rss_v

Seeing people fall past you

This was a very strange experience for me today - whether due to my increasing situational awareness or a quirk of the exit order, for the first time today I saw other people falling past me. I was under canopy around 4500ft and watching an early-level AFF trio break apart as the student pulled (presumably around 5.5-6k), then the instructors burnt down past me - seemingly quite close but a safe separation really. They pulled a way below me. That was amazing to watch, a completely new thing to see.

On my next jump I was able to watch tandems deploy as well, higher than where I was at the time.

Really nice to watch, I liked it a lot.

Just felt like mentioning it...

Unbelievable how crazy fast they pass by :o
And how incredibly low they seem to deploy :o

If I'm with a tandem passenger after opening and point out a subsequent tandem deploying, I do have to explain to the student about the camera flyer -- who falls away and appears to be plummeting to his death in the fields below. 'Relax, they're still thousands of feet in the air...'

my increasing situational awareness

Want another fun one? See if you can count how long it takes the group exiting after you to exit as you're coming down the hill. Try to identify what type of exit they attempted and did it succeed.

Another fun one: look at the winds aloft and determine where you think your opening would be based off of where you plan to exit. when you land ask yourself did you open where you thought you were going to. even remembering to look down after you open and take note of your position is an awareness thing a lot of new jumpers don't do.

put it all together and you should be able to say how long the stick behind you took, how their exit was, and exactly where you opened. bonus if you can guess what the deployment altitude of the other jumpers was (even though technically you should know before you leave the plane, of course)

Unbelievable how crazy fast they pass by :o
And how incredibly low they seem to deploy :o
:)

I've been noticing this recently (noob that I am) too. It really does look like they're hurtling to their doom, only to save themselves at the last minute. I know it's an illusion, but I still catch myself thinking "Holy $#!*" each time I see it!
My blog with the skydiving duck cartoons.

I've been noticing this recently (noob that I am) too. It really does look like they're hurtling to their doom, only to save themselves at the last minute. I know it's an illusion, but I still catch myself thinking "Holy $#!*" each time I see it!

Ahh! Perspective..... Ain't it great! :ph34r: It's almost as cool as watching some "go back up" when they pull.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

for the first time today I saw other people falling past me...

Cool stuff. Now get about three experienced jumpers together and tell them you want to do a "pull out".

What is a pull out?

When flying with a group, one person deploys while right next to the others - getting pulled out of the formation.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Does anyone know of any videos online that include footage of this sort of thing? There are quite a few with the camera man falling away from someone who just pulled, but how about a camera man under canopy filming others in the air coming down past him?

Cool stuff. Now get about three experienced jumpers together and tell them you want to do a "pull out".

What is a pull out?

what your dad didn't do.

B|B|B|B|B|B|
I am bad at this sport because I play by the rules.

It's almost as cool as watching some "go back up" when they pull.

Had someone pull a thousand feet higher than they said they would. She also tracked up the jump line before pulling. That wasn't so much fun... A near-miss at about fifty feet >:(.

What is a pull out?

what your dad didn't do.

I he had only known, I'm sure he would have.

I was doing video for some RW jumps, pulling in place above breakoff. One time I dumped but continued watching them fall, hell of shot! B|

http://robert.branzone.com/pics/Cool.jpg
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Does anyone know of any videos online that include footage of this sort of thing? There are quite a few with the camera man falling away from someone who just pulled, but how about a camera man under canopy filming others in the air coming down past him?

Joe Jenning's Good Stuff video has some of that. I don't know about youtube, but probably it is there to be found.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I was doing video for some RW jumps, pulling in place above breakoff. One time I dumped but continued watching them fall, hell of shot! B|

http://robert.branzone.com/pics/Cool.jpg

Very nice indeed.