jclalor

Bird strike at Lodi

Stopped off at Lodi for a quick jump today, I noticed we stopped climbing around 2500 ft for a minute or so. Once back on the ground we heard that the Otter hit a decent size bird. The bird was still plastered on the wing when the plane landed and I was told it left a good size dent.

Anyone hear anything else?

I was sitting in the back and felt nothing. Someone who was sitting in the front told me the pilot was thinking about letting everyone out at 3, maybe that was the short delay. There were a few that did a planned H&P from 3. They flew the plane for one more load then switched otters.

They didn't ground the plane after the strike? At least long enough to inspect it? Wow. [:/]

the Nemo Skyvan didn't stop to inspect after a GROUND strike of the wing...
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Wait a minute. You were there and you are asking us if we heard anything else? WTF is wrong with you?

What the fuck is wrong with me? not a damn thing and I aint asking you about shit.
I was wondering if anyone who was jumping there had heard anything else, I packed and left a few minutes after this jump. I failed to conduct a complete investigation, so sorry.

Why bother? Apparently it climbed and landed fine even with the bird attached.

Please tell me your joking?

Yes she's serious. And don't call her Joking.

Roger.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Please tell me your joking?

Not joking. My name is Shirley.

Apparently 20 or so people thought it was okay to get on the plane after it landed. And apparently it took off, flew and landed fine on that load too since we haven't heard about it crashing.

There's no FAA requirement to report a bird strike and at least a load full of jumpers on the dz didn't care. So again, why bother? As long as it all works out okay, it's safe. Right?

We had one shortly after take off nail the wing of the PAC right at the stall switch.

No more stall alarms to bother us!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I used to get a kick out of testing the stall alarms on Otters - during flight of course.
Sure wakes up the pilot from his lunch or from facebook.

Wonder why so many Otters no longer have the switch in the overhead panel.....hmmm.

I used to get a kick out of testing the stall alarms on Otters - during flight of course.
Sure wakes up the pilot from his lunch or from facebook.

Wonder why so many Otters no longer have the switch in the overhead panel.....hmmm.

I want to record the stall alarm on a Cessna then randomly play it on a UNICOM freq. :)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Small birds really don't stand a chance of doing any serious damage to high speed sheet metal. I've hit 'em with the front of my car and they just explode into a cloud of feathers. They don't even fracture a plastic grill. Birds don't weigh much, and their skinny little bones are hollow. If they put a little dimple in the leading edge of the wing, that's no big deal, as you know from the construction that there's nothing behind that dimple to be harmed, and the dimple is too small to have any significant effect on lift.

Bigger birds like geese are another matter.