scottd818

Balloon JUMPS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Following is a list of considerations that all balloon jumpers should think about.

1. There is no established pattern when multiple persons are landing in the same landing area.

2. There is no jump run separation. I have been witness to experienced jumpers forget about the balloon above them and turn and fly directly underneath the balloon even though more jumpers exiting after them. Clear the airspace below the balloon quickly after you open.

3. Balloon pilots know nothing about skydiving, and haven't been briefed in any of the skydiving specific risks. They don't even know what they could do to undermine your safety. Expect that they will pressure you to get out of the balloon when they decide its the right time. Your ability to make an objective decision will be hindered when everyone is saying "get out".

4. Anxiety associated with landing out and potentially trespassing will make your landing skills much harder to execute. Be prepared not to jump if the balloon operator is asking you to get out, and you do not see several possible landing areas.

5. A basket load of jumpers and riders will increase the odds of pins being bumped, pilot chutes being moved, handles being jostled. Pay special attention to your gear in the balloon and have a buddy check it before you exit.

6. Spotting obstacles low will test your commitment to not making low turns. Do enough balloon jumps and you will end up identifying obstacles too low to get away from them. Look around after you land, did you see all the obstacles from the sky? How was your choice of landing areas? How close did you land to where you intended to land and at what altitude was your last decision about landing area made?

7. Its not uncommon to have low lying fog in early morning jumps which prevents you from being able to spot and assess landing areas from up high.

Every one of the previous comments should scare you and you should be intensely focused on the danger presented by the jump. The most important concept is to be prepared to ride the Balloon down. If anything doesn't seem right default to riding it down. Do not jump because others on the load do. You must critically assess your own capabilities and make your own determination to jump.

A skydiver who exhibits anything but 100% respect for someone who decides not to jump just demonstrated that they don't care if you get hurt. Stay away from those people.

Lastly, think about what you have just read. Do you think that you are now a safer jumper? The above list is anything but comprehensive (although its not a bad start). If you hadn't already considered all of the issues above, and planned the jump to minimize those dangers, then you were not ready to make the jump. Do you think that everyone on the load is aware of all of those dangers? Are you prepared to let someone elses fuck-up kill you?

Subsequently, reading this post does not mean you are ready to jump. If you do not have a background in alpinism, paragliding, whitewater kayaking, or some other sport that has forced you to build the mental faculties necessary to be responsible for your own safety in uncertain environments, you are probably not ready for this jump.

I did my first balloon jump at your level of experience. At that time I had spent every weekend for a decade in the mountains rock and ice climbing, and I was still wholly unprepared for the jump. I was lucky to not be injured, and was pretty damn close. I ended up turning downwind because of obstacles and was moving faster under canopy than I had ever before. So fast, in fact, that I didn't commit to PLF'ing due to fear although I should have. I ran it out and could have easily broke my leg.

I wrote the following last year after a local jumper was injured following a balloon jump.

A jump at Bridge Day pales in comparison to the technicality of a balloon jump where you don't know your landing area. There are stringent requirements for training and supervision in order to do the former. There are none for the later. This lack of any standard framework for preventing inexperienced jumpers from gaining access to these jumps requires that we adopt a strong unified stance that unseasoned jumpers should not be jumping balloons. When they have been indoctrinated with the seriousness of balloon jumps, and been around long enough to witness the carnage we see just trying to land in a massive open field, they will be able to make their own informed assessment of the risks versus the rewards.

Are you making an informed assessment or just gambling with your safety?

If you do not have a background in alpinism, paragliding, whitewater kayaking, or some other sport that has forced you to build the mental faculties necessary to be responsible for your own safety in uncertain environments, you are probably not ready for this jump.

You know what sport forces people to build the mental faculties necessary to be responsible for their own safety in uncertain environments?

Skydiving.

I suspect it's also more useful in preparing one for a balloon skydive than whitewater kayaking.
Apex BASE

hahaha! Honestly i wouldnt be suprised either. Ill let you know! wont it take longer than 12 seconds to fall 1500 ft since its a sub terminal exit. someone told me the first 1000 ft takes 15 second from sub terimal.

The first 1000 ft. takes just over 9 seconds. 15 seconds will put you around 2000 ft. YMMV

Sparky

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp55/mjosparky/Skydiving/FFchart.jpg
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

12 seconds to hit terminal 1485 feet

We don't really "hit" terminal. We approach (accelerate) to that speed quickly at first, but of course the approach as we get closer to that speed is very slow. It is more useful to say that we reach 95 or whatever % of terminal after whatever number of seconds. That is why one of the reasons why 'time to terminal' estimates can vary so much.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am