WoodlandWookiee

(?) Dropzone Drop Zone Databank Reviews

Hullo!

I'm new to joining the community (this is even my first post), but I've been visiting the forums often for the past few months as I've decided whether or not to enter the recreational sport of skydiving.

My question was on the Databank that Dropzone.com has here--particularly, the validity of user reviews of facilities. I'm making plans as to where I want to perform my first jump/get training, and it seems all the reviewers who give a high rating (four/five stars) are considered 'unhelpful', while reviews with low ratings (one star) are considered more helpful.

On average is this just 'trolls' marking reviews up or down, or can the reviews be relied upon? I'm focused more on learning the skills than having a 'family friendly moment' as it were (after all, if you earn a certification, you can skydive where and when you want with whoever you want to be with), but all the same I want to make sure I can concentrate on the moment without having to worry about poor service, teaching--that sort of thing.

Hope my question makes sense, and if it helps as an example, I was looking at the San Marcos Skydiving in Texas database entry, found here:
http://www.dropzone.com/dropzone/Detailed/80.shtml

*Maybe trolls isn't the right word--perhaps "someone with a negative experience, more intent on sharing their negativity than someone who had a positive experience"?

You'd be better off visiting a few of the dropzones that you're interested in and talking to the people there. Watch them interact with students, ask questions and get a feel for the professionalism and vibe.
Owned by Remi #?

You'd be better off visiting a few of the dropzones that you're interested in and talking to the people there. Watch them interact with students, ask questions and get a feel for the professionalism and vibe.

Totally agree, and BTW my personal experience of Skydive San Marcos was hugely positive. They made me very welcome.

Groovy, cheers for the input, both of you! And thanks for sharing your experience there DaVinciflies, makes me feel a bit more confident at least, haha!

Anyway, I view the Database as a valuable resource, but I was/am still wondering just how reliable the reviews are. Just from your two replies it's starting to sound to me as if the reviews aren't that great a guide to follow.

I'll definitely be checking out places near me regardless--I just thought it would be convenient to see what other folks had to say about their experiences, and thought the reviews section was an easy place to do that. I definitely prefer checking places out myself though. I won't enjoy the thrill of skydiving by watching a Youtube video, and I won't make an assumption about a skydiving facility just by reading a page of awkwardly rated comments on an expansive and varied database, heh!