SansSuit

Drop Zone Web Pages

Hey web site people!

PLEASE put your physical address on your web sites! Directions such as, "Follow the dropzone signs through town" or "turn right at the yellow church" are quite problematic to program into a GPS unit.

And while we are moving into this century, how about ditching the 555-JUMP type of phone contact. 93.2 % of phone keypads do NOT have the little letters on them.

Thanks!
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

Hey web site people!

PLEASE put your physical address on your web sites! Directions such as, "Follow the dropzone signs through town" or "turn right at the yellow church" are quite problematic to program into a GPS unit.

Sometimes the mapping software will throw errors. It just took several of us a few days to get Skydive the Farm's location on google maps fixed.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Many DZ's are on private roads or airport roads that are not recognized by GPS. We have students every weekend who get lost trying to use GPS or Internet maps when we specifically tell them "Using GPS or internet maps WILL get you lost. Please use the directions on our website. Our DZ is on a private road that is not mapped for GPS or Internet maps." It is not about making it convenient for your GPS, but rather getting the customers to the DZ on time. If the GPS will get them lost, perhaps "Turn at the yellow church" is better. Also, since DZ's are often outside of town, road signs are often stolen or used for target practice, so permanent/semi-permanent dz signage is often better.

Also, the 555-JUMP number is about marketing and being able to remember without writing it down. Maybe your phone doesn't have the letters, but (everyone of) my Android phone(s) and my wife's Iphone both have the letters, as well as every landline phone. I believe your 93.2% number is simply a wild ass guess, and I believe it to be wildly inaccurate. (Check your phone, does it really not have the letters, or do you just not see them?)

There is a reason most large business' use some sort of letters/mnemonic for phone numbers. I doubt they would continue to pay for this service if it wasn't effective.

Just because it is newer doesn't make it more effective.

Besides, if you can use the Internet to look up their web page, I would imagine you are competent enough with your Google-fu to find the actual address, or be qualified to dial 10 digits and ask. It would add 30 seconds on to your total planning time. Since you don't have to pack jumpsuits, it wouldn't even phase you.

How hard is it to go to WALMART & get a fucking Atlas?

For GOD SAKE .... LEARN!!!!!!! >:(

An atlas doesn't do much good if you don't have the address..... *boggle* :S
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Many DZ's are on private roads or airport roads that are not recognized by GPS. We have students every weekend who get lost trying to use GPS or Internet maps when we specifically tell them "Using GPS or internet maps WILL get you lost.

For those DZs, it would be nice if they would provide an address that gets them pretty close (where the dirt road starts/whatever), clearly labeled as the address to use for your navi unit.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

In this day and age, I think an address and GPS co-ordinates are an important combination, what also helps is having the co-ordinates in decimal form and in dms (degrees minutes and seconds). I've found that many people get confused between the two, with decimal format being standard for online maps and dms being more common for gps units and other devices. With that said it's pretty easy to convert.

But lats and longs are vital, I use them very often. Especially when location areas that tend to be away from main roads. It's extremely useful, which is why we encourage all the dropzone owners to include their gps co-ordinates in the listings on the site.

I have an older, cheap TomTom, and if you put in a location by coordinates(saved location) not on a road, it will tell you that there is "no route available" if you try to use it as a destination.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am