AmorDeCosmos

Why do you skydive?

"Point Break" ....no, really ...no, seriously! :D

+1

and "terminal velocity", "dropzone" and "cutaway"..

:D:D:D

and of course all the hookers, the blow, the money and the fame.. :P

Yes, all those flicks portrayed skydiving as the wholesome family-oriented sport that we all know it is. But I already had the monkey on my back by the time those last 3 came out.:)

It's a skydiving thing, you wouldn't understand!

;)

I love the smell of my canopy

jet exhaust reminds me of skydiving

there is a calming effect..I'm very clear mentaly when jumping.

freedom, with total control, I'm in control

going fast

cranking on a toggle / riser

swooping in to a tip-toe landing

the people

DS#727, DB Cooper #41, POPS #11065, SCR #13183, FA #2125, SCS #8306, HALO #309 SRA #5930

"Point Break" ....no, really ...no, seriously! :D

+1

and "terminal velocity", "dropzone" and "cutaway"..

:D:D:D

and of course all the hookers, the blow, the money and the fame.. :P

The opening scenes of both Moonraker and the first Get Smart movie.:D
I believe you have my stapler.

brings me into the moment ... Day to day, I am reminiscing about the past, worrying about the future. But the moment I hear "ready, set, go". I am in drawn into the vertex of that moment in time. And after I am done squealing like a little girl at a Justin Bieber concert from the opening shock, I find the calm of being under canopy to be a very soothing contradicting the surge of adrenalin ...

that and I am still hoping that using the line, "I jump out of planes 2.75 miles up in the sky" will get me laid, rather than having to work at it.

Cheers
- Neil

Never make assumptions! That harmless rectangle could be two triangles having sex ...

Dear OP (and other whuffos),

Skydivers are not "insane," we are simply pilots of unpowered gliders.

It is confusing to me that you feel the need to ask WHY would you want to FLY? Isn't that the dream of every human?

Does a baby bird not continue to fly once it realizes that it can?

Good, because I don't think skydivers are insane. Well, not all of them. some of them surely.
Anyway, I know why I want to skydive (I have once, albeit tandem, and I will again once I'm out of University and have MONEY). My question, though, wasn't why I think skydiving is amazing, it was why others think it's amazing.
Thanks for your input.

Hi,
I'm working on a bit of fiction about skydiving, and I was wondering why exactly some of us choose to skydive? Personally, why do you do it?
It's expensive, dangerous, very difficult to make a living from...so why do it?
All answers will be greatly appreciated. The more in depth you can go, the better.
Thanks!

Mainly because it's expensive, dangerous, very difficult to make a living from...:|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Why did I ?

something different for sure and fun

The fact you can express an opinion and not be rediculed and bullied (hang on that did happen)

The love you get from all your fellow skydivers (well some of them anyway)

The fact that you can research about equipment etc without being labelled a smart arse (Hang on that did not happen)

The fact you can be a bit different but not get bannesd from AFF at a DZ (hang on I did get banned at one)

um cause I like beer and smokes (hang on I detest smoking and grog.. alcohol

futher um I like getting up early (hang on I hate rising early on days off

I could bring my parents to the DZ and show off and they could see what a hero I am !!

all above is an attempt at humor

Why did I jump ??

1. it was fun

2 good people

3. exciting almost spiritual

4 nothing else even comes close that I have done and that includes horizontal folk dancing (sex)

5 plenty to learn ie challenging (not that I achieved much)

6 Sense of achieving something (see above

kinda wish i could still do it. Plenty to love about it

Cheers
I tend to be a bit different. enjoyed my time in the sport or is it an industry these days ??

Its one of the few things in life that really keeps you in the moment. Most of the time we live in the past or future thinking of what we need to do or checking what we have done, planning for tomorrow. When you jump you are living in that very second, thats powerful. Nothing in life gives as much as living in the moment. Its total commitment, a Formula 1 driver is going at a hell of a speed but if theres a problem he can pull over or go into the pits and have it fixed by a team of experts, when you go out of that door thee is no pulling over, you are totally committed and only have yourself to get out of any problem. You become one with your thoughts and bodily actions to the point where you think I want to be over there and your body responds and hey presto there you are, you've flown yourself into a slot and didn't even think about how you did it.
The people are fun and the partying is hard. I've made friends for life through skydiving and its taken me all over the world. But if you really want to know, you'll just have to jump.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I wrote to a Facebook friend that I was REALLY missing jumping. Her reply was: “What is it that you miss? The adrenaline - the sense of freedom?”

Here is what I wrote:

My first answer was going to be "BOTH", but it is much more complicated than that.
I miss the sense of:
-Camaraderie on the airplane;
-Anticipation when the pilot says “two minutes”;
-Focus as the pilot says “door”;
-Energy as the “exit” light turns green;
-Intensity like nothing else as I release the plane and accelerate to terminal speed;
-Connection as we build formations with no words said… watching for a smile and a twinkle in the eye to tell me what is going on in the mind of my clone;
-"Flow" when we get it right and the formations are smoothly forming and transitioning;
-Urgency as we break the formation and track away from each other;
-Curiosity as I deploy my main canopy… “Will it work?”;
-Release as I see a good canopy overhead;
-Peace as I fly my canopy over the terrain;
-Analytic satisfaction as I solve the three dimensional puzzle of approach and landing ;
-Triumph as I land my canopy standing up on the target!
My friend replied: ”Thanks for the insight.“
My wife replied: “You forgot the beer dear!”

Well said :)
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

OK, so I guess I had some of those answers coming. But really, I haven't been able to find any psychology on the subject, and I don't want to come up with something that is just not true. (The bowling line was kinda funny, tho, I'll admit).

You are full of it!!!
I ought to whack you over the head with Brian Germain

So full of it
So full of it
So full of it

Let me Google that for you So full of it
There are no dangerous dives
Only dangerous divers

brings me into the moment ... Day to day, I am reminiscing about the past, worrying about the future. But the moment I hear "ready, set, go". I am in drawn into the vertex of that moment in time. And after I am done squealing like a little girl at a Justin Bieber concert from the opening shock, I find the calm of being under canopy to be a very soothing contradicting the surge of adrenalin ...

that and I am still hoping that using the line, "I jump out of planes 2.75 miles up in the sky" will get me laid, rather than having to work at it.

Cheers

WHAT HE SAID!! apart from the being laid bit ... that has long passed me by
I tend to be a bit different. enjoyed my time in the sport or is it an industry these days ??

Leo Davinci,
I have always longed to Fly.
Cannot afford to be a private pilot,when I can, I will.
Swimming thru the sky,is truly flying. (some call it falling)
The contrast between terminal & Canopy flight.
The Flight it's self, peacefully,quietly floating 1000's of Ft.above the ground.no,machine confining
U within.
My dreams of flight Realized.