AmorDeCosmos

Why do you skydive?

Hi,
I'm working on a bit of fiction about skydiving, and I was wondering why exactly some of us choose to skydive? Personally, why do you do it?
It's expensive, dangerous, very difficult to make a living from...so why do it?
All answers will be greatly appreciated. The more in depth you can go, the better.
Thanks!

Hi,
I'm working on a bit of fiction about skydiving, and I was wondering why exactly some of us choose to skydive? Personally, why do you do it?
It's expensive, dangerous, very difficult to make a living from...so why do it?
All answers will be greatly appreciated. The more in depth you can go, the better.
Thanks!

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=3868927;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;#3868927

Why I jump? I think its the comraderie with diverse group of people. It kinda like what I loved about the military. You put a bunch of different type of people/personalities; doctors, lawyers, hippies, geeks, rich, poor all together and we can function as a team. It just works; even though on this site you get some really narly answers at times I think for the most part everyone genuinely cares that you are successful and wish you the safest and fun endeavor possible. It is a very positive environment comprably to the other worlds we live in day by day. There is a competitive nature, but I dont believe its as cut throat as other things in life.

Skydiving itself is a challenge. Something out of the norm that allows you to have a different experience each time, while having some type of familiarity to it as well.

For the people that work at DZ's I can only assume its the old adage, if you love what you do, you will never work a day in your life.
THRIVING IN MY DASH!!

I wrote to a Facebook friend that I was REALLY missing jumping. Her reply was: “What is it that you miss? The adrenaline - the sense of freedom?”

Here is what I wrote:

My first answer was going to be "BOTH", but it is much more complicated than that.
I miss the sense of:
-Camaraderie on the airplane;
-Anticipation when the pilot says “two minutes”;
-Focus as the pilot says “door”;
-Energy as the “exit” light turns green;
-Intensity like nothing else as I release the plane and accelerate to terminal speed;
-Connection as we build formations with no words said… watching for a smile and a twinkle in the eye to tell me what is going on in the mind of my clone;
-"Flow" when we get it right and the formations are smoothly forming and transitioning;
-Urgency as we break the formation and track away from each other;
-Curiosity as I deploy my main canopy… “Will it work?”;
-Release as I see a good canopy overhead;
-Peace as I fly my canopy over the terrain;
-Analytic satisfaction as I solve the three dimensional puzzle of approach and landing ;
-Triumph as I land my canopy standing up on the target!
My friend replied: ”Thanks for the insight.“
My wife replied: “You forgot the beer dear!”
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Try watching the movie "Adrenaline Rush: The Science of Risk" for some simple insights.

Aside from the physiology of risk takers discussed in the movie, what others have said here reflects a lot of the feelings I have also. I love the camaraderie, being around other people who love the sky, the somewhat unique energy around people making their first few jumps, etc.
Owned by Remi #?

the fantastic view from altitude:)
the people with whom i get to jump.
the fact that we get we wear " neat uniforms" ( though each persons' choice is unique and a reflection of their personal "style" ) and cool looking gear, while we skydive.

I like going fast, in freefall... though not so much under canopy.:|

i like feeling as though i can always Land Safely... no matter the spot...B|
I like watching new jumpers as they light up !!!! upon landing,,, and i like encouraging That feeling in them...

i like the fact that while my life is awfully conventional.. ( not that there's anything wrong with that !!!) my hobbies are Not!!!...I've always treated it as an extra-curricular activity.. and so trying "to make a living in it" matters little to me...

i like the HUGE variety of people who can be found on a DZ.. I like feeling that i am respected by any DZO where i may go, and that i set a decent example to the best of my abilities... I try to subtley let it be known, that i am happy, comfortable and competent,, at all times,, or else i WOULD find something else to do...;). I like hearing people call out my name, when i arrive at the airport.!!!!
i always smile and wave !!!B|

i do NOt skydive... to impress myself or anyone else... i do Not skydive because "it's a high risk sport".. in fact for me.. it gets a bit less risky as time goes on , because i tend to "recede into the security of the envelope", rather than to "press the edges" I pull higher than i did in the past, i engage in each jump with a well attuned sense of the seriousness of things,, i follow safety recommedations and all the small things like attention to gear , adherence to proper canopy traffic patterns, a willingness to yield the right of way.. whenever it's called for....and a genuine concern for not only MY welfare , but the wellbeing of Anyone with whom i might share the sky:|....
i fly my parachute like i drive on the expressway.... with Anticipation.... with my EYES open, head on a swivel and a sense that Nothing could surprise me.. Though a freeway IS more dangerous than jumping.... it never hurts, to be attentive!!

Plus... it's VERY difficult to get skydiving videos or decent stills of people while they skydive.......... if you're NOT skydiving..yourself!!:oB|;) so that too is why i enjoy it..
jimmytavino
A 3914
D 12122

Wow, thanks everyone for your answers! I'm wondering now, since a couple of you have mentioned it, is skydiving "for a living" the ultimate goal, or would that kill it? Or is it just not what you're looking for? Obviously this is a pretty subjective question, but I'm just looking for a sense of what the majority might feel.
I used to play soccer and dream of being able to do that for a living. Is it at all the same for skydiving? Would you refuse to skydive for a living if you could?

"Point Break" ....no, really ...no, seriously! :D

+1

and "terminal velocity", "dropzone" and "cutaway"..

:D:D:D

and of course all the hookers, the blow, the money and the fame.. :P
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Wow, thanks everyone for your answers! I'm wondering now, since a couple of you have mentioned it, is skydiving "for a living" the ultimate goal, or would that kill it? Or is it just not what you're looking for? Obviously this is a pretty subjective question, but I'm just looking for a sense of what the majority might feel.
I used to play soccer and dream of being able to do that for a living. Is it at all the same for skydiving? Would you refuse to skydive for a living if you could?

Since there are many, many more active skydivers than there are people who are making a living in skydiving, I would say that skydiving "for a living" is not the ultimate goal for the majority of skydivers (or, if it once was, they've looked at the cost/benefit and decided that the "living" they can make skydiving is not worth the tradeoffs required to get there.

I suppose I flirted with the idea of "cutting away" and "living the dream" early in my skydiving career, but as I settled into it I realized that I like skydiving to be a part of my life, an important part, but not my entire life. And I've grown comfortable with the lifestyle I'm able to lead by working a 9-5 professional job and I'm not willing to give that up right now.

So, I'm a weekend jumper, who averages about 150 jumps a year but stays active in a whole lot of other things in my life. I have a coach rating, which allows me to work with newer jumpers, but not anywhere close to a full-time basis, and that works well for me right now.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

and of course all the hookers, the blow, the money and the fame.. :P

Charlie Sheen skydives??:o

:D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message