Jamdiablo

Music for Skydiving Videos

OMG come on people were talking about SKYDIVING here:S not night clubbing, not dance class, and not a tea party:P. When I see skydiving your never going to see me head banging away to that hardcore, heavy metal rocker John Mayer:S:S:S holy cow I'd rather swallow my altimeter. When someone sees a skydiving video, base video, swooping, low hi speed pass ect ect I hope all they hear and see is raw energy, power, excitment, shock and awwwwww. Please Please reflect in your videos what it really going on I.E slipknot, muddvayn, arch enemy, soilwork, metalica, system of a down, shadows fall, in flames, it dies today, trivium, as i lay dying, ect ect. So please again I'd like to never ever see another techno/dance crap trance skydiving video ever again. Ok that felt good to get off my chest....

Dude next you'll be saying that disco is dead and leading a campaign to smash disco music 45's.

Although I love ALL different types of music...dance music being one of them ...I do agree that dance music can be souless when watching a skydiving video.

My AFF I had rock and metal on there simple as...sommit with a bit of balls to it Metallica being the flagship band I had to have on there.

My outtakes version I wanted the Benny Hill music but unfortunately I ended up with wait for it....dance music!!!!!:S

OMG come on people were talking about SKYDIVING here:S not night clubbing, not dance class, and not a tea party:P. When I see skydiving your never going to see me head banging away to that hardcore, heavy metal rocker John Mayer:S:S:S holy cow I'd rather swallow my altimeter. When someone sees a skydiving video, base video, swooping, low hi speed pass ect ect I hope all they hear and see is raw energy, power, excitment, shock and awwwwww. Please Please reflect in your videos what it really going on I.E slipknot, muddvayn, arch enemy, soilwork, metalica, system of a down, shadows fall, in flames, it dies today, trivium, as i lay dying, ect ect. So please again I'd like to never ever see another techno/dance crap trance skydiving video ever again. Ok that felt good to get off my chest....

or maybe some of us actually fried way too many brain cells in the nineties on acid, e, cocaine, heroin, k, freebase...etc and really truly like the stuff..

Dave
PS: I gave all that up and used skydiving and beer to cope
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

I.E slipknot, muddvayn, arch enemy, soilwork, metalica, system of a down, shadows fall, in flames, it dies today, trivium, as i lay dying, ect ect.

Yes! Anything that conveys pure energy in my opinion is perfect, as long it is not overdone. Constant overdone screaming in my opinion is a big no no, but nice guitar work with a fast pace beat goes perfect for pretty much any skydive vid. Just remember to match up the pace of the video with the speed of the beat, otherwise everything will look odd.

Btw, I saw In Flames live, nothing but energy and excitement. Hope it will compare to my first skydive experience in 10 days (I'll finally be 18).

so far it's looking relatively limited in the choices here. Fairly single minded. Ever considered classical, jazz or blues? Skydiving elicits many emotions as does music. No need to limit skydiving to only one direction. I've used Beethoven, Miles Davis, Duke Ellington, my own work. At times I do wonder if it's a generational thing (I'm 53) but I've been into quite an eclectic variety of music all my life. Others must be too, maybe. At least one other? For a whiole there I used Yello, a European duo who put out some interesting stuff. Or how about Raymond Scott? Please think variety and range. It's gotten so I can't stand most if most all skydiving videos anymore because they seem to be only a slight variation on a tired theme. No one has any creativity, no sense of stepping out of the standard molds and daring enough to expand. Pity. Sad. Limited. Empty.

so far it's looking relatively limited in the choices here. Fairly single minded. Ever considered classical, jazz or blues? Skydiving elicits many emotions as does music. No need to limit skydiving to only one direction. I've used Beethoven, Miles Davis, Duke Ellington, my own work. At times I do wonder if it's a generational thing (I'm 53) but I've been into quite an eclectic variety of music all my life. Others must be too, maybe. At least one other? For a whiole there I used Yello, a European duo who put out some interesting stuff. Or how about Raymond Scott? Please think variety and range. It's gotten so I can't stand
most if most all skydiving videos anymore because they seem to be only a slight variation on a tired theme. No one has any creativity, no sense of stepping out of the standard molds and daring enough to expand. Pity. Sad. Limited. Empty.

thats it kim I am going to drop some herbie hancock tracks on my next joint man....

and maybe some james emery and the new york string trio ooo that would make some crazy videos...

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

Bittersweet Symph. by the Verve
Any thing by the Chilli Peppers
Paper Airplanes by AFI
Rip out the wings of a butterfly by HIM
classics by Tom Petty, Guns n' Roses, etc
any thing w/ a good beat and high chill factor
"Sometimes you eat the bar,
and well-sometimes the bar eats you..."

What makes good music for skydiving videos?

I asked for Offspring - Original Prankster on my video. Some tunes I haven't heard used on videos, but I think would be interesting to try:

Rush - La Villa Strangiato. Instrumental and might need a bit of editing - parts of it are somewhat slow and it's a rather long track.
Peter Gabriel - Solsbury Hill. The acoustic guitar wouldn't fit very well, but the lyrics are perfect IMHO.
Devo - Here to Go. Might be a little too 80s-synthesizer for some, but the music and words fit well.
Devo - Gut Feeling. Mostly for the great instrumental buildup that happens in the first minute or so of the song. This would be put with the gear-up and climb footage; the cymbal crash/first words would get synced to the exit.
Orb - Little Fluffy Clouds. Sort of a dance/techno sound.
Yes - Starship Trooper, Roundabout, Owner of a Lonely Heart. A few of these are long and/or have slow bits, but I think they'd work.

Plus possibly some Emerson Lake and Palmer tracks and some _early_ Pink Floyd tracks - not the obvious one or the stuff they play on the radio all the time.

Eule

Yes, this is a late reply; I'm catching up on quite a backlog.
(edited for tyops and to add stuff)
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

I just finished my first ever skydiving video, and the one thing I'm least happiest about is the music.

The first 5 minutes are ground school... The next 7 minutes are skydiving.

For the DVD menu music I used Joe Satriani, Just look up. For the actual footage, I used Iron Maiden, Aces high followed by Where eagles dare.

Timing wise, it works ok, and a lot of the tempo changes work nicely with fades in / out and scene changes. But it still doesn't seem to flow quite right.

Frankly, I think many video folks try too hard to make their films "interesting." It's one thing to compile a bunch of stuff geared for experienced jumpers, but when we're talking about preparing a video for students, etc. I have a suggestion:

Just give them a recording of the event. No music, no fancy gee-whiz camera crap, etc. Shoot the people gathering around during the gear-up & aircraft boarding. Aim out the door and get a long shot of the takeoff. Shoot several chunks of aircraft time, especially a long look out the door, at the airplane wing, the clouds, maybe a long shot of the DZ if possible.

Keep the camera rolling during the climb-out, the jump, and the canopy ride, all the way to the ground. But don't stop here. Capture the event: the jumpers landing, a slow pan of the DZ, the post-jump comments. And, please, aside from asking a student "What did you think?" don't ask the same stupid question you ask everybody else. It's funny the first time.

They're going to be watching this many times and showing it to their friends. It's already plenty entertaining. There will be other moments to show off your tight editing and other production skills. Why not send them home with an exciting, accurate depiction of what happens on a skydive, rather than a collection of quick "action" shots set to music that some people might enjoy?

Cheers,
Jon S.

I'm currently putting together a vid, and I have to say, I am partial to punk music, but here's what I have so far. (PS: I like music that works with the material, and has a skydiving related title/lyrics)

- Grey Skies Turn Blue - MxPx
- I caught Fire - The Used
- Long Way to Fall - Autopilot Off
- Fly - Sugar Ray (good for canopy flight)
And My Favorite: - I Believe I can Fly - Remake by Me First and the Gimme Gimmes.
God made firefighters so paramedics would have heroes...and someone can put out the trailer fires.

I'm an "old guy", so I tend to listen to older rock stuff, a lot of which I associate with good times on dropzones in the seventies. The Cars have a bunch of tunes, especially "Let the Good Times Roll" that are great. Some of the older Rolling Stones, like "Gimme Shelter" or "Parachute Woman" (they really did such a song, it's a great dirty blues on thheir Beggar's Banquet album). Blue Oyster Cult's "Don't Fear the Reaper" was a serious cult classic in the sport back in the day.

Mostly it just has to have the adrenaline FEEL to it. I try to explain to people that it's not quiet up there, but a shrieking loud adrenaline packed minute of weightless thrills. Anything thhat conveys that feeling is good.

And that includes a lot of Hendrix. He's absolutely timeless, nothing at all dated about his music.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

My first real take at video editing I used Black Eyed Peas - Let's Get Retarded. I think it goes well... see it here

Edited to add: my first attempt at a clicky didn't go so well ;)

Edited again to add: It wasn't an original skydiving choice... I first heard it on a video by Fuzzy and loved it.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

This is an old thread...would be interesting to see how/if the songs have changed.

I returned to the sport last year after 5 years off and started doing video again this year...for the most part, we're still using the same songs we were when I was out there last time. :)

Any new suggestions?