scottd818

Balloon JUMPS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im Doin my "presecond" Balloon jump on August 4! I couldnt be more stoked! Does anyone have any advice for me? I would also love to hear other peoples stories from there "presecond" balloon jump. I believe this balloon has a rope swing. I would love to try it. Any reasons why i shouldn't use it. Has anyone else on here used Above the Rest balloon company out of Perris?
Thanks
Blue skies

Even if your profile is correct with 55 jumps, I don't think you will have any problems with a balloon jump as long as there is a good LZ and/or lots of good outs. I DO think you should stick to a regular exit though (not the swing). I have done several, most of them falling off backwards with a camera. If they will let you jumps with two or three other jumpers, it's fun to just hop backwards off so you can talk with each other for the first 7-10 seconds.

Don't Pull Low... Unless You ARE!!!
The pessimist says, "It can't get any worse than this." The optimist says, "Sure, it can."
Be fun, have safe.

Yes my profile is correct, i currently have 55 jumps, but i should be around 70 when i do the auctual jump. There r about 5 of us jumpin, the rest of the ballon will be non jumpers. Most of us jumping have under 100 jumps so im not too interested in doin any more than a solo on this jump. One new variable is enough. Just fallin off backwards does sound fun but it will be a solo for me.

Newb here. You have 55 jumps, already jumping a camera, and now balloon jump? Isn't that....not safe? Someone? Anyone?

Welcome to the new age of skydiving. If you want, there are numerous low-jump-number w/ small-format-camera threads to vent on. Don't really see it changing what's happening on the ground though.

Just need to be B qualified to jump a balloon. Nothing to crazy about a balloon jump, it's dead air so body position is kind of key...but then again kind of not, because you have plenty of altitude. There is the likely hood that it may be an off DZ landing...but at 50 jumps most jumpers have already been in a situation where they landed somewhere other than intended LZ....and I doubt a balloon operator would put out a group over a heavely populated area. With some wits about you and some basic skills it's very fun jump with not much increased risk.

That's my 2 pesos. Other opinions may differ, I'm sure.

I've done several ballon jumps at Perris, there should plenty of good places to land, try to pick a spot with your fellow jumpers and try to land in the same place for safety and convenience. Why is having 55 jumps such a big deal? I think I did my first one at 30 or so, and trust me, I was not an exceptional jumper. Just leave the basket however your comfortable, get stable and pull when appropriate.

Rope swings? you might not need the extra excitement.

Watch out for the non jumpers, they can be a real pain in the ass and quite a distraction unless briefed on jumper procedures, tell them to shut up unless spoken to at exit time, don't let them crowd you if possible.
I also recommend you be the first to jump because the tension and stress builds when your a later jumper, you can also pick the landing direction instead of having to follow or be influenced by someone elses possible poor decision. One load I was on had a refuser who rode the ballon down rather than jump....seeing the other jumpers exit and fall away freaked her out, she had 100 or so jumps.

--Tom in Ca.

Good catch on that one. Kinda hard to hide. lol. If it makes a differance i didnt start wearing it till i got my B. and i got the blessing from my instructor who was on that jump with me and my DZO. lol;)

Yeah, of course you're way better than the rest of the jumpers for whom a 200 jump minimum is recommended...

B|

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Good catch on that one. Kinda hard to hide. lol. If it makes a differance i didnt start wearing it till i got my B. and i got the blessing from my instructor who was on that jump with me and my DZO. lol;)

Many here would say that's a poor choice you made about the camera. I'm afraid to ask what wing loading you're jumping right now. I will say this to you, though. A gal did a balloon jump last year. She ended up having to try & land in a small backyard. She got hurt very badly. She should've died (damn near did). Dunno where you'll be jumping, but hope there are a lot of wide open spaces around. Good Luck...

Yeah, of course you're way better than the rest of the jumpers for whom a 200 jump minimum is recommended...

B|

The key word is recommended. not required. and by no means am i way better than the rest of the jumpers. But atleast i seek advice from my instructors before trying ANYTHING new!;)

B|

The key word is recommended. not required. and by no means am i way better than the rest of the jumpers. But atleast i seek advice from my instructors before trying ANYTHING new!;)

Gotta love JEEP jumpers, (Just Enough Experience to Perform), reliance on semantics to justify their actions.

USPA has no authority to require anything, hence they recommend minimum performance standards. After all it's not like USPA recommendations are based on discussion with and feedback from Instructors, Manufacturers, Riggers, and Jumpers. Some of whom have two or even three times the experience that the OP does.

Over the past 29 years I've seen too many sub-100 jumpers push the limits, and far too often with regrettable to tragic results.

I know you're a wonder-kid in your own mind, and nothing anyone else will say will change your estimation of your mad skills. I hope you survive and someday realize how foolish your actions were.

BTW the Lol's were a nice touch.
I live with fear and terror, but sometimes I leave her and go skydiving.

I by no means consider myself a wonder kid in my own mind or anyone elses. and i definetly dont have mad skills at all! i gotta lot to learn. And i am constantly tryin to learn more. Cause at my stage the only think i know for sure is that i really dont know much. If u auctually knew me u would know that. ;)
Sooo what r the chances we can get back on topic. Id really like to learn more about balloon jumps. :)

already jumping a camera,

I can't possibly think of any reason there would be a minimum requirement to wear a darn camera. It's strapped to the helmet, you hardly know it's there. Slap one on a first time jumper and it's not gonna make a lick of a difference because they are too busy worrying about other things.

Maybe in the old days, but our technology has advanced and they make tiny and extremely lightweight cameras.

It just might promote people to try and "be cool for the camera"...but again...too busy worrying about other things.

I by no means consider myself a wonder kid in my own mind or anyone elses. and i definetly dont have mad skills at all! i gotta lot to learn. And i am constantly tryin to learn more. Cause at my stage the only think i know for sure is that i really dont know much. If u auctually knew me u would know that. ;)
Sooo what r the chances we can get back on topic. Id really like to learn more about balloon jumps. :)

Well...you get a "droppy" feeling. That's something different.

I can't possibly think of any reason there would be a minimum requirement to wear a darn camera. It's strapped to the helmet, you hardly know it's there.

It just might promote people to try and "be cool for the camera"...but again...too busy worrying about other things.

"Hey, is this on!? Is the light blinking? Are there numbers? One blink or two blinks? Three blinks? Shit, what does that mean? Oh, there went jump run! lol. lol."

Just need to be B qualified to jump a balloon. Nothing to crazy about a balloon jump, it's dead air so body position is kind of key...but then again kind of not, because you have plenty of altitude. There is the likely hood that it may be an off DZ landing...but at 50 jumps most jumpers have already been in a situation where they landed somewhere other than intended LZ....

I just considered the "typical" balloon jump, at least around here. In summer, the exit altitude is often only around 1200m. Not too bad if you (and most of all, your body) know what to do to get into a stable belly-to-earth position at low speed. If you are a low-number jumper you might find it difficult and find that there isn't "plenty" of altitude.
If exit altitude is around 1500m or even 2000m we may talk about "plenty" of altitude ;)

If it is a fly-in, no problem - familiar landing area and/or familiar outs near the DZ. But if the balloon takes off at the DZ you will jump out at a location you are at least not familiar with. Might "only" be an area with meadows and some fields, "small change" from a perspective of 1500m AGL... but probably ditches, power or telephone lines etc pp. Requires some experience, to deal with, huh? Thus, you ought to have 300 jumps in Germany in this case (clicky)
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

If it is a fly-in, no problem - familiar landing area and/or familiar outs near the DZ.

So how does that work? Powered balloon? The only balloons I have jumped were powered by the wind... Great ride and jump, but required picking a LZ from an area which I had no knowledge whatsoever of other than what I could see from 4000'. I didn't have enough skill and expertise at 55 jumps to manage that safely.

If the balloon is powered or otherwise controlled so that the exit will be most likely be over a DZ you are familiar with then I don't see it as too much overload for a heads-up jumper with 55 jumps.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -- Albert Einstein

It works like this: If the wind is from the north then take off north of the DZ and let the wind carry you over the DZ. If the wind is from the South take off from the south. etc. etc. Just requires a bit of planning and options on take off points.

I have only done one balloon jump and there were two separate exits of two people. Both descending from 5k. All four of us landed on the DZ.

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people