MikeTJumps

Saturday BOD in Minneapolis

Here are my notes from today's activities and meetings. I have tried to be accurate in my notes but if I made an error, I apologize in advance. As always, the official version will be what the USPA secretary writes up and issues on the USPA's website.

Please note that any discussion on wingsuits will be held tomorrow.

Executive Director Meeting Saturday:
I was not privy to this meeting as compensation was to be discussed. Only active directors and USPA staff are allowed to attend closed sessions.

Safety & Training, Saturday morning session:
Opening altitudes for students were discussed. No changes have been proposed to be accepted.
Canopy proficiency card: some minor changes will be made to include changing the order of items in the card. Practice flairs with open and closed eyes will not be removed. Front riser turns will be removed from jump #2. Jumps 3 & 4 will be switched. Practicing stalls should be practiced before brake turns are practiced. Cross wind landings will remain in jump #4. The card may suggest an order of performing these actions but the order will not be mandatory.
A-stamped license card: There will be a 60 day limit to the use of the card as a current license. After that period, there must be an officially issued license (the card must be submitted to USPA HQ for authentication and issuance of a valid A-license) with the appropriate license fee. If a person does not submit the application for the license within the 60 day period, they can always submit it later with the fee but the card will not be treated as a valid/official license once the 60 day time period has expired. People can always file for either the A or B license when they so desire. A problem has been that some of the A-license cards have not been filled out properly, so by submitting the card for an official license, USPA HQ will be able to verify that the card is filled out correctly or return it to the participant for the card to be completed correctly.

Wingsuit program: More debate concerning this program occurred. Each camp has strong opinions that were put forward. A motion was made and passed to implement a Wingsuit Rating Program and the motion will be brought up to the full board for further discussion with details to be worked out if the motion is passed by the full board.
Nominations and Elections:
There were five potential BOD candidates who did not meet the letter of the rules in getting their names eligible for listing on the upcoming ballot. Each individual’s case was listened to and considerations were give for each of the special circumstances listed as reasons as to why they did not meet the letter of the rules for the process. The decision of the committee was to put the issue of the two members that they felt merited additional consideration before the full BOD but of the remaining three potential candidates, one withdrew their request for consideration and the other two were to be notified that the committee did not agree with their extenuating circumstances but as such, they could run as write-in candidates.
Plenary Session Saturday:
The first hour of this was a closed session, dealing with disciplinary issues and as such, the gallery was not allowed to be present.
Finance and Budget:
Doc Lee reported out. The audit was clean and in full compliance with the purpose of the association. The motion to accept the audit for 2011 was approved.
Nominations and Election Committee: Both Randy Schroeder’s and Gary Peek’s eligibility for candidacy for the upcoming election were confirmed. The other two petitioner’s requests were not approved and one petitioner withdrew their request for a waiver to the existing rules. Of course, these other people always have the ability to conduct a write-in campaign to be considered for election to the BOD. However, the eligibility requirements for any person elected by a write-in ballot must be verified in accordance with the Bylaws in order for them to be seated on the BOD.
Safety and Training:
Instructional rating course pre-requisites: No action resulted for any change to those pre-requisites.
USPA License Requests: The A-license card will be required to be sent in for authentication with an appropriate license fee. There will be a 60 day limit to the validity of a stamped license card. After that 60 day period, a formal A-license must be applied for and issued to be considered a valid A-license with a number. A non-validated license card will not be accepted as a valid license past that 60 day period. The problem has been that the cards are sometimes not completed correctly, therefore by formally causing the processing the card for an A-license, that will ensure proper completion of the card or returning of the card for proper authentication of the training record of that student. People that have already proceeded to the B-license will not be required to submit their A-license cards as they already have a license above that grade of the A-license.
FAI skydiving licenses that are not Certificates of Proficiency are not considered as valid licenses. Therefore, for anyone to get a USPA instructional rating, the applicant must have a USPA license. This will be effective as of December 31, 2011.
Wind Tunnel survey results: No wind tunnel time will be allowed to be considered as freefall time for the purpose of obtaining a USPA rating.
Age requirement: The previous motion referencing the age requirements for jumping requested by the equipment manufacturers’ representative was deleted and as such, no reference to the age requirements for use of a manufacturer’s equipment will be referenced in the USPA’s documentation.
Randy Schroeder’s request for waiving the jump requirements to renew his ratings of record was approved. This is because Randy is capable of conducting first jump courses and evaluations as a course examiner but is physically medically unable to jump anymore at this time.
George Rivera’s request for a similar waiver was granted but it was noted that while he is capable of jumping, he has chosen not to jump because he is too busy to do so at this time.
Canopy Piloting Proficiency card: Certain changes to the Canopy Piloting Proficiency card as mentioned earlier in this report were motioned to be approved. (Details can be obtained in the official USPA minutes when they are available.) Corresponding language in the SIM will also need to be amended accordingly.
FAA medical: No action was supported to change the requirements as stated in our doctrine.
I/Es should have access to information necessary for them to authenticate a candidate’s eligibility for a rating.
US Naval Academy: These jumpers will have the same provisional D-license and provisional Pro rating issuance to allow them to jump on their own Naval Academy campus.
Constitution and Bylaws:
The date for amending the Competition Manual is deleted.
The reference to “member’s dues” is going to be removed from the documentation with regards to membership termination.
Group membership:
A new group membership designation of a “Foreign Affiliate” member is being created for all non-US based dropzones.
Mike Turoff
Instructor Examiner, USPA
Co-author of Parachuting, The Skydiver's Handbook

Nominations and Election Committee: Both Randy Schroeder’s and Gary Peek’s eligibility for candidacy for the upcoming election were confirmed. The other two petitioner’s requests were not approved and one petitioner withdrew their request for a waiver to the existing rules. Of course, these other people always have the ability to conduct a write-in campaign to be considered for election to the BOD

Thanks for the updates....if you have it in your notes can you please let us know the reasons given for not filing on time by the candidates? Just curious.....

"You start off your skydiving career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience up before your bag of luck runs out."

"A problem has been that some of the A-license cards have not been filled out properly, so by submitting the card for an official license, USPA HQ will be able to verify that the card is filled out correctly or return it to the participant for the card to be completed correctly."

Bullshit. The problem is that USPA isn't getting the license fees from those of us using the stamped/signed A cards filled out & authorized by USPA-certified instructors... What's the matter? All the license fees you'll get throughout the rest of our jump careers aren't enough?

Randy was in the hospital undergoing emergency surgery and was waiting for a reply from HQ on his rating renewal when he became incapacitated. As such, his request merited special consideration.

Gary's renewal was received in the mail one day after his membership expired and as such, the interpretation of the wording for eligibility was realized to not specify any "hours" of not being a current member. As such, since his membership was renewed the very next day after it was expired, he was considered a continuous member. The committee interpreted the rules correctly but as stated above, the "currency" issue was resolved by the fact that it did not state "expires at midnight" on the last day of his current membership.

Other potential candidates for inclusion on the ballot were days out of the filing deadline or currency of membership and as such, did not merit a change of their status.
Mike Turoff

You are not correct in your assertions. Many cards have been incorrectly filled out and when it comes time for moving from one DZ to another, they are not valid if they are not correct. It is not a matter of getting money, it is a matter of getting things done right. Educating the signers of the cards is needed. Don't be so quick to judge the situation until you have seen the data and/or talked with the HQ personnel about the issues, which I would encourage you to do!
Mike Turoff

"Many cards have been incorrectly filled out and when it comes time for moving from one DZ to another, they are not valid if they are not correct. It is not a matter of getting money, it is a matter of getting things done right."

My A card was signed off by an instructor w/decades of experience. I've taken it to four different DZs, so far. All w/o a problem. It's very refreshing to know this isn't about the addition monies, Mike. Then, you can simply require everyone to fax in a copy for a gratis review, right? Problem solved... If you need to re-certify some of the instructors you cleared to begin with? Do so. There's no need to further penalize members for that.

dude he knows what he is talking about. 139 jumps in 3 years
1300 post, so shut it.

+1 (shakes head) :S

Sparky

WOW! I made >1300 posts already :o?! Criusin B|...

Actually, almost all those jumps were made last year. I didn't start AFF right after my first jump. Not bad at all w/my work schedule. Regardless, my point stands. Negating it due to my jump numbers is decidedly lame :|.

1300 post, so shut it.

Sparky

Actually, almost all those jumps were made last year. I didn't start AFF right after my first jump. Not bad at all w/my work schedule. Regardless, my point stands. Negating it due to my jump numbers is decidedly lame :|.

Mike's point still stands. He has formed his opinion based on data from the people that handle all the cards submitted plus has reviewed and signed countless cards with other instructors himself. You have offered up the fact that your 1 card was filled out properly therefore we do not have a problem. Your point never had a chance of standing. ;)

1300 post, so shut it.

Sparky

Mike's point still stands. He has formed his opinion based on data from the people that handle all the cards submitted plus has reviewed and signed countless cards with other instructors himself. You have offered up the fact that your 1 card was filled out properly therefore we do not have a problem. Your point never had a chance of standing. ;)

If it's not about the money, but about USPA fixing their own mistake? They can do that w/o charging members any more monies. My point stands just fine. Piss off :)

Well if you agree there is a problem that needs to be fixed then maybe it is a misunderstanding on how the USPA works on the macro level. In general terms "The United States Parachute Association (USPA) is a voluntary membership organization of individuals who enjoy and support the sport of skydiving." if the elected body sees a need to address an issue at a cost the cost needs to be covered by the organization. If you see a cheaper solution please detail this but saying there is no problem, or there is but someone else should deal with it is not productive.

"if the elected body sees a need to address an issue at a cost the cost needs to be covered by the organization. If you see a cheaper solution please detail this but saying there is no problem, or there is but someone else should deal with it is not productive."

I did: "Then, you can simply require everyone to fax in a copy for a gratis review, right? Problem solved..."

"If you need to re-certify some of the instructors you cleared to begin with? Do so. There's no need to further penalize members for that."

If there's a problem w/some instructors? The instructors themselves can pay for their own re-certifications. It would hardly cost USPA anywhere near $35 to glance at a piece of paper & verify that every I is dotted & every T crossed...

Actually, this change is the wrong solution to the problem.

The problem is that Is are not filling in the card correctly and signing it off incorrectly.
The solution - you'd think - would be to address this issue with the Is, thru the Professional newsletter, Parachutist, S&TA meetings, RDs talking to DZOs etc.

The Is are the ones making life difficult for HQ.
The Is should have the 'your performance needs improvement' talk.

Nope - that's not how it went.
HQ said that they wanted everyone with a A card to be mandated to send it in to get an 'official number'.
They further said that the card would only be good for a short time.
Oh yeah - you owe us some money to check the work of your I.

That's why I voted against this motion.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

I'm glad you voted against this. I've met my USPA regional rep. He's a good guy. I've seen him go above & beyond to help us newer jumpers stay safe. Garbage like this negates the hard work of people like him. This latest policy change is nothing more than a blatant money grab. MikeT's excuse is BS. If MikeT wants a fancier hotel room for the multiple free trips he gets to take for USPA? He can do what the rest of us do, & pay for them himself. Or, do they want more monies to fund their demo team against other members' teams? Policies like this don't help the sport grow. Pissing off new people just coming in, is short-sighted. USPA is fast becoming the enemy. What's next? Frequent NRA-esque scare mail, warning of dire political threats that require even MORE donations? Screw you too, USPA. You're not fooling anyone. I'll make sure & curtail higher licensing in order to offset this expense...

I'm glad you voted against this. I've met my USPA regional rep. He's a good guy. I've seen him go above & beyond to help us newer jumpers stay safe. Garbage like this negates the hard work of people like him. This latest policy change is nothing more than a blatant money grab. MikeT's excuse is BS. If MikeT wants a fancier hotel room for the multiple free trips he gets to take for USPA? He can do what the rest of us do, & pay for them himself. Or, do they want more monies to fund their demo team against other members' teams? Policies like this don't help the sport grow. Pissing off new people just coming in, is short-sighted. USPA is fast becoming the enemy. What's next? Frequent NRA-esque scare mail, warning of dire political threats that require even MORE donations? Screw you too, USPA. You're not fooling anyone. I'll make sure & curtail higher licensing in order to offset this expense...

Before you shoot your mouth off get your facts straight. Mike is not on the BOD or work for USPA.

You might want to apologize for you remarks.

Sparky

Mike Turoff

Expertise

expert/master parachutist and an Instructor Examiner in the sport of Skydiving. Mike is a licensed (jump) pilot and parachute rigger, who is an analytical chemist in the "regular working world." As a dedicated instructor, Mike has made over 3,400 jumps since 1977. Mike has contributed to many of the training materials and exams used by USPA and the sport. He has authored numerous articles dealing with safety and training practices that have appeared in both Parachutist and Skydiving magazines. Mike participates as an evaluator at AFF Training Camps and Certification Courses and is a rated to perform Tandem instruction using both the Relative Workshop and Strong Enterprises gear. Mike is co-author of "Parachuting, The Skydiver`s Handbook and the CD-ROM text for "Skydiving, A Multimedia Reference."

My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

USPA is fast becoming the enemy. What's next? Frequent NRA-esque scare mail, warning of dire political threats that require even MORE donations? Screw you too, USPA. You're not fooling anyone. I'll make sure & curtail higher licensing in order to offset this expense...

First let me say, many longtime regular posters here will tell you I'm no big fan of many past & present BOD members and HQ staff and I've been rather clear in my "choice" words over the years on that subject.

However, not all are bad people, some are fighting the good fight and have always had the members & skydivings best interest in mind in the things they do, we, as members, may not always agree... Just look at how Jan was treated over her taking a stand on the SDAZ vs Skyride case. It's clear she was in the right and USPA was lead down the wrong road, costing the membership thousands $$$$$$$$ !!!! Many of you wanted to throw her out to the wolfs, many of us stood by her and supported her, we lost and some crooks got a big pay check of our membership monies.

As we sit here and watch you bitch, there is a time clock running, you state:

What's next? Frequent NRA-esque scare mail, warning of dire political threats that require even MORE donations?

Let me ask you, do you not think there are major pressing Government regulations/changes heading our way? Do you not believe it's a "political threat" that can and will force the shutting down of dz's? Are you aware that Deland FL. is looking at being forced to lose two LZ's there. Are you not aware there are operators who are going to be forced to move their operations in the near future, should these "political threats" happen, and it looks like they will.

Have you taken the time to write the FAA as you were asked to do by not only USPA, but in a number of posts by members like me? Have you? Care to post your remarks and prove it? Also, how much are you willing to pay for a jump ticket in the near future? You are a fool if you fail to heed the recent "warning of dire political threats" and fail to take part in the process. They are very real political threats to our industry as we know it!

In asking USPA, when I submitted my seven pages of comments, how many members & DZO's have taken the time to reply.... let's just say the turn out (back then) was 75% worst then the membership voting record. NOW that is way fucked up! 35,000 members and only a handful of us give enough of a shit to take part in the process..... many of you are too fucking lazy to 1. give a shit and think it won't effect you, 2. or write a damn letter and make your voices heard. But you all are the first mother fuckers to get on here and bitch all about how fucked up USPA is an how they don't do shit for you, yep always trying to get one over on you!

USPA is fast becoming the enemy.

Do you even have a clue who the real enemy is and who you should be keeping an eye on? Again did you submit your comments to the FAA & USPA on this pressing issue before us? NO? you have till the 27th, that is next Monday.... Maybe you take time out of your busy fun time this weekend @ the DZ to get as many of your fellow jumpers to take part and submit all your dz's comments? What? wouldn't want to interrupt your fun & jumping for 30 min, now would we.

Screw you too, USPA.

So when your paying 30 or 35 bucks for a jump ticket, I bet you'll be on here bitching about and saying how USPA screwed you & the members because they didn't do enough to fend off the FAA's current attack on the industry, all while failing to do your part. It is clear you have not a clue just how much HQ staff & BOD members have been doing to keep your sorry asses in the air across the country and at as cheep a cost as possible! You have no idea how many hours per week HQ staff spend dealing with the FAA in order to protect your interest in jumping out of planes in the USA.

You're not fooling anyone.

There is only one fool I see here. Get your head out of the sand, get educated, take part in the process, make your voice heard to those in charge and not just bitch on DZ.com, engage your RD and the BOD, or STFU!
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Sorry, but you have no clue.....
I'm an I and an I-E, and getting a license rather than having a card does matter for safety.
If you have a real license, I can verify it at USPA website in a minute. If you have a signed card I have no way to be sure it's valid if I don't know the person who signed it.
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.

USPA is fast becoming the enemy. What's next? Frequent NRA-esque scare mail, warning of dire political threats that require even MORE donations? Screw you too, USPA. You're not fooling anyone. I'll make sure & curtail higher licensing in order to offset this expense...

First let me say, many longtime regular posters here will tell you I'm no big fan of many past & present BOD members and HQ staff and I've been rather clear in my "choice" words over the years on that subject.

However, not all are bad people, some are fighting the good fight and have always had the members & skydivings best interest in mind in the things they do, we, as members, may not always agree... Just look at how Jan was treated over her taking a stand on the SDAZ vs Skyride case. It's clear she was in the right and USPA was lead down the wrong road, costing the membership thousands $$$$$$$$ !!!! Many of you wanted to throw her out to the wolfs, many of us stood by her and supported her, we lost and some crooks got a big pay check of our membership monies.

As we sit here and watch you bitch, there is a time clock running, you state:

What's next? Frequent NRA-esque scare mail, warning of dire political threats that require even MORE donations?

Let me ask you, do you not think there are major pressing Government regulations/changes heading our way? Do you not believe it's a "political threat" that can and will force the shutting down of dz's? Are you aware that Deland FL. is looking at being forced to lose two LZ's there. Are you not aware there are operators who are going to be forced to move their operations in the near future, should these "political threats" happen, and it looks like they will.

+1 Stratostar -- and unfortunately, today's NY Times has a case-in-point story that underscores how important USPA's work is to keeping us in the sky and not paying European and Asian prices for a jump.

Yes, this story is about a parasailing rather than parachuting death, but the "there oughta be a LAW" mentality is transferable -- and, more importantly, how many whuffos in positions of power can tell the difference between the two anyway?

Yes, USPA will always aggravate part or most of its membership with some of its intra-sport management and policymaking (and I'm totally with Jan on the kerfuffle about license cards, for example), but it's also important to look at the most important part of the big picture, which is basic airspace access -- and on that score, USPA has since its founding consistently batted close to 1,000.

B|
SCR-6933 / SCS-3463 / D-5533 / BASE 44 / CCS-37 / 82d Airborne (Ret.)

"The beginning of wisdom is to first call things by their right names."

Mike Turoff

Expertise

expert/master parachutist and an Instructor Examiner in the sport of Skydiving. Mike is a licensed (jump) pilot and parachute rigger, who is an analytical chemist in the "regular working world." As a dedicated instructor, Mike has made over 3,400 jumps since 1977. Mike has contributed to many of the training materials and exams used by USPA and the sport. He has authored numerous articles dealing with safety and training practices that have appeared in both Parachutist and Skydiving magazines. Mike participates as an evaluator at AFF Training Camps and Certification Courses and is a rated to perform Tandem instruction using both the Relative Workshop and Strong Enterprises gear. Mike is co-author of "Parachuting, The Skydiver`s Handbook and the CD-ROM text for "Skydiving, A Multimedia Reference."

Now ask him how long it has been since he actually exercised any of those jumping, rigging, instructing or jump pilot skills.

"If you have a real license, I can verify it at USPA website in a minute. If you have a signed card I have no way to be sure it's valid if I don't know the person who signed it."

The USPA license will show that a card was filled out properly. If presented w/a signed A card. I'd say a quick phone call will tell you more about the jumper's abilities. Skydiving is a small world. Don't most of you Instructor guys N gals already know each other, more or less? Either by card or license, a certified instructor has aid the jumper meets the requirements. Are you saying you don't trust some of the instructors? Or, you just don't trust their penmanship?

I don't have a clue? I know BS when I hear it. I know a money-grab when I see one...

Hi,

"However, not all are bad people, some are fighting the good fight and have always had the members & skydivings best interest in mind in the things they do"

I never said they are all bad. In fact, I cited one USPA rep who does a great job.

"Let me ask you, do you not think there are major pressing Government regulations/changes heading our way?"

I'd like to think most readers of my comment would understand my meaning. Every quarter, the NRA sends out mailers spewing the same fear-mongering visions of political doom & gloom. Every quarter, they've got their hand out again. The appearance to many NRA members (& I don't want to derail this into an NRA discussion) is a cozy relationship on the Hill w/their $uppo$ed adversarie$...

Did I ever say we don't need a political arm to help protect ourselves from our own Govt.? Only someone very Naive would think that. I made the NRA scare mail remark for a reason.

"Have you taken the time to write the FAA as you were asked to do by not only USPA, but in a number of posts by members like me? Have you? Care to post your remarks and prove it?"

People communicate much better when you don't get in their grill. Just saying...

No, I haven't written in on that. Why not? Not because I'm lazy, too preoccupied, or any other inferences you accused me of. I didn't write in because I'm still a baby in this sport. What credible weight would I bring to the debate? I know very little about FAA oversight. They'd see a member w/no links to any DZ, no instructor ratings, nothing to bear but a passion for the sport. I imagine the letter would be quickly filed to the side. That doesn't mean I wouldn't want to become more knowledgeable about these issues. It doesn't mean I wouldn't want to take a more active role. Accusing me of being a lazy, selfish sack isn't going to help anyone...

"Do you even have a clue who the real enemy is and who you should be keeping an eye on?"

This sport has enemies in the business & political worlds. If the agency that's supposed to be fighting for us, is stealing from us? That's a problem, no? Getting angry at me for stating views you don't like won't help anyone. You get pissed at some of USPA's crap? OK. So am I. Rather than attacking someone you don't even know. How about educating me on what I don't? You don't really expect new members to come in fully versed on these issues, do you?

Someone taught me long ago. Make someone happy, & they might tell a few people. Piss someone off, & they'll tell EVERYBODY. I've only met a couple of USPA peeps so far. I've been impressed by their commitment to giving back to the sport, & paying it forward. That is not what I see coming from the USPA board meetings. I remember that thread about USPA's creating a demo team. They pushed it ahead of members' established teams, & paid for it all w/membership monies. I stayed out of that conversation because I had nothing constructive to contribute. I clearly remember the outrage of the old dawgs, though. Rightly so, I'd say. That kind of crap isn't gonna win USPA any friends. Stealing, & working against the membership negates the good work done by many of the USPA people out in the field.

I may not know much about the political workings of USPA & our challenges. I do know BS when I hear it. I also know a money grab when I see it. My being pissed about that doesn't make me apethetic or lazy.

"Before you shoot your mouth off get your facts straight. Mike is not on the BOD or work for USPA.

You might want to apologize for you remarks.

Sparky"

I've no idea what MikeT's actual role within USPA is. I really don't care, TBH. He tried to defend stealing, w/a BS excuse. Don't hold your breath waiting for that apology, Sparky. It isn't coming. I'll be damned if I'll apologize to a thief, or those who cover for them...