MrX323

Skydiving boring with time?

Hi,

i would make the skydiving license (those one with 28 jumps) but i am doubt of because i think it will be boring after 5 oder 10 jumps. You can't do a lot in the air ... only turns and so.

If i drive a roller coaster five times, it will be boring for me. Now i don't know if i should spent the money to the license?

Can someone tell me, if it is boring after a few jumps. Please telling me our experience.

Thank you and best Wishes!

Yeah, its boring as fuck. But this sport attracts people like the character Dunbar in the novel Catch 22, who figured out that time passes slowly when you are bored. So you end up living a seemingly longer life if you actively seek out boring pasttimes.

And for the boredom factor, what can beat skydiving?

Come join us and you can live long too!

Hi,

i would make the skydiving license (those one with 28 jumps) but i am doubt of because i think it will be boring after 5 oder 10 jumps. You can't do a lot in the air ... only turns and so.

If i drive a roller coaster five times, it will be boring for me. Now i don't know if i should spent the money to the license?

Can someone tell me, if it is boring after a few jumps. Please telling me our experience.

Yep. Boring as hell. I'm gonna go be bored again Saturday :)
__

My mighty steed

lol :D ... thank you for that cool post.
Yea, i think i will try it and will life longer. :P

Yeah, its boring as fuck. But this sport attracts people like the character Dunbar in the novel Catch 22, who figured out that time passes slowly when you are bored. So you end up living a seemingly longer life if you actively seek out boring pasttimes.

And for the boredom factor, what can beat skydiving?

Come join us and you can live long too!

Unlike riding a roller coaster, you're not doing the same thing every skydive. If every skydive was exactly the same, yes, it might get boring. But they're not, and there's always something new to learn and improve. B|

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

the way I see it, you, like most people, see skydiving as if it was a long bungy jump- just something you do for the thrill of jumping out of a plane.
once you'll start jumping and learning, you'll see that skydiving is actually about flying your body. if you think that flying an airplane can be fun for more then 5 times, imagine what it would feel like without the airplane ;)

I wrote a post about it recently if you're interested. it has a focus on RW which is just one disipline in skydiving, but I think it might answer your question anyway:
http://teampekedit.wordpress.com/

[Bill Von analogy mode]

Comparing sport skydiving to a roller coaster ride is not good. On a roller coaster you are not in control, so it is like a tandem in that way. A passenger on a tandem is fun once or twice, but they get boring really fast.

Skydiving might be more like driving a car on a race track. Sure you can only speed up/slow down and turn, but you are in control, and that makes a big difference!

Driving around the track slowly by yourself would get boring real quick too, but add some friends and try to race each other around the track and now you have something you can spend hours and hours of enjoyment and learning.

[\Bill Von analogy mode]
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

After a couple hundred jumps, I am still a beginner at RW and a total NEWB at freefly. I have finally reached a stage where I might consider a 2way RW jump not exciting, and if I extrapolate that out it will probably take another 20 years for me to think an 8way is boring.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

Can someone tell me, if it is boring after a few jumps.

Have you made any jumps? Try one, and if you feel like it's something you want to do again, do it again. Keep doing this until you don't want to jump any more.

It's different for everyone. Some people don't want to jump at all, and some people don't want to do anything but jump.

Sounds a bit like a troll but maybe a serious question from someone whose first language isn't english.

You can take hundreds of jumps to get decent at each of the following: small belly formations, biggerways, sitflying, head down, freestyle, VRW, wingsuiting, CRW, tracking, atmo, coaching, instructing.

There, that takes care of your first couple thousand jumps at least.

The point isn't just to fall, but to explore all the different ways you can fall, and then combine that with friends, creating almost infinite possibilities of things to try.

Sure one can get stuck in a rut or not have the right group of people around to do what you want to practice on a particular day. And skydiving does cost a chunk of money. So there are practical limits. But there's always something to try that's new or something to get better at.

After a couple hundred jumps, I am still a beginner at RW and a total NEWB at freefly. I have finally reached a stage where I might consider a 2way RW jump not exciting, and if I extrapolate that out it will probably take another 20 years for me to think an 8way is boring.

must be you or the people you jump with then because two way belly jumps with a friend are still fun as hell and I have 320 jumps :ph34r:

once I realized that you could freefly on your belly - then two way belly jumps became a lot more fun

I can assure you that 8 way will never be boring. You will need to be on your physical and mental "A" game every dive. Do it 10-12 times a day and it will be "exhilarating and exhausting."
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Swooping never gets boring.

How can you be bored when the next five seconds could hold an unrivalled thrill, or the end of your life, or anything in between?
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

Swooping never gets boring.

How can you be bored when the next five seconds could hold an unrivalled thrill, or the end of your life, or anything in between?

lets see some of your recent swoops

Why?
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

Hi,

Jumping is just like sex.... it's soooo boring after the first few times that almost everyone gives it up. Oh wait... never mind.

So here's an idea: Next time you jump, don't pull until you're not bored any more.

And in the meantime, check out these boring jumps.

Yaawwwwnnn.....

B|

P.S. Seriously, though, you should either quit or be patient because you either don't understand what you're doing or you just need to learn enough to do more than bore a hole in the sky and make a few turns. And if you practice enough, you too can make a jump as boring as this one.
SCR-6933 / SCS-3463 / D-5533 / BASE 44 / CCS-37 / 82d Airborne (Ret.)

"The beginning of wisdom is to first call things by their right names."

Try something new. I did 68 solo jumps and had 5 coaching jumps (all weeks apart with a different coach each time) before I quit for a while as simply jumping out alone was boring. Making a cup of tea was more exciting tbh I kid you not.

What new stuff?

Formation jumps, Free fly, CReW.

Of course that depends where you are. As if you're in the UK you're shit out of luck because the regs mean you need to get qualified in such disciplines.

Which isn't a terrible thing, except the combination of bad weather and lack of coaches. Namely because they are all busy flying camera for tandems, jumping tandems etc etc.

Means that there are no coaches unless you practically live at the DZ.

Although he might sound like a troll, it is not a unique experience this guy is having, as my above post says. I got seriously bored of skydiving. The UK rules pretty much said I was not allowed to do anything but fall straight down the tube.

The USPA is pretty liberal in what it lets you do, other skydiving bodies are not so liberal and will even restrict and prevent you from doing anything but fall down the tube and do nothing.

Hi,

Freefall by yourself can get boring and might be compared to masturbating. While better than no jumping at all, it's not as good as it can be with a partner. Obviously there are exceptions - your first skysurfs (feet connected to a board) and wing suit flights (like jumping in a straight jacket) can be exciting. Proximity flight as in Robin's link is probably very exciting. Night jumps are good too.

While not exciting, falling with other people and building formations is challenging and fun. That can keep you busy and entertained for decades (you don't have to make your formations lying down on the job - vertical positions are possible, on your back, flying diagonally down instead of straight, with wing suits to help).

Landing small parachutes can be exciting. Landing big parachutes in small areas can be exciting. Landing big parachutes in wide open areas can be challenging and fun to do very accurately but is not exciting.

Flying parachutes in connected formations with other people is exciting.

While not skydiving, the related sport BASE jumping can be much scarier.

I did one static line jump a year for 10 years. Then I did a tandem. Then I focused on becoming licensed. Almost quit AFF halfway through because the gear sucked, my ears hurt, my leg straps were killing me and I thought the instructors just wanted my money.

Went to a different dz and finished AFF in two days.

So what if does get boring? The things you learn can be applied to other activities.

Think of each jump as a stepping stone to the next great experience.

Yeah, it's terribly boring. I wouldn't waste your money on it.

But have you tried bowling? Man, there's nothing like the thrill of rolling a strike!