stratostar

Lovely news story on the sport

OMG...

According to the FAA, since 2000, 77 drop zones were cited for safety violations and at least 247 people have died during skydiving operations. FAA records also show that six people have died at the Lodi Parachute Center. Two were ruled suicides.

The Lodi Parachute Center is the same drop zone where Laverne Everett jumped when she almost fell out of her harness.

We were surprised when owner Bill Dause told us he doesn’t keep track of the number of people who have died at his facility. According to reports since the early 1980s, there were at least twelve deaths at the drop zone in Lodi.

77 safety violations in 12 years. 12 deaths in 32 years.

whatever will we do...

perhaps she should look into the number of violations of stop signs and stop lights and the number of fatalities caused thereby? Oh wait... that isnt anywere as news (aka attention-seeking-media-whore) worthy.

This story comment on Mrs. Fall out of the Harness is mind boggling:

Tom Christianson
Best Drop Zone. Great Instructors, sorry she had a bad experience. Looks like she didn't follow instructions.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I like the slogan above the headline: "holding the powerful accountable"

Now that crime and deficit problems in California have been solved, those powerful skydivers will have to answer to the hard-hitting investigative reporters who look out for the welfare of those threatened by skydiving.
( well, really, Lindsey Lohan wasn't in court this week, and nobody got bitten by a shark, so what are they going to do a story about?}
You don't have to outrun the bear.

“I do expect a level of safety, I make sure their parachutes are correct, their parachutes are up to date, they are wearing the right equipment, and that is all you can do,” said Dause

Quite an interesting attitude.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.