miraclecreator

= New Skydiving Gear =

You don't have to voice you opinion if you don't want to but please dont think of this as a joke.

And the great thing about this forum is that I do get to expreess my opinion if I want to.

Maybe you augment the electrical shock system with flares or smoke signals, different colours could mean different things :)

Now it seems to me, if I recall correctly, that once upon a time, you yourself Ian was contemplating the merritt of placing a "SHOCK COLLAR" around the necks of students to "remind" them to flare;):P:)B|:P:)

And I still support that idea! Nothing new to invent, just go to the pet store and pick them up. :P
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Maybe this is already around, haven't shopped audibles lately, but it would be cool to enable a audible with GPS, taking readings at incriments of say .1 sec as well as recording altitude at the same incriments. Then you could download into your pc and look at your skydive in 3D. Could be especially useful for canopy pilots wanting to know ground speed, vertical descent rate, etc...also beneficial for students struggling with landing patterns...
Dudeist Skydiver #0511

Maybe this is already around, haven't shopped audibles lately, but it would be cool to enable a audible with GPS, taking readings at incriments of say .1 sec as well as recording altitude at the same incriments. Then you could download into your pc and look at your skydive in 3D. Could be especially useful for canopy pilots wanting to know ground speed, vertical descent rate, etc...also beneficial for students struggling with landing patterns...

Many Wingsuiters already jump with audible sized GPS receivers/loggers and do exactly as you described using Paralog software to view and compile the data. The problem with integrating a working audible and a GPS receiver into one unit is not an easy or straight forward task as the unit is no longer the size needed to fit into an audible pocket.

Alti-2 built a version of this idea that included a HUD, it was called the Titan and they even had it on their website for awhile. However, getting everything to play together right and do all of the tasks seamlessly in one package, to include the required software was/is a challenge. Aside from the prototypes made/tested, the Titan was never offered for sale.

Again, the end product would be larger than the standard audible today so until the internal parts get smaller than they already are you're going to have this huge device. But a good example to look at is cell phones, look how huge they started off as and look at them now. Also keep in mind the amount of money that was spent to get them to the point they are now over all those years and the customer base as that had a lot to do with it's progress.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Wow, that's some serious misinformation. 4Hz GPS modules (not .1 seconds, but .25) were pretty common (and reasonably cheap) 10 years ago. I've designed many devices using those chips.

I'm curious, how "atomic clock" and 1Hz are tied together in your world?

enable a audible with GPS, taking readings at incriments of say .1 sec

That is technically impossible. GPS is based on signals sent to the device at exactly 1 sec increments. Think atomic clock measurements. That is how the device works.

Una volta che avrete imparato a Volare, camminerete sulla terra guardando il cielo perchè è là che siete stati ed è là che vorrete tornare.

As far as I'm aware, the GPS signal is repeated every millisecond. The reason most GPS units have historically had low sampling frequencies (~1 Hz) is due to the computational overhead required to make use of the increased amount of data. In most cases (driving/hiking GPS for example) it's been an unnecessary cost, but higher frequency receivers (5, 10, even 20 Hz) have been around for many years, mainly for specialized uses.

edit: holy necro