climberjumper

Too much hassle?

Here's the thing:
- I live in Zurich, Switzerland and have no car. I have 19 jumps (8 AFF & 11 normal).
- It takes me 2 hours to get to the DZ (2 trains & 1 bus)
- 1+ hours to pack my chute (4 safety checks which must be approved by instructor who is always busy)
- I manage to do 1 - 2 jumps (if the wind/rain stays away)
- 2 hours back to Zurich.

I honestly do like skydiving. But it appears that I really need to dedicate my entire day off work just to do two jumps. I work long hours, stressfull finance job, sometimes I don't get a day off (I work through the weekend sometimes)

Also, the DZ's close from October to April. Do people have similiar experiences as I do?

Dive safe

find someone with whom you can carpool. Many people from Zurich jumping.
Pack faster
Find another DZ
poor finance worker.... try working as a travel agent, you won't even have the money for the fun :P

scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

It takes me 2 hours to get to the DZ (2 trains & 1 bus)

A lot of people take that much time or more to drive to the DZ. You're able to do other things during that time. I wish I had 2 trains and a bus that could get me there in 2 hours.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I thought I'd heard all the excuses not to jump by now, but that's a new one. "Too much hassle!" :D

If you don't want to jump, don't jump. If you want to jump, make it happen. It's just a decision. Where there's a will, there's a way and all that. :P

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

I just looked up the DZ locator at www.myskdive.de... and found: this link resulting in Skydive Zürich, hehe!

Apart from that: Just stay at the DZ on a rainy, windy day and ask/persuade instructors or old farts (best. old fart instructors) to learn packing. Demanding, exhausting 3-4 hours but worth it and you will pack much faster after the ordeal ;)

2 hours isn't thaaat bad. Just take care you are focused, improve your packing and go for it. Stay there at the weekend, better ratio of "travel time" to "jump time" :ph34r: And/or jump at Skydive Zürich?

The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

Can you stay there the night?
2 hours each way is a bit much but two hours in one day isn't all that bad!
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

I go to a DZ that is 2hrs drive from my house. I never thought twice about. It's absolutely worth a 2hr drive (each way) to jump out of a plane...even once.

Same, I try and plan it so I spend at least a few days tenting at the DZ and it's absolutely worth it for me. Plus, being 'stuck' up at the DZ really helps you meet the community since you're there for the dinners, the bonfires, and the general shit-shooting instead of racing home and missing it all. I'm not the most outgoing guy around, but being around so much has certainly helped.

I you were guaranteed to get laid every time you went to the drop zone you would figure out a way to make it work. ;)

Sparky

Truer words... ;)
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

It will get better, you'll pack quicker and those safety checks will also get quicker when the instructors see your face all the time and know your serious. It's all about putting in the time, there is no substitute for dedication, and the experienced jumpers will notice and respect that.

I've visited Zurich a few times, I sure wouldn't mind taking 2 hours to get back home to that ghetto, especially on a Swiss train, they are plush and you can bet your ass they are on time....to the second!

_tm
El Cap 699

I guess you have to decide whether it's worth it for you. It takes about 45 min- 1 hour to get to our DZ, and we're out there pretty much every weekend. Days off are "days at the DZ" for the most part, although we are trying to balance it out with other stuff :)

Many of our jumpers come from further than that, I know of one who is there every weekend who drives 4-5 hours, and many who drive 3 hours one way.

Up here in Canada, our season is quite short, too. We make up for it by going south in the winter when we can, or finding other fun ways to keep occupied during the cold winter months ;)

DZs are fewer and further between here as well, so many of us travel far to skydive. You and only you can make the decision as to whether it's worth it or not.

Packing, etc. those will get faster in time, which will allow you to get more jumps in a day if that's what you want. And possibly you'll meet someone with whom you can carpool if you don't like the train, although it sounds like a sweet ride to me! You can get up earlier and just nap all the way there and you're there in no time!

And use the downtime - rain, wind etc. to learn things you can only learn on the ground.

- 1+ hours to pack my chute (4 safety checks which must be approved by instructor who is always busy)
- I manage to do 1 - 2 jumps (if the wind/rain stays away)

But it appears that I really need to dedicate my entire day off work just to do two jumps.

Things are different for students and experienced jumpers.

With more experience you can carefully pack a parachute in 6-7 minutes.

Licensed skydivers (starts at 25 jumps in the US and I think FAI requirements are similar) are subject to much less supervision than students which should limit the safety checks.

I've made 10 jumps in one day and find 5 or 6 pleasant and unhurried.