XMarked

Re-Currency Requirements

I have been out of the sport for about 9 years. I am going to start jumping again. I have around 2,300 jumps, only have an A license and am in a different state where I know very few jumpers.

I am curious what will be required to get back in the air.

Thanks in advance.

Find a drop zone, give them a call and tell them what's up, they'll tell you that you'll have to do a little refresher jump with an instructor and from there it's like riding a bike!

Blue skies mate
"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way." -Alan Watts

... how could you ever forget how to freefall with stability after 2300 jumps?

There is a LOT more to think about than just "freefall with stability". 9 years is a pretty big break for anyone, even with 2300 jumps. If someone came to me saying that they had 2300 jumps, an A license, and they haven't jumped in 9 years, re-training would go as fast/slow as it takes for them to show me (themselves) what they remember and the jump(s) to prove it.

Xmarked, welcome back!
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

Expect to spend a couple of hours going over emergency procedures, area familiarization, standard procedures, etc. Expect to pay for rental gear unless you bring something appropriate. Expect to make one or more AFF type jumps.

Fill in your profile so we can tell you how friendly the local dropzone is.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

I am not worried about being able to remain stable. Just wondering how times have changed more than anything. USPA seems to have some new ratings and rules they didnt have before.

There is a 60 day currency requirement for an A license,after which you need a recurrency jumpunder the supervision of an instructor. The specific requirements for recurrence are at the discretion of the dz.

You probably already know it, but to get a B license now, you need to do a canopy course. With your number of jumps, I'd suggest making a plan to combine getting recurrent with getting your C or D license.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I was in your shoes earlier this year. I started jumping in 1995 and left in Sept 1999. This past April I did my re-currency jump at Skydive Perris. Had to spend some time in ground school and then did 1 jump with an instructor. And yes it's like riding a bike. I have way less jumps than you do with an A-License and I had no problems. Before I went out for my re-currency jump I made sure my USPA membership was up to date and I sent my rig in to be inspected and reserve repacked. I did have to rent a rig for my jump due to not having a AAD.

here's my re-currency jump

https://vimeo.com/40624539

It feels good being back in the sport and welcome back