aatif96

Sizing canopy for a Wings

Im getting a new wings container and had a ? about canopy sizing. Its been the general consensus at my DZ that if you get a container sized for a canopy you generally can go up and down one size. im getting it sized for a 210 so i can start with a 230 and eventually get down to a 190. Is there something about a wings container that prevents you from doing that? i was told from the manufacturer that i wouldnt be able to fit a 230 if i got it sized for a 210. Thoughts?

I'd go with the advice from the manufacturer's recommendations however not all canopies of similar sq.ft are the same pack volume so if you could give sunrise a bit more info then they'll let you know what you can use.

I've got a Wings (I love it!) and I've found them really helpful in the past.

Ad.

i was told from the manufacturer that i wouldnt be able to fit a 230 if i got it sized for a 210. Thoughts?

The manufacturer just might know what will fit in the container that they make. It's quite possible that they've packed a 230 in a Wings built for a 210 and that's why they don't think you'll be able to get one in there.

Of course, you may be an amazing packer and have no problem with it. Most people I know prefer not to work that hard to get the damn thing in the bag and then closed.

There are other good reasons not to overstuff a container besides the fun of packing it. Doing so puts stress on the fabric around the grommets and on the stiffeners in the main flaps and it makes the resulting pack job as hard as a brick and looking like shit.

My thoughts. YMMV.

so wouldnt that put uneccessary stretch on the main area as well? lets say someone ends up NOT downsizing, and keeps a 230 for 50+ jumps, wouldnt that be detrimental to a brand new container???? or would 50 packjobs overstuffing the main tray not make a difference?

and yes wings are sick............
but im gettin me a voodoo curve after the holidays because RI makes the SEXIEST rigs
=)
gravity brings me down.........

Get a Pulse...problem pretty much solved.

I put a 170 in my Talon FX sized for a 150 no problem (RI sized it for me). Put a 190-210 in a Wings, Jav O and G4. Well, the packers put the 210 in and it was snug but the rest fit with room to spare (170 main tray).

Granted very humid here at the moment and YMMV of course...but definitely easier than full ZP

i was told from the manufacturer that i wouldnt be able to fit a 230 if i got it sized for a 210.

My trusty old Wings has been a good rig to me over the last decade. The manufacture has always had prompt and good customer service, to the point that I've finally realized that they know what they're talking when discussing their containers. If they said it won't fit, then it probably won't fit, they're not out to get you, even if you don't want to believe them.

My main tray was sized for a 170. It fit a 170 very tightly and I've been able to make a few downsizes with it, but it will not and will never fit a 190 with out causing serious damage. Actually, I don't think I could make it fit at all and I've packed a parachute or two over the years.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Thanks guys, i got 8 weeks before it comes in so i guess i can rent a 230 and get used to it and be ready to downsize when it arrives. I went with wings cause i had a 50% off coupon which prevented me from having to turn tricks in back alleys :$ but from what ive been reading they are great rigs, cant wait till it comes in. And i got hooked up with free cut in laterals for a promo they were doing this month.

I got my new Wings with a 50% off coupon 2 years ago... Great rig!! Best deal in town.

At the time, I was recommended to order it to fit a 150 for my135. This (well informed) individual said they tend to be tight. I'm not planning on ever downsizing, in fact, my next canopy is going to be bigger. So it was good advice for me.

Wings are great! You'll love it.
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

i was told from the manufacturer that i wouldnt be able to fit a 230 if i got it sized for a 210. Thoughts?

If the manufacture said it wouldn’t fit, why would you go on line and shop a different answer?

Just my thoughts.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

i was told from the manufacturer that i wouldnt be able to fit a 230 if i got it sized for a 210.

My trusty old Wings has been a good rig to me over the last decade. The manufacture has always had prompt and good customer service, to the point that I've finally realized that they know what they're talking when discussing their containers. If they said it won't fit, then it probably won't fit, they're not out to get you, even if you don't want to believe them.

My main tray was sized for a 170. It fit a 170 very tightly and I've been able to make a few downsizes with it, but it will not and will never fit a 190 with out causing serious damage. Actually, I don't think I could make it fit at all and I've packed a parachute or two over the years.

Mine is the same way. I emailed Sunrise and they said that my W14 was built for a 190. My Spectre 190 fit very tight, the SP-170 was snug, and the Sabre2 150 in it now is comfortable. It's an awesome container and I'll end up keeping it as a backup when I decided to get a new one.