rss_v

Experience level for heli jumps

I'll be contacting the DZ directly soon, when I get a chance, but in a few weeks there are some heli jumps being offered at a DZ I could get to. They're about twice the cost of a normal jump ticket but could be worth trying. I'm wondering if there are any usual experience requirements, i.e jump numbers, for taking part in heli jumps?

Thanks

I'll be contacting the DZ directly soon, when I get a chance, but in a few weeks there are some heli jumps being offered at a DZ I could get to. They're about twice the cost of a normal jump ticket but could be worth trying. I'm wondering if there are any usual experience requirements, i.e jump numbers, for taking part in heli jumps?

Thanks

I've seen both B and C required, depending on the organiser. I've not come across low jump number A license holders being allowed (I know someone with 800 jumps and an A license, and am pretty sure he's jumped helicopters)
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Thanks

I've seen both B and C required, depending on the organiser. I've not come across low jump number A license holders being allowed (I know someone with 800 jumps and an A license, and am pretty sure he's jumped helicopters)

Damn, OK. I probably wouldn't be allowed, then. What makes heli jumps more "challenging", as it were?

you have to not open your parachute too early, cos if you do then you might get sucked up into the rotor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQg8JKo_3ZQ
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

you have to not open your parachute too early, cos if you do then you might get sucked up into the rotor

Damn those magic rotors that are blowing air down, but suck parachutes up:P
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I've no idea why they have those requirements. The last time I had the opportunity I fell below the minimum experience.

My guess is that it has to do with lower exit altitudes with less airspeed. A less experienced person may freak out. But it doesn't hurt to ask,.

Thanks

As long as the exit altitude is high enough for a low-time jumper to get stable and deploy at their "legal" altitude, there's no reason to place minimums on chopper jumps.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Thanks

The answer is, as is often the case, it depends. At my DZ, the Mi8 helicopter goes to 13500, runs in at pretty much the same speed as the Turbo Lets, and it is not at all unusual for AFF (pre-licence) jumpers to jump from them. For the Mi8, the only real considerations are the different indicators of when to jump / abort jumping (no lights, instead a horn), and if the tail gates are off, which makes the exit a little different. And if you climb onto the fuel tank for an exit, you have to jump out a fair way to make sure the wheel does not hit you (I have seen a broken leg caused by that).

Of course, if you are jumping a tiny helicopter where you have to sit on the skids to exit, the whole thing is very different. Probably best to check with with DZ when you can.

I'm NOT totally useless... I can be used as a bad example

Sometimes a DZO will use the minimum national requirements, other times they may raise the minimum somewhat. That would largely be for the vague general reason sometimes used in skydiving, that the more jumps you have, the less likely you are to screw up something simple.

On a typical small helicopter used for a special skydiving event (not a large Eastern helicopter) you might be in a cramped cabin with minimal space to check gear, you need to climb out onto the narrow landing skid before the jump (and not slip), for flight safety the pilot probably wants you to step off and not push off the aircraft, and you may go unstable on exit due to the low airspeed normally used. Nothing terribly complicated but with more experience the risk of a problem might be less.

I hope you're joking.

maybe I should have added a smiley to indicate the tone of my post, like :P or ;) or maybe :S

I didn't realise that anyone would take me seriously!

I hope you're joking.

maybe I should have added a smiley to indicate the tone of my post, like :P or ;) or maybe :S

With the level of stupid that usually posts around here....one never knows

maybe I should have added a smiley to indicate the tone of my post, like Tongue or Wink or maybe Crazy

You're posting in a topical forum. Attempts to be humorous are frowned upon in a topical forum. Was a time when a post like yours would have disappeared within minutes... it really sucks that that time is long past.

Why would there be an increased possibility of an off field landing when jumping from an almost stationary aircraft?
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

Because at boogies the chopper dropper will often drop you off from the regular spot, and at a lower altitude because there are other loads turning.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Thanks

There are many that have made their first jump from a helicopter.

Depends on the DZ. I did my first Heli jump with a lowly A license and about 33 jumps. Be careful! Heli jumps will spoil you and might make you want to BASE jump! Dead air exits are the shit! Makes you feel like your first few jumps all over again...
And the main reason I hear most DZOs want a minimum of a B license is because they normally don't go very high (hop and pop) and it is a "dead air" exit, which is super cool but takes a bit of getting used to.
Essentially you don't have enough airspeed when you exit to control your body, so crazy weird things can happen to the unexperienced...

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

Depends on the DZ.

In my (admittedly very limited) experience it has been the helicopter operator, not the DZO, who has been requesting the higher experience.

I have usually seen B license and sometimes 100 jumps as requirements.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

I started my AFF jumping of Mi-8 (turboprop multi-purpose 10-seat heli). No special skill required. Alt up to 4000m (13000 ft), exit at ground speed about 90 km/h (56 mph). Same price for me... nothing so special.

Those MI-8's are the best! They carry as many or more than a twin otter, have a nice tailgate and, well, they're helos. Vskydiver and I jumped those down in Acapulco years ago. I'm jealous of anyone who jumps them all the time.

Most helo specialty jumps are out of smaller helos. Cramped seating, new sets of snag hazards, and that tricky, slicky skid to climb out onto. I've even seen video of a woman jumper getting her chest strap caught on the skid. Such a jump calls for a little more ability and awareness than just flopping out of a Caravan door. :)