>having this guy dump in the group was unnecessary.

He may not have been the key for the people who have already tracked far from the base. He may have been keying the 20 or so final people. Multiple pullouts are pretty common, and used to be common for US bigways.

There is a 2nd photo on the Internet from above, and it looks like everybody was turning to track away and the guy deploying was _not_ in the base.

Here, see the attached. Great photo, but it looks like the guy in red turned off to track and got a PC and main in the face.
NIN
D-19617, AFF-I '19

>The OTHER thing I don't like here - People are ALREADY tracking away. So clearly,
>having this guy dump in the group was unnecessary.

He may not have been the key for the people who have already tracked far from the base. He may have been keying the 20 or so final people. Multiple pullouts are pretty common, and used to be common for US bigways.

sure, but the tracking people I'm noting are within a 20 foot radius of him- so even if this is a later staged dump, it still doesn't look right

you can see the base still intact there just above and to the right. would be a fun video to watch anyway.