mahonie10

travel

I know this has probaly been discussed before, but.......I'm venturing down to Florida in December to do some jumping at Deland and Sebastian. The one question I got is what is the best way to travel with a rig and gear? carry on? check it? I guess I would feel more comfortable keeping it close, but unknowing TSA agent might hassle me about it. But on the other hand the baggage handlers are so gentle with things. Anyone have suggestions or past experience that could help me out?
Thanks

I took a couple of extra pullup cords in case I was forced to open it. I also had copies of my AAD x ray card and TSA letter. My rig fit in a standard travel bag that is just inside the limits for international carryon. Make sure there is no hook knife and that if you turn the AAD on, you also turn it off before flight.

I had trouble in Singapore on the way through, but only in terms of confusion and not knowing what to do. The screeners were polite and friendly, it just took a long time. So I would suggest leaving more time than normal.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I would take it with me carryon that way if there is an emergency you can pull the exit and hope for the best

I have already discussed doing a Mr. Bill with my girlfriend if she is with me.

Disregard this reply completely.:S It's not BF and if you're serious, you might want to educate yourself.

To the OP. at 32 jumps your rig is probably going to be to big or heavy to take as carry on.
I have traveled all over the world quite a few time and around the States about 5 times and I have never had issues with TSA folks.or had issues when put through as luggage.

You can try and carry it on but you are better served putting it in a suitable case and just check it.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I would take it with me carryon that way if there is an emergency you can pull the exit and hope for the best

Disregard this reply completely.:S It's not BF and if you're serious, you might want to educate yourself.

To the OP. at 32 jumps your rig is probably going to be to big or heavy to take as carry on.
I have traveled all over the world quite a few time and around the States about 5 times and I have never had issues with TSA folks.or had issues when put through as luggage.

You can try and carry it on but you are better served putting it in a suitable case and just check it.

If his profile is accurate, his rig is a heck of a lot smaller than mine and I've never checked mine. That's traveling with it probably upwards of 50 times. Personal preference whether to check or not, of course, but since my rig is always the most expensive and important thing I'm traveling with, I'd rather have it with me at all times, regardless of the hassle factor.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

My 170 just fits into standard carry on, but it does exceed the Qantas weight limit (although they didn't give me any problems). I saw a guy in the US travelling with his Javelin and no gear bag - I wouldn't recommend that.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I prefer carry on inside of a bag. Have the TSA letter and your AAD manufacturer's card with you for their reference. I've never had any major problems. Often they ask to take it out of the bag and run it again or to swab it. Not a big deal. Just be nice about it and you'll be fine. Be a dick or a know-it-all and you'll most likely have problems.

Oh and I recommend inside of a bag b/c most likely you'll have to put it in the over head. I don't like the thought of someone trying to move my rig and going for the "convenient" handles :S So I like to have a bag around it to prevent that even if its just like a trash bag just for the flight.

Oh and I recommend inside of a bag b/c most likely you'll have to put it in the over head. I don't like the thought of someone trying to move my rig and going for the "convenient" handles :S So I like to have a bag around it to prevent that even if its just like a trash bag just for the flight.

I don't get the folks that can spend upwards of $5K for a bag and can't spring for the extra $50 (or less) for a cheap backpack or roller case for their rig. (Though your solution is better than nothing ... I don't want to risk the scenario you described, or putting it under my seat and having someone spill their soda on it, or there being gum on the floor, or any number of other things I don't want on my rig. Plus, I have absolutely zero interest in the "look at me, I'm a skydiver" thing that comes along with carrying my rig unprotected. I'm extremely happy to be in stealth mode. :D)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I don't get the folks that can spend upwards of $5K for a bag and can't spring for the extra $50 (or less) for a cheap backpack or roller case for their rig. (Though your solution is better than nothing ... I don't want to risk the scenario you described, or putting it under my seat and having someone spill their soda on it, or there being gum on the floor, or any number of other things I don't want on my rig. Plus, I have absolutely zero interest in the "look at me, I'm a skydiver" thing that comes along with carrying my rig unprotected. I'm extremely happy to be in stealth mode. :D)

Oh I agree. I usually put mine in a nice rolling carry on. But like you said not everybody wants to do that.

I carried on once without a bag and it freaked me out too much. I was WAY too paranoid somebody would touch it. Now it always goes in my pretty suitcase B|

Follow the advice of taking the rig as a carry on. First off, if you're travelling for the purpose of jumping, and you lose your rig, what do you do now?

Beyond that, think about what it would take to replace your rig if it was lost. Even if you could insure if for full value, you're still looking at several months to wait for a new rig.

When I travel to jump, I keep the 'essentails' with me at all times. My rig, jumpsuits(s) and helmet/alti go in my carry-on, and everything else gets checked. Clothes/shoes/toiletries can all be replaced in an hour, so that all get's checked.

Note- if you jump a full face, good luck getting in a carry-on with a rig. I jump an open-face, and have found that you can 'fit' it over the top corner of the rig and get it all to fit in a bag. A full face helmet might have to go in a checked bag, but a hemlet is actaully fairly easy to replace. Most 'destination' DZs will have a gear store where you can buy one, or you can always just go Protec from Walmart for $30 if need be.