k_marr08

Does wind speed and gusts affect descent rate?

kallend

Your F- in physics is showing, Mr. Anonymous Troll.
This has all been discussed in DZ.COM a decade ago, as I have repeatedly stated:

"Mr. Anonymous Troll" aka sky12345 may not be a troll, try responding not to his profile but his message.

Your post has been a simple reminder of your Regular shutting down fresh '2014 thinking'
(Oh yes, it's not seldom, occasionally, often or frequent... the word is "Regularly")

You've been persistent in suggesting for me not to waste people's time than to read a 2003 thread on this same subject... so I did:
there's a difference in people's perception then, that they're flying down faster whyle

manouvering in high winds...
and this thread is mostly with people who percieve that they're flying down SLOWER in highwinds.

Read me summing these two threads up with a split moskito hair fearing your respond:

Does wind speed and gusts affect descent rate?
- since there's multilple factors - YES.
Is it significant?
- No. (MOST PROBABLY)
Can you predict my flyght time?
- Not really (I can not SEE wind shears and turbulence but I can see it later if you wear GO PRO).

As for dropping a steel ball and/or maple seed in no wind vs. high winds, there is a difference which yoU CAN NOT calculate until it's happenED

"Barometer, n.: An ingenious instrument which indicates what kind of weather we are having."

"Geneticists: People who will tell you why you resemble your parents... and if you don't - why you should have."

In time, this thread will be locked too. Futile read.
What goes around, comes later.

I think his point is that laws of physics haven't changed since 2003.

Everyone agrees gusts disturb flight characteristics. But to say a parachute's relative airspeed in no wind and a 15kt steady wind are equal is incorrect.

If parachutes are affected by wind speed, then airplanes must be also. Every day I look at aircraft performance data and I can assure you that an airplane climbing in nil wind has an identical climb rate to an airplane climbing in a steady 15kt wind. Steady wind simply does not change that.
"Are you coming to the party?
Oh I'm coming, but I won't be there!"
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

linebckr83

..Every day I look at aircraft performance data and I can assure you that an airplane climbing in nil wind has an identical climb rate to an airplane climbing in a steady 15kt wind. Steady wind simply does not change that.

"Steady" is on paper only. What's in it is incalculable.

edit: and oh yes, I don't believe your "identical" climb rate, there are numbers in there and, sometimes there are SURPRISING numbers (an "anomaly") which prove this thread futile.

>its like saying that if we have a triangle with sides a b c and we blow it up 2x the
>increase of length of a has an effect on length of c!

That is correct. In the triangle example, if you "double a line" of a line its length doubles. When talking about drag, when you "double a line" it increases in actual length by a factor of 4. That's why you can't ignore magnitude and just decompose the forces as if they were linear with speed.

I am surprised you are bringing this up again. Pchapman explained the above to you and you seemed to understand it.

format

***Your F- in physics is showing, Mr. Anonymous Troll.
This has all been discussed in DZ.COM a decade ago, as I have repeatedly stated:

"Mr. Anonymous Troll" aka sky12345 may not be a troll, try responding not to his profile but his message.

Your post has been a simple reminder of your Regular shutting down fresh '2014 thinking'
(Oh yes, it's not seldom, occasionally, often or frequent... the word is "Regularly")

Perhaps you'll tell us which laws of physics have changed since 2003.

And I responded to his message by giving him a link to the analysis.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Just because you don't believe the facts doesn't make them anything less than facts.

If you prefer to get a degree and do my job for me then go ahead. But I know how to collect flight test data, and I know how to analyze it. I have a feeling you have zero experience in both.

Wind is 100% calculable on an airplane and we do it every flight. It just goes to show you really know nothing about this subject. Speaking of, care to tell us why you disagree with me and people who devote their lives to understanding physics? Proof or facts? Or just because it doesn't make sense to you?
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

unkulunkulu

But to say a parachute's relative airspeed in no wind and a 15kt steady wind are equal is incorrect.

Care to elaborate more on this?

My fault, I mistyped and now cannot edit it. I meant:

But to say a parachute's relative airspeed in no wind and a 15kt steady wind are NOT equal is incorrect.

Meaning they are equal.
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

Having done this jump 6 weeks ago, I can't recall any gusts. Here is the data from my Garmin Forerunner 310xt which I use primarily for triathlons, but decided it would be 'neat' to see a skydive mapped.

The elevation graph gives an idea of the slope/glide with no change in altitude (increase) relative to direction of travel into/with wind. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/470605967

Last note, the three larger "blips" on the elevation graph (if looking at distance, not time) are the exit, my track, and my canopy opening. Later there are 'steeper' descents for practice flare or steep turn.