shah269

Visiting a new drop zone, safety?

As a new jumper is there a comprehensive list of safety procedures one should consider when visiting a new drop zone without coming across as an annoyance?

I understand that manifests are busy and people need to make a living and getting in the way of operations is impolite. However as a new jumper what do you suggest one does to ensure that they have a safe experience?

Thank you in advance.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

As a new jumper is there a comprehensive list of safety procedures one should consider when visiting a new drop zone without coming across as an annoyance?

I understand that manifests are busy and people need to make a living and getting in the way of operations is impolite. However as a new jumper what do you suggest one does to ensure that they have a safe experience?

Thank you in advance.

Find an instructor, ask questions, find out the policies and procedures, find out where the outs are or any particular hazards, powerlines, farmer McNasty's, etc around the dropzone.

If you cant find someone willing to answer these basic questions without getting annoyed, find another DZ :)
__

My mighty steed

ALWAYS ask for a dropzone briefing. I ask for one if I havent been there in a few months even. Policies change, landing areas change. Always good to know the current rules to follow. Make sure you're getting it from somebody in the know too. Manifest will know who should be giving them and who shouldn't be.

Just ask when you sign your waiver for a DZ tour/intro from a local jumper/staff member. This will typically include the low points, like where the bathroom as and where you can pack, but it will also include the high points, things like the landing areas, the layout of the LZ, a look at an overhead pic, landing patterns, places you're not supposed to land/walk/fly, manifest procedures, aircraft loading location and procedures, and exit orders/procedures.

I would be weary of any DZ that would not provide the above service to a low time jumper new to the DZ.

So show up early and sit tight untill things get quiet in manifest. Thank you!
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

How is that what you take away from what's been posted?????

Show up, go to manifest with your USPA card/license/repack card etc, and ask to waiver in. When your business with manifest is complete, ask for a DZ briefing if they haven't already called someone over to handle it.

What are you sitting around for? Get in there, get your buisness done, and get to jumping.

I'm with Dave on this. don't just sit there. Manifest usually doesnt do the briefing. They just tell you who to get it from or page somebody for you. It takes all of 2 seconds of their time. If you just sit quietly, you probably wont jump... Especially if you also take that mentality to the jumping itself. Once you get the briefing ask who the organizers are. Or who are jumpers that do your discipline. It's easy just dont be afraid to speak up ;)

When on earth does it get quiet at manifest???? lol what a concept.

Honestly, point your ass towards manifest / office / etc and get your jump on.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Show up, go to manifest with your USPA card/license/repack card etc, and ask to waiver in. When your business with manifest is complete, ask for a DZ briefing if they haven't already called someone over to handle it.

Hey Shah, what Dave said. :)
After the briefing take a walk out the landing area and look it over.:)

I'm with Dave on this. don't just sit there. Manifest usually doesnt do the briefing. They just tell you who to get it from or page somebody for you. It takes all of 2 seconds of their time. If you just sit quietly, you probably wont jump... Especially if you also take that mentality to the jumping itself. Once you get the briefing ask who the organizers are. Or who are jumpers that do your discipline. It's easy just dont be afraid to speak up ;)

Thank you thank you! :)

How is that what you take away from what's been posted?????

What are you sitting around for? Get in there, get your buisness done, and get to jumping.

I would answer this question for you but I'm not up for a banning.

Walk as in get a visual of the potential hazards?
Is there something in particular one should be looking for? Other than the obvious rocks and holes?

Again thank you

yes those but also how people set up their patterns. If you like avoiding a lot of traffic, check where the traffic is and see if there is a safe (and make sure it is acceptable) alternative. Often I'll choose a slightly longer walk over being near the bulk of the traffic.

yes those but also how people set up their patterns. If you like avoiding a lot of traffic, check where the traffic is and see if there is a safe (and make sure it is acceptable) alternative. Often I'll choose a slightly longer walk over being near the bulk of the traffic.

It's a shorter walk from the parking lot than from our landing area.

So maybe not THAT often. :P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Walk as in get a visual of the potential hazards?
Is there something in particular one should be looking for? Other than the obvious rocks and holes?

-Other jumper's patterns.
-Powerlines & other obstacles
-Potential areas of turbulence
-Wind indicators and direction
-Areas of canopy congestion & areas where you could land away from others

There are more but you get the idea....
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

While walking the LZ you should be looking for:

~ Surface problems (holes, rocks, sprinkler heads, etc).

~ Nearby obstacles (fences, trees, ditches, etc).

~ Turbulence generators.

~ LZ size.

~ Wind indicators (wind socks, flags, wind blades).
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

http://www.dropzone.com/safety/Boogie_Safety/index.shtml

Most of the tips in these articles will also apply to going to a new DZ generally, especially if you're going from a single-Cessna DZ to one that turns multiple turbines.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

If I may chime in with a question, what is considered a turbulence generator? How can one be spotted?

Anything that sticks up into the wind will generate turbulence. Trees, buildings, hills, ect.

A lot of DZs have a "bad" wind direction, where there are a lot of things in one direction that will generate turbulence if the wind is blowing from there.

USPA SIM 4 C. Scroll down a bit to where they talk about turbulence.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

If I may chime in with a question, what is considered a turbulence generator? How can one be spotted?

Anything that disrupts the flow of the wind, in the same way as a stone in a river disrupts the flow of the water.

Common examples include rows of trees and buildings.

Turbulence can extend vertically up to twice the height of the obstacle and downwind in excess of 10 times the height of the obstacle, depending on the strength of the wind.

For example a hangar 30 feet high could create a zone of turbulence 300 feet downwind of it.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

Visit their web site and see what information is available there. When was about to visit Z-hills, I was able to download their waiver form and fill it out in advance.

Also, they used to have a really good DZ Overview for licensed skydivers that gave a lot of good general information (jump run directions, landing areas, policies, etc). It was about a 5 page PDF (in color, with photos, etc). But I just went to their website and I can't find it there anymore. I thought it was an excellent starting point, which complimented the orientation I got when I arrived. (It struck me as a good model for other DZ's to copy).

what i've learned in no particular order:

Eloy
who sets the pattern:
- first down (yep - any sign yet?)
- windsock / do what you feel like

Mile Hi
fences/powerlines/holes in the ground

Deland
anyone could jump here without any briefing just watch the runways

Z-Hills
lots of people landing at same time

Raeford
watch the spot, winds are a bit shifty/come n go nature

Connecticut Parachutists
When there's snow everywhere you might not find the LZ!

Skydive Long Island
Stay away from tandem LZ otherwise anyone could jump without a briefing