BKS60

How High

Was having breakfast with my folks and my grandson and my mother was talking about my addiction. She said how years ago that when she went to the top of the Empire State Building how the height (1454) bothered her.
When I explained that we stepped out of the plane at ten times that height and were looking at entering our landing pattern a limitless below that point she just shook her head and laughed.
Just kind of put it in perspective.
"You don't get many warnings in this sport before you get damaged"

Perspective is the kernel of the problem.

I can't stand on a roof of a two story building. I can't go up ladders that are too high and I have serious problems with glass elevators. However, I have zero problems stepping out at skydiving altitudes.

When I leave the plane, the problem isn't how high I am, it is how low I am and do I trust my gear. Well, I trust my gear and I trust my ability to use it correctly. When I'm on a ladder I don't trust the ladder, nor do I trust the complete lack of safety gear. All I have is a PLF and a bunch of hope.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

For me, it's a matter of perspective as well.

Like you, I can't be at the edge of a building. It doesn't matter how high it is, though. One story is enough.

For me, if I'm connected to the ground, it sets off the "vertigo". It's an actual physical response.

I have never had that in an airplane. It's that everything is just small. When you are attached to the ground, there is a realization that you're "yelp, really high"

Going up the ladder is easy, going down it (or getting onto it from the roof) is enough to cause a total meltdown. [:/]

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Perspective is the kernel of the problem.

I can't stand on a roof of a two story building. I can't go up ladders that are too high and I have serious problems with glass elevators. However, I have zero problems stepping out at skydiving altitudes.

When I leave the plane, the problem isn't how high I am, it is how low I am and do I trust my gear. Well, I trust my gear and I trust my ability to use it correctly. When I'm on a ladder I don't trust the ladder, nor do I trust the complete lack of safety gear. All I have is a PLF and a bunch of hope.

And people think you are being funny, a skydiver afraid of heights! Someone once told me that he are afraid, because our subconscious is wanting us to jump, or at least calculating a jump. He reckoned that's why we're not afraid when jumping. I've always liked that explanation, even if it is a load of rubbish.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

+1

And for the love of God I just can't jump into the water head down, pool or sea, regardless. I tried many times, but it always ends up a painful flat belly splash. I'm endless source of fun for my folks when I try. No problem though to throw myself out of the plane head down. ;)
Love never fails

F**K glass elevators.:o

I think they're kind of cool. I mash my face right up against the glass and watch the ground rush up at me. It's as close as you can get to experiencing "ground rush", without actually being in real danger.

F**K glass elevators.:o

I think they're kind of cool. I mash my face right up against the glass and watch the ground rush up at me. It's as close as you can get to experiencing "ground rush", without actually being in real danger.

Peach Tree Plaza in Atlanta has the best glass elevators I have ever been on. Safety meeting then ride the elevators. That was in 1979 during a brief stay at the Benning School for Boys.
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

I do not like high rise balconies or rooftops.

I also do not like to fly in planes so I'm actually afraid of flying. If I am wearing a parachute the same fear is not there-gone. Flying in a commercial jet being able to bring a parachute as a carry-on item lessens my dislike of flying. I really didn't like the airplane crash sequence in the film The Grey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLLcH0x1kwg

Its interesting, when I jump it feels so natural and normal, even under canopy and setting up landings. It never feels high at all. Just a skydive. However, if you actually think about what it is that you're doing and bring it into perspective its a trip. Stepping out of a plane at 18,000ft isn't something I would have imagined doing on a regular basis.

Flew in two commercial planes Friday. I haven't flown laty when I wasn't sitting on the floor. LOL

The commercial flights I've been on lately had seats as hard as the floor and just as cramped conditions as a skydive load.

I love heights, and used to climb the tower we started BASEing from almost daily just for a workout and to sit up nearer the sky and clouds...

Only once in 66 jumps did I think (on a AFF) here I am at 5000 feet hanging by only lines and nylon WTF !!

people who have not skdived just do not realise

a no vertigo !!

b no sense of invasion of personal space (on a tandem) I mean one could think here I am strapped to another man in a slightly suss position. "just lower yourself onto my lap greg " (WTF)

c even the constant passing of gas before jump time is a bit different.

BUT for some reason none of that matters in the air !!
c just cause you skydive does not mean you are not afraid of heights for some reason its just different up there and under canopy.

WHUFFOS think you are either very brave or very stupid. I am neither.. well not brave anyway !!

Like you if some one had said you will do 66 jumps (and I know thats not many for most of you) I would have thought they were crazy.

Some folk at work think I am a skygod cause done 66 jumps .... litle do they realise i am just a silly bald 53 year old wannabee... ask squeak he will tell you.
I tend to be a bit different. enjoyed my time in the sport or is it an industry these days ??