shah269

Guys Gals! You can fix this right?

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/08/diy-capsule-launch-escape-system-post-flight-evaluation/

Right after the drogue was released, the capsule top-part descended slowly toward the ocean using a tiny parachute. Since there was no time to get Betty stabilized using the drogue, I had to release the main parachutes, which worked fine as well. The bags were simultaneously pulled by the drogue but the tumbling of Betty seemed to have some kind of effect on the synchronous deployment of the parachutes. One parachute was almost deployed completely. The rest barely made it outside the bags. Two of the parachutes are still intact but one is slightly torn and melted in some areas. Why? I do not know yet

I'm sure you guys may have a solution.
What do you think?
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

They seem to have had a parachute deployment problem.
Seems like something many people here could have valuable insight with?
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

Did you read the article? They clearly state the problem, which is clear to see in the video, they lacked the altitude to allow for the drouge to stabilize the capsule and then for the mains to deploy.

Maybe of the rocket didn't nose-over after two seconds of flight, or if the skipped the drouge-stabilization and just got the mains out, they would have had more canopy at impact.

If you pull low, you're going to bounce, you can't fix that.

The flames and intense heat of the rocket motors roasted the parachute assembly.... back to the drawing board... I've settled the matter to everyones satisfaction. Please lock the thread now. Thanks :P

The flames and intense heat of the rocket motors roasted the parachute assembly.... back to the drawing board... I've settled the matter to everyones satisfaction. Please lock the thread now. Thanks :P

You know I was thinking about that!
All that rocket blast inches away from all that nylon?
Can't be good!

I'm amazed they didn't utilize the rocket to pull the Dbag out instead of having the rocket kick off first and then having the Dbag deploy second. You know kind of like a skyhook? !

And dumb question. would a solid ring slider have helped open things up faster?

I wonder why they have the rocket blast right on the nose of the cone? :o
makes you wonder what they were thinking!
Can we have maybe 10ft of stand off distance?

I wonder why they have the rocket blast right on the nose of the cone? :o

They didn't, it's very clearly at an angle.

Can we have maybe 10ft of stand off distance?

If you add more distance then you change the moments of inertia of the system and make it more unstable. The added structure also makes the system heavier, which is bad for space.

If you're not going to take this seriously, I'm not going to either.

No check it out the NASA guys had a bit of distance between the rocket motors and the capsule and they used a second motor pull off the tower off!
So i guess they would shut down the primary motors and fire the top motor to "pull" the parachute out if things went south very close to the ground kind of like a rocket assisted skyhook!

Ring sliders were developed long after the Apollo program right? Well wouldn't a ring slider maybe have helped with that snivel they had? But only if it were a solid ring not a mesh ring?

I'm sorry I can't see it. Will check when I go home.

This past summer I was working with a number of kids at a summer enrichment program.
One of their project was to build one of those silly little A motor rockets.
I was amazed at how much of a kick that rocket had when it came to deploying the parachute and if folded correctly how quickly it all worked!

This past summer I was working with a number of kids at a summer enrichment program.
I was amazed at how much of a kick that rocket had when it came to deploying the parachute and if folded correctly how quickly it all worked!

Try this. Jayhawk 2nd flight...ground video.

http://www.rocketryonline.com/rolpresents/index.php?site=gbr&page=movie_theater#Jayhawk 2nd Flight

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I can't view this from work will view when i get home later tonight.
I really hope they figure it out!
I think it would be very cool!

At the risk of continuing the whack-a-mole questioning...

No check it out the NASA guys had a bit of distance between the rocket motors and the capsule and they used a second motor pull off the tower off!

They also had a secondary control surface to keep it stable. The secondary booster adds complexity and weight (and therefore cost). These are considerations that the Apollo program obviously didn't mind, but CS feels that they didn't want to add.

So i guess they would shut down the primary motors and fire the top motor to "pull" the parachute out if things went south very close to the ground kind of like a rocket assisted skyhook!

The whole thing is already a rocket assisted skyhook. The whole purpose of it is to clear the crew capsule from the booster in the event of an emergency. It's designed to take the capsule from 0/0 (zero airspeed, zero altitude) to an altitude and speed high enough for the parachutes to deploy and safely recover the capsule. It's the same basic concept behind jet ejector seats.

In this situation, the parachutes weren't the problem.

http://www.rocketryonline.com/rolpresents/index.php?site=gbr&page=movie_theater#Jayhawk 2nd Flight

Sparky

3 pointer...NUTHIN' But NET! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

And this has to do with skydiving how?

Oh god why do I even bother, lets hear it shah, break it down for us. I can't wait....

Don't give him a hard time. He actually made a post without mentioning someones size or being generally self centered and insulting.

Sparky

3 pointer...NUTHIN' But NET! B|

I do good work........:P The 2 green canopies are R-4 Piglet reserves I made for the set up.

Sparky

My first thought was that the canopies are on different deployment systems?

Your system looks much better and hell, ya stood up the landing!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

In a way they were. The 12’ cross form deployed at apogee…..and the whole rocket rode it down to around 2,000 feet and the 2 R-4’s deployed. I used the cross form just to get it to a lower altitude so the uppers would not blow it out of sight. It topped out at over 30,000 feet.

Sparky