rifleman

Would you consider 1st Sunset Load a beer event?

It used to be an honor to be called out on a case, now days the younger crew is a bunch of pussy and all try skirt around the time honored tradition in many ways, pretty sad really.
:P

perhaps the younger generation is being a 'pussy' by caring about their longterm health ad wellness by not drinking alcohol...yes very pussy indeed :D

No one said to drink it….they said buy it pussy.

Sparky

No more calls...we have a winner! :D:D

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

The beer rules only apply if the veterans freely and regularly jump with the newbies (the folks experiencing most of the firsts and therefore buying most of the beer). If the veterans are rather cliquish (sp?) and shun newbies, don't buy 'em a thing. If it's somewhere in between, use your judgement. I started out buying freely and putting it in the fridge, but after seeing that only a small portion of the vets even noticed I existed, changed to only sharing with those that made me feel welcome.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

I don't consider a sunset jump to be beer worthy in and of itself although I could not help myself from clicking on "Boobies" I mean who doesn't like clicking boobies.....

With that said, anyone that knows me can tell you that I don't drink (never will) but I always will honor tradition and buy beer... even when that means that I have to go buy Gatorade or Coke or something from a vending while others are drinking said beer (just ask the guys at Elsinore that mid-July Friday evening about a month ago when a fellow skydiver and I walked onto the DZ for the 1st time and carrying cases of beer each. Loved the response: "I don't know who they are but obviously they are skydivers!").

The only alcohol I have ever bought in my life has been to honor beer rules. (well there might have been a time at a bar for a hot girl....) And I will continue to honor those traditions that made skydiving the great community that I have become to know and love.

BTW for anyone who thinks I'm a pussy for not drinking..... next time we're at a boogie and the closest place to eat/drink is at decent drive away, you know I'll become your best friend for at least the drive to and from. Can anyone say 54 miles each way to Key West last Keys boogie... :P for those that I was the DD for and partied with then, thank you again for the lift tickets... I would have drove you all there and back just for the fun. The free skydives were unexpected and greatly appreciated.

I don't consider a sunset jump to be beer worthy in and of itself although I could not help myself from clicking on "Boobies" I mean who doesn't like clicking boobies.....

With that said, anyone that knows me can tell you that I don't drink (never will) but I always will honor tradition and buy beer... even when that means that I have to go buy Gatorade or Coke or something from a vending while others are drinking said beer (just ask the guys at Elsinore that mid-July Friday evening about a month ago when a fellow skydiver and I walked onto the DZ for the 1st time and carrying cases of beer each. Loved the response: "I don't know who they are but obviously they are skydivers!").

The only alcohol I have ever bought in my life has been to honor beer rules. (well there might have been a time at a bar for a hot girl....) And I will continue to honor those traditions that made skydiving the great community that I have become to know and love.

BTW for anyone who thinks I'm a pussy for not drinking..... next time we're at a boogie and the closest place to eat/drink is at decent drive away, you know I'll become your best friend for at least the drive to and from. Can anyone say 54 miles each way to Key West last Keys boogie... :P for those that I was the DD for and partied with then, thank you again for the lift tickets... I would have drove you all there and back just for the fun. The free skydives were unexpected and greatly appreciated.

some are on a spiritual path that diverges from such mean (ie average) consumptive behavior as buying and drinking alcohol.

You appear more ambivalent than that - which is acceptable also -

also having been exposed very immediately and personally with drug addicts (alcohol and drugs) it does not feel right to some to support addictive drug-taking behavior in others.

:)

some are on a spiritual path that diverges from such mean (ie average) consumptive behavior as buying and drinking alcohol.

also having been exposed very immediately and personally with drug addicts (alcohol and drugs) it does not feel right to some to support addictive drug-taking behavior in others.

Oh, for Cripes sake.... Then buy a DQ Ice Cream cake and see if anyone objects? The bottom line is, it's about finding reasons to celebrate our common bond.

But, make sure it's not the first time you've bought an ice cream cake. ;)
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

>also having been exposed very immediately and personally with drug addicts (alcohol
>and drugs) it does not feel right to some to support addictive drug-taking behavior in
>others.

No worries. A case of O'Doul's (or soda, or gatorade) is generally just as welcome.

(just ask the guys at Elsinore that mid-July Friday evening about a month ago when a fellow skydiver and I walked onto the DZ for the 1st time and carrying cases of beer each. Loved the response: "I don't know who they are but obviously they are skydivers!").

And that is what make you two so awesome! Class act....:)
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

your kidding right? I don't drink for personal (ie not spiritual or OH MY GOD I WAS ABUSED AS A CHILD) reasons, simple as that. I'm not torn between the two (OMG a skydiver that knew what that big word meant).

If we wanna talk about not feeling right about supporting an addictive behavior than why do we all support each other skydiving or dang I guess I'm a drug dealer since I'm an AFFI and TI... lock my ass up since we all talk about jonesin for an air fix.

I started out my post commenting on boobies and you wanted to get it all metaphysical.... I guess next time I want to ramble on about the ineluctable modality of the visible I'll look you up.

until then...... BOOBIES..BOOBIES...BOOBIES...BOOBIES...BOOBIES... wait did someone say ice cream???????? :P

...wait did someone say ice cream

HOW DARE YOU...sly attempt to impose your sugar rush addiction on all of the poor anti-diabetes heath warriors who spend countless hours driving between the gym and the DZ.

Shame on you...have you no compassion ~ no humanity?

Think of the CHILDREN!

BTW...ever notice how a soft serve ice cream cone kinda looks like a boobie? :$

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

a bit preachy but no issue there - frankly, I'm usually more enthusiastic with the newbie substituting root beer floats, or soda, than beer

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Yes, that is indeed a beer-worthy event - but 9 times out of 10 you can use the "student exemption" and get away with it.

You've been in the sport for how long and you still don't know Beer Rules?
:D:D:D:D:D:P
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

>You've been in the sport for how long and you still don't know Beer Rules?

21 years! Students are specifically exempted from the requirement per the official Beer Rules as promulgated by the late Rick Horn. (Although they are encouraged to participate to "get things started" so to speak.) Traditionally the "first" first case is bought upon completion of the student program. From his now-famous 1994 post on Rec.Skydiving:

===============

It is a sad fact that some skydivers are ignorant of what constitutes
a significant achievement (usually and henceforth referred to as a
"first"). Equally sad is the fact that some unscrupulously thirsty
jumpers will shamelessly try to "weasel" a case of beer out of a jumper
for an inauspicious event. . . .

It is not required of students. They are simply encouraged to participate.

===============

Students are specifically exempted from the requirement per the official Beer Rules as promulgated by the late Rick Horn.

Right!

Here's a good reference link (Rick's earlier quote, embedded and adopted):

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=821580;#821580

And, one of my all-time favorites, actually - an article you wrote yourself, back in '04. Pay particular attention kiddies, to item #9 in this list:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/safety/detail_page.cgi?ID=81

BSBD to Rick Horn. Still remembered. Still missed.
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

a bit preachy but no issue there - frankly, I'm usually more enthusiastic with the newbie substituting root beer floats, or soda, than beer

IMO Rehmwa - It would only be "preachy" (if we are using these words the same way) if there was a mandate for others to follow suit - which there was not (nor was there one intended to be interpreted). Speaking for myself, I certainly do not care what other people do with their bodies - as long as they do not harm me or my loved ones.

your kidding right? I don't drink for personal (ie not spiritual or OH MY GOD I WAS ABUSED AS A CHILD) reasons, simple as that. I'm not torn between the two (OMG a skydiver that knew what that big word meant).

If we wanna talk about not feeling right about supporting an addictive behavior than why do we all support each other skydiving or dang I guess I'm a drug dealer since I'm an AFFI and TI... lock my ass up since we all talk about jonesin for an air fix.

I do not personally agree with you that participating in skydiving is displaying addictive behavior. What constitutes addictive behavior is an element of compulsivity and an element of harm to the individual (or group of individuals or society the addiction is situated in). Certainly skydiving could be addictive (and some are addicted), however it is set up so that it could be a very healthy and fulfilling activity (in the sunshine, with friends, moving your body, stimulating your mind).

Maybe your post most clearly identifies your own problematic relationship to skydiving (that there is an element of addiction to it). Be careful not to project onto others your own problems.

Stewart's cream soda, IBC root beer, there are lots of choices, but you must bring a case of beer or acceptable substitute for this event.
Don't let anybody start you off on the wrong foot by telling you different.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

Bud light would be a no-no at most drop zones I've been to, but local standards and protocols differ.

Really? [:/]
:D:D:D

It's amazing how entitled this generation is. :P

And "They" thought the last generation was the "ME" generation.

+1 ;)

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals