tomahawkpilot

AFF student struggling with stability

I've done one tandem and three AFF jumps. I love it. I can't stop thinking about it. But the last two jumps have me very discouraged because I haven't progressed beyond category B. I'm struggling to remain stable in freefall. My first AFF, I had zero arch (I was doing the wrong thing -- my fault). The second one was slightly better, and I was focused and got all my tasks done and had time left over. Then on the last one, my stability got worse. And freefall ended up feeling chaotic. I was so preoccupied with trying to be stable and watching the flurry of hand signals telling me I wasn't, that I lost altitude awareness. I pulled, though, when I was reminded.

My instructors keep telling me that I need to relax and that I'm too tense. But I thought I was relaxed on the last jump! I looked forward to leaving the plane! The tension I have isn't from fear, it's just natural to me. When I was first practicing arching on the ground I would put my arms out in that position and my hands would become rigid each time. I have to force myself NOT to stiffen up every muscle, even when I'm on the ground.

I guess I'm just naturally tense, in a way that has nothing to do with stress or anxiety. Even when I am completely unstressed and relaxed, sitting in a chair, I'll find that at least a few of my muscles are tight and tense. I'm trying to stop this lifelong tendency.

So I'm really discouraged because I saw videos of other students at my level, and I am way behind. Freefall is such a blur to me. I was supposed to do a left turn and four seconds of forward movement, which they said I did just fine. But I don't even remember it. I couldn't tell what was happening.

Would I be more stable if I look at the horizon? I don't think I am. I think I am mostly looking at my instructors hands and faces.

On the ground, I do my arch and they say "perfect." When I do it up there, it feels completely different and they have to hold on tight so I don't flip over. And then it's all over so fast, I don't even know what all happened. It's very frustrating.

Breathing exercises?
I mean are you spinning, are you flipping on your back, are you flapping your arms? Try and tell people what is going on and I'm sure there are enough very well versed people here who can provide you with more assistance.
And don’t be too hard on yourself. If you had fun and landed safely and were able to walk off the grass under your own power you are doing great!
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

When I first started, my instructor said I fell like a sheet of plywood. What helped me out, was to take a giant deep breath during free fall and repeat the word relax in my head. I felt myself go from pretty unstable to stable. I was shocked when it happened. So on the later jumps I would do that, and now its become natural.
Paddle faster....I hear banjo music

So you have three AFF jumps, which means a maximum of three minutes of freefall. Have you ever mastered a new skill in three minutes? I haven't. Most people haven't. Skydiving is all a head game, it has little to do with mechanics and everything to do with psychology. Allow yourself to learn, to be imperfect, to struggle, it's ok. That is what relaxing is. The constant mental tension of trying to be perfect in three minutes of experience isn't relaxing. :)

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I'm a new jumper and had the same issues in AFF. The wind tunnel was a huge help in improving my body position in free fall. I highly recommend it if there's one near you!

I also needed the wind tunnel, it helps soooo much for you to get the muscle memory without all the sensory overload from the actual jump.

In the tunnel my instructor, the same one I was jumping on AFF with, helped me to relax also, but mainly, all he told me was to smile, and when you do that, the rest kinda all falls into place. It's weird, but you will really struggle to be tense and stiff if you have a great big smile on your face! :D

i also jump at aerohio and ive seen your video, you seem to be getting a bit ahead of yourself. skydiving isnt about where you are in relation to other people (well it sort of is but not in progression ;) ) its about pushing yourself to over come natural fears, conscious or not, to be able to be completely relaxed in a totally foriegn environment. you are not the worst student there has ever been, and your ability to leave the plane without and mental issues will be a good thing as you progress. everyone has trouble whether its packing or turning or just getting out of the plane, the main thing you have to remember is to keep a level head. its not surprising you have had sensory overload on your first few jumps and to be honest it happens to a lot of people. so it seems like the biggest obstacle in skydiving will be for you to learn how to let go and really settle into that arch. this wont be the last time you ever get unstable, hell i took out a formation this weekend, but its still a learning experience even when you have thousands of jumps. ask around a lot of people will tell you that they had a ton of trouble as a student, even national champions had problems if you read interviews with them. ive also noticed you ask numerous questions, which is good, but a lot of what youre asking about will come to you later in your student progression. all you need to know now is what your instructors tell you and to RELAX, ARCH, PRACTICE and rock out man. keep at it, its an awesome sport and youll be happy when you get your license. and finally remember, you got past the fear to do something that not many other people have done, jump out of an airplane. youre off to a rough start, but that doesnt mean you have to continue. keep practicing your arch and just let go. ill cya next weekend, my names adam and i wear the red freefly jumpsuit with the flowers on it.
"its just a normal day at the dropzone until its not"

You have three minutes of practice..... You expected to be good?

I have never golfed, so would it be realistic for me to expect to be good by the 8th hole?

My wife does not know how to drive a stick..... Will three minutes of instruction set her up to succeed?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

he doesnt need more of the obvious guys, cant you think back to when you struggled with something like stability when you started out? didnt you ever question yourself skydiving? someone with 5500 jumps should have some awesome advice for a lot of people, especially a student having trouble. people like him are the ones that help expand our sport. he isnt reckless or dumb, hes just having trouble with a fundamental skill that many struggle with.

Well, thanks, now I know I'm not the only one. No, I shouldn't compare myself to others. But you know how that feeling is... I should be getting this... why am I not getting it? And with everything else to think about, like... will I have a good opening... there goes another two hundred bucks... winter is coming...

I think you're right, I am getting ahead of myself, and I'm rushing to do all this stuff perfectly in 60 seconds. Maybe it's performance anxiety.

I am going to change my perspective. I can't freefall very well yet, but I can fly the canopy, and I love the canopy ride. I stay up there as long as I can. The last time, the radio lady said "Why don't you do some 360s? You're not coming down as fast as I thought." Well, there was a reason for that!

So I will just think "If all I do is pay $200 for an assisted freefall and an awesome solo canopy ride and landing, it's worth it." Which it is. And I'll just do my best in freefall.

The constant mental tension of trying to be perfect in three minutes of experience isn't relaxing. :)

Yep. That's definitely not enjoyable. And the money involved adds pressure to make fast progress. I'm going to go up and say, screw it, I'm going to enjoy myself. If it takes me 100 jumps to get my A license so be it.

exactly! you definitely are not the only one, i myself struggled with in the plane anxiety my first few jumps. i always got nervous about flying a good pattern, or landing off etc. but thats what is awesome about skydiving, there are tons of aspects that constantly push you to improve. just keep your head on straight, make sure youre listening to the instructors like sherry, because she will be able to help you very much. there is nothing wrong with taking a few seconds, watching the plane fly away and literally taking a big deep breath which will help you settle into your arch. then start your dive flow. your student progression wont be perfect, no ones is, but after you get that stability you will be so psyched! and if youre pumped on the canopy flight now, it only gets better. there will always be the anxiety of having a good opening, but if you knew it was going to open perfect every time it wouldnt be exciting right? everyone has malfunctions, everyone has problems, everyone has things they question themselves on, the environement of freefall just amplifies these. before you know it youll be licensed and this will be a laughable memory. keep at it man!

In the tunnel my instructor, the same one I was jumping on AFF with, helped me to relax also, but mainly, all he told me was to smile, and when you do that, the rest kinda all falls into place. It's weird, but you will really struggle to be tense and stiff if you have a great big smile on your face! :D

Hey, you're right! I'm going to try that! :)

My instructors keep telling me that I need to relax and that I'm too tense.

there you go - they know where you are better than any of us. Work with them.

Sometimes just telling someone "you need to relax" is an easy bit of advice that turns into a cliche. if it is not working to just get the reminder, find that coach you are most comfortable with and ask if they can expand on the short comment and maybe help you with breathing or other relaxation techniques. "relax" can mean a lot of things to different people, they have to find your version and train/verbalize in your language to be effective with you

sometimes, though, a student really just needs to "just relax", and it takes a few more jumps to get comfy in the element - that means a couple of jumps, strike the comfy arch (and give it a chance to work) smile, breath, etc and it'll click once your body figures out that it belongs in the wind

we can't really tell which guy you are from here though

work it with your instructors, though. a website isn't going to help at all and advice here might undermine whatever plan they have for you

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

he doesnt need more of the obvious guys, cant you think back to when you struggled with something like stability when you started out? someone with 5500 jumps should have some awesome advice for a lot of people, especially a student having trouble.

The guy is beating himself up for not being good with only 3 MINs of practice. Some would think a guy with 5500 jumps, three instructor ratings, and a few national medals might know how to teach and react to a student better than a guy with 120 jumps and no ratings..... Just saying.

he isnt reckless or dumb, hes just having trouble with a fundamental skill that many struggle with.

No one said he was reckless or dumb. We are stating that he is having an issue THAT MANY PEOPLE HAVE and that maybe, just maybe, he has unrealistic expectations of himself.

Someone with 5500 jumps and been teaching skydiving for 15+ years might have seen this a few times in those 15+ years and might actually know a way to handle the situation.

Someone with 5500 jumps and been teaching skydiving for 15+ years might actually know that the TECHNICAL aspects of his issue are best left for those qualified instructors that actually SEE him and can fix the issue in person, and that any technical advice from 1000 miles away based on the perception of what the guy with 4 jumps THINKS he is doing is not worth much for a TECHNICAL debrief anyway.

Someone with 5500 jumps that has been teaching for 15+ years might know that the BEST thing he can do is to let the guy know that someone with 5500 jumps 3 ratings and several nationals medals thinks that the guy with 4 jumps is being a little too hard on himself and he should relax and compare other activities to his current situation and get a more realistic set of expectations on himself.

You think this is the first time that I have seen a guy in this situation?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

According to your post, you thought you were relaxed, but the freefall was a blur. You weren't as relaxed as you thought.
Will looking at the horizon help? You should be looking where you're supposed to be looking. If you're supposed to be looking at your heading, look at whatever you're using to hold a heading. If you're supposed to be checking your altitude, look at your altimeter. If you're supposed to be looking at an instructor, look at him. Take your time.
Unless you fly jets, you probably do most of your flying below the AFF pull altitude. You've got plenty of altitude, so you've got plenty of time. No need to get in a hurry.
A trip to a wind tunnel would probably be time well spent, but if that's not a good option, you can still progress just fine. The real key is to slow down and keep your brain ahead of your body.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

cant you think back to when you struggled with something like stability when you started out?

I don't think Ron needs to think back to his own experience. He likely works with 1 or 2 people like this each weekend.

teaching this stuff gives you way more tools than just personal anecdotes - when we teach, we see more than just our own historical version, so we have more examples to draw from to fix it. Newbies just assume their personal experience applies to everyone else.

(:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:I think he has a lot of jumps, a few ratings and has been teaching for some time now. But I'm just guessing)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Will looking at the horizon help? You should be looking where you're supposed to be looking. If you're supposed to be looking at your heading, look at whatever you're using to hold a heading.

I thought the horizon would help more in the sense of staying straight and level. Maybe I don't realize how unstable I am because I'm not SEEING it. Actually, I was kind of wondering why my instructors were jerking me around so much... when it was the exact opposite!

thats understood, and i didnt mean to call you out in that way, i just remember that when i had issues, people would be like "oh well you need more jumps" but youre so amped up about skydiving at 4 jumps that its hard to take a step back and see that. im not undermining your ratings or experience, i just feel like people do better when they have a "hey it happens to everyone" response. no hard feelings and im not pretending to know oodles of info, i still learn every time i jump and ask questions of the instructors and other jumpers that have more experience. so no need to exert your obvious dominance haha i understand i have 15 times less years experience than you and im not trying to pretend i do. blue skies!

thats understood, and i didnt mean to call you out in that way, i just remember that when i had issues, people would be like "oh well you need more jumps" but youre so amped up about skydiving at 4 jumps that its hard to take a step back and see that.

No issue.... We used to have a phrase we used to use a lot before there were tunnels: "That is nothing a thousand jumps will not fix". It seems now the thing is to say: "That is nothing an hour of tunnel will not fix"

The hardest thing in this sport is to *not* give advice. You mean well, you are so excited you want to share it..... But with experience you learn to know when you are unable to really help.... And the best you can do is either nothing, or just reaffirm what others are telling them.

Be safe

(SlySlySlyI think he has a lot of jumps, a few ratings and has been teaching for some time now. But I'm just guessing)

Just guessing huh????? I seem to recall several hours spent in the tunnel with some team that had a name like a VCR button :P

Perhaps some insight from someone who's about at the same progression though AFF is beneficial?

As has been mentioned, relaxing can solve many a skydiving problem while going through AFF. Taking a deep breathe in through the nose and out the mouth has a physiological effect on the body. This isn't witchcraft, it's medically proven to having a relaxing effect on the body.

My instructors constantly remind us to breathe and relax. We do it before we board the plane, on the ride up, as we're walking to the door, and in free fall. In addition, it may also help you to visualize the entire dive flow from when you exit the plane to when you touch the ground. Visualize everything, even visualize you arching your back.

I do this on the ride up after we pass 2500 and i've finished my altitude mental snapshots.

In addition, perhaps doing some simple stretching exercises before you gear up might help you relax.

Granted, i don't have any problems exiting (i look forward to jumping out) and i've completed my levels without any issues. But, i still need to relax so i can focus on the task at hand.

Simply running to the tunnel to try and fix the problem may not work if you are still tense when it comes time to exit an actual plane. Don't get me wrong, tunnel time can be beneficial. But it does't sound like your problem is something technical (stability, spinning, etc.).

My humble suggestion, find a relaxation technique that works best for you. The mind controls the body, if you think you're mentally relaxed but your body is tense...your not mentally relaxed.