5.samadhi

single harness/single parachute legality (international)?

I wonder why this is even a question? What are you planning to do?!? ;)

In all seriousness, I can't imagine any country that has flying regulations which include skydiving would allow this. I mean, maybe Somalia which is a country without a government and probably doesn't have any skydiving at all would allow it, but I can't think of a single sane country that would.

quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Hi Paul,

Think of a country that has no official parachute req'ments. Canada quickly comes to mind.

Now CSPA might really, really frown on it, but if you owned your own airplane I don't see where it would be illegal.

Also, all TSO standards require live jumps, usually two. The TSO standards say that the test harness 'may' be altered to accomodate another parachute. It does not require that the harness be altered; ergo, you can legally jump with a single harness/single parachute if it is part of the testing for certification.

I strongly recommend not doing so.

JerryBaumchen

I wonder why this is even a question? What are you planning to do?!? ;)

In all seriousness, I can't imagine any country that has flying regulations which include skydiving would allow this. I mean, maybe Somalia which is a country without a government and probably doesn't have any skydiving at all would allow it, but I can't think of a single sane country that would.

Our country allows it, if the plane is on fire or missing a wing or something.:P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

A little bird told me that Switzerland does not have a requirement for a reserve. Haven't looked into it but my gut tells me that this isn't likely. It came up in a wouldn't it be cool to have a proximity flying DZ conversation. Sure would be nice. Flying a skyrig next to a mountain - no thank you. But yeah regulation is great.

Canada quickly comes to mind.
Now CSPA might really, really frown on it,

Correct! If you aren't doing a CSPA-related jump, and are not doing a demo jump (which have specific federal rules), you are free to jump what you want from an airplane, including a BASE rig.

(E.g., On one of the big sponsored expeditions to Baffin island for BASE jumps, maybe 5+ years back, some of the crew jumped into their camp area from the aircraft transporting their equipment. I don't think they brought separate skydiving rigs along just for that...)

Whether a DZO would want to rent out a plane for non-CSPA (or non-USPA) jumps, even away from the DZ, is another matter.

technically illegal in switzerland, but you may find a place or two where they would care about it too much. but if shit goes wrong, shit does go wrong; for all involved! ;)

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

technically illegal in switzerland, but you may find a place or two where they would care about it too much. but if shit goes wrong, shit does go wrong; for all involved! ;)

not exactly
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Flying a skyrig next to a mountain - no thank you.

Can you explain why?

Sparky

perhaps the complications added for an environment where they could be utilized pose problems in an environment where they could not be utilized (low deployments).

I was thinking more along the lines of jumping into a campsite (ie Baffin). Its great you could do that in Canada (that was one of the main countries I was interested in!)

Thanks for the info so far.

A little bird told me that Switzerland does not have a requirement for a reserve. Haven't looked into it but my gut tells me that this isn't likely. It came up in a wouldn't it be cool to have a proximity flying DZ conversation. Sure would be nice. Flying a skyrig next to a mountain - no thank you. But yeah regulation is great.

Could you explain why?

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

the rules are a bit vague in canada. The pilot could still get in trouble if MOT found out what was going on. Would depend a bit on circumstances.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

the rules are a bit vague in canada. The pilot could still get in trouble if MOT found out what was going on. Would depend a bit on circumstances.

Transport Canada fobs off most of the responsibility for regulating skydiving on CSPA. As long as CSP keeps the fataltity rate low, TC stays out of the business of directly regulating skydiving in Canada. Most years, TC is satisfied with reviewing the books of Canadian DZs.

Canadian Air Regulations require that all skydives - in Canada - be done in accordance with guidelines written by CSPA, CAPS or a similar organization.
CSPA's Basic Safety Recommendations are almost a photo-copy of USPA BSR's, including requiring freshly-inspected reserves, etc..
CAPS BSRs are almost photo-copies of CSPA and USPA BSRs.
Many Canadian DZs are also affiliated with USPA.

Many Canadian DZOs enforce higher safety standards than CSPA, USPA, etc. For example, Pitt Meadows banned round reserves a decade ago, because thier airport is bordered by the Frazer River. No skydiver has ever landed in the Frazer River and they intend to maintain that record.

I cannot imagine a Canadian DZO allowing anyone to jump without a (certified, recently repacked, etc.) reserve).

Transport Canada fobs off most of the responsibility for regulating skydiving on CSPA. As long as CSP keeps the fataltity rate low, TC stays out of the business of directly regulating skydiving in Canada. Most years, TC is satisfied with reviewing the books of Canadian DZs.

Canadian Air Regulations require that all skydives - in Canada - be done in accordance with guidelines written by CSPA, CAPS or a similar organization.
CSPA's Basic Safety Recommendations are almost a photo-copy of USPA BSR's, including requiring freshly-inspected reserves, etc..
CAPS BSRs are almost photo-copies of CSPA and USPA BSRs.
Many Canadian DZs are also affiliated with USPA.

Many Canadian DZOs enforce higher safety standards than CSPA, USPA, etc. For example, Pitt Meadows banned round reserves a decade ago, because thier airport is bordered by the Frazer River. No skydiver has ever landed in the Frazer River and they intend to maintain that record.

I cannot imagine a Canadian DZO allowing anyone to jump without a (certified, recently repacked, etc.) reserve).

what about jumping out of a private plane with a base rig on after a food/fuel drop out in the middle of nowhere (ie above the arctic circle)? Would that violate any regulations???

... what about jumping out of a private plane with a base rig on after a food/fuel drop out in the middle of nowhere (ie above the arctic circle)? Would that violate any regulations???

You would be hard-pressed to find a privately-registered airplane flying above the Arctic Circle. Transport Canada keeps a close eye on all aircraft operating in the arctic , primarily because of the ridiculously high cost of search and rescue.
Just because yoru plan will be many miles from regualtors ... reduces your chances of getting arrested ... but does not make it any more legal.

Kind of like - if you engage in certain silly sexual practices - outside of Afghanistan - the Taliban will still call you a "sister-f&&&&r."
Hah!
Hah!

Di you recall where that is? I don't recall seeing that. Or is it in one of those vaguer statements (eg, staff instructions) that aren't actually in the Canadian Air Regs?

That NPA 99-148 legislation never did pass, and that required student jumps to follow the plan of some approved organization I seem to recall. But again, that never became law.

As for the Frazer river, I don't know when Pitt Meadows opened, but it sounds like they did just fine through the whole round main and/or round reserve era -- and then banned round reserves once it didn't matter as much.

Could you explain why?

Skydiving systems are much more complex than BASE systems. This complexity introduces additional chances for delays in the opening sequence (or malfunctions). It is for this reason that skydiving rigs are intended to be deployed at much higher altitudes than BASE rigs.

It's really a question of using a tool designed for the job. If you are intending to deploy your canopy with a few hundred feet of a solid object, there are probably better choices than a skydiving rig designed to be opened with thousands of feet of clear air in every direction.

If I were ever in a situation where I had to deploy a skydiving rig in a proximity flight situation, I'd go straight to the reserve, which would still be more complex than a BASE rig.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

out of simple curiosity what countries legally allow single parachute systems to be jumped from airplanes.

The UK, apparently.

Anyone else notice the mesh sliders, non-collapsible 42" PC's and bottom skin inlets? The queen also appears to have forgotten to bring along a reserve parachute.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Could you explain why?

Skydiving systems are much more complex than BASE systems. This complexity introduces additional chances for delays in the opening sequence (or malfunctions). It is for this reason that skydiving rigs are intended to be deployed at much higher altitudes than BASE rigs.

It's really a question of using a tool designed for the job. If you are intending to deploy your canopy with a few hundred feet of a solid object, there are probably better choices than a skydiving rig designed to be opened with thousands of feet of clear air in every direction.

If I were ever in a situation where I had to deploy a skydiving rig in a proximity flight situation, I'd go straight to the reserve, which would still be more complex than a BASE rig.

Thanks for taking the time to educate an old man.

The canopies they used appear to Eiff Classic’s. The original Strato Cloud, my first ram air also had the bottom skin vents.

Sparky

http://eiff.com/manuals/manuals_index.htm
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals