DcloudZ

Number of jumps required to jump without a jumpsuit?

Jumping without a jumpsuit isn't about qualifications or jump numbers, it's about whether or not a jumpsuit is necessary for the type of jump you're doing and who you're doing it with.

What is it that you want to do?
Owned by Remi #?

I'd just like to jump in regular clothes on belly-down solo dives for freedom's sake, and of course a naked jump for my first milestone hehe ;)

"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way." -Alan Watts

Just be careful with your shirt. If it comes un-tucked from your pants and blows up over your handles you may have more difficulty during a malfunctions.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

That sounds like fun! I'm familiar with USPA rules, not CSPA, so please get advice from someone who has a clue. Also take the comment about loose clothing that can cover your handles to heart. Get a gear check before you jump. Get it from someone who's been instructing or coaching you until now.
Owned by Remi #?

Alright, thanks a lot everyone! I'll be sure to speak to my instructors about it as I do with everything new that I want to try :)

"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way." -Alan Watts

How many jumps/what qualifications do you need (or is recommended) to jump without a jumpsuit?

No jump requirement, nor qualifications. Just wait until you're off student status and go for it. Take the warning about a shirt blowing up over your handles. Be aware that you'll feel less maneuverable in freefall because of reduced drag.

Some relevant thoughts - as mentioned, your shirt can blow up and cover your handles. Long shirt tails can also wrap around a hackey. Shorts/pants pockets have turned themselves inside out and interfered with hackeys in the past. These are serious safety concerns.

Another thought- a jumpsuit will provide some protection in the event of a rough landing. A single head-to-toe suit cannot ride up or slip down and expose skin to whatever it is your landing in/on.

Another thought - at your early stage of learning to fly your body, jumping a suit that you will be using for when jumping with others will let you get more out of each jump. The type of suit you wear will impact the drag on each part of your body, and in turn what it takes to hold that body part in place (or move) as needed. The more jumps you put on a suit, the more you will become familair with how to fly that suit, and the better you will do with others.

Jumpsuits serve several purposes, and unless you have a good reason, you're better off in one than out.

Street clothes kill. Naked just gives you road rash.

Naked jumping is also safer. Nobody has ever died jumping naked.
If it has never happened, it can't happen. That's science! ;)
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

Dave, would you agree that comfort on a solo would be a good reason for not wearing a jumpsuit? Here in the South it get upwards of 100 degrees easy this time of year - I almost always wear a jumpsuit for the drag when jumping RW but doing a solo this time of year I will often wear just shorts and a teeshirt to enjoy the reduced temps at altitude.
Your shirt coming untucked and covering your handles is the biggest concern I can think of (less likely on a belly jump than freefly BTW but still can happen on belly). Other than that maybe some roadrash if you are not proficient at landing...

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

Dave, would you agree that comfort on a solo would be a good reason for not wearing a jumpsuit?

I would suggest that safety trumps comfort. I'm not saying that street clothes cannot be jumped safely, I'm just putting the idea out there that street clothes are not made for jumping, and there are some special considerations when it comes to taking clothes not made for freefall into the freefall environment.

READ THIS, EVERYONE.

I got one last dock on a fun jump when I was a noob. The guy was wearing a long sleeve t-shirt. Docking hard, I pulled his shirt over his right arm. He was flapping around like crazy trying to get free because it was time to pull. At the time, I didn't know what he was doing. He got free and pulled on time.

I've also seen a fellow jumper's suit explode after a horny gorilla separation.:o:D

READ THIS, EVERYONE.

I got one last dock on a fun jump when I was a noob. The guy was wearing a long sleeve t-shirt. Docking hard, I pulled his shirt over his right arm. He was flapping around like crazy trying to get free because it was time to pull. At the time, I didn't know what he was doing. He got free and pulled on time.

I've also seen a fellow jumper's suit explode after a horny gorilla separation.:o:D

OKAY, I READ IT.

Now, why was that so important to emphasize in capital letters?

I only had about 30 jumps when I did a jump at Skydive Atlanta. It was really hot but I wore a full jump suit, gloves, and a full face helmet. I felt a little silly until I missed judged my landing and ended up on the runway and slid about 30 feet! My jumpsuit had holes all in it but not a scratch on me. I always dress for success on every jump!