MrX323

Skydiving boring with time?

OP - bear in mind that this is a forum for skydivers, indeed especially enthusiastic skydivers who, when not jumping, are online talking about jumping. Rarely will people who got bored and quit jumping stay on the forums to tell their story.

Hi,

i would make the skydiving license (those one with 28 jumps) but i am doubt of because i think it will be boring after 5 oder 10 jumps. You can't do a lot in the air ... only turns and so.

If i drive a roller coaster five times, it will be boring for me. Now i don't know if i should spent the money to the license?

Can someone tell me, if it is boring after a few jumps. Please telling me our experience.

Thank you and best Wishes!

I got bored initially after about 15 jumps. Other people who learned around the same time as me are still incredible excited by it and just go up and down, up and down, up and down all day long. For me, the sensation of flight is fun and enjoyable but really no better than some other nice movement like skiing, swimming, cycling, and so on. The cost, at about £1200 per hour as a minimum, just doesn't make sense to me. Some people really enjoy the synchronised-swimming stuff but that doesn't appeal to me much, so I will likely just keep skydiving as an enjoyable and pleasant activity to do once a month or so, just for a bit of fun. Compared to other sports or movement-based activities it's actually extremely limited in terms of what you can do, as well of course as when and where you can do it.

The initial excitement passes after just a few jumps for most people. After a while, you will literally fall asleep on the plane ride up.

Jumping is just like sex.... it's soooo boring after the first few times that almost everyone gives it up. Oh wait... never mind.

Actually it is rather like sex in that there comes a time when you really want to do it and it takes over your mind, then afterwards you "remember" that it's actually kind of a chore and not that great. Until a little while passes and you want to do it again.

So here's an idea: Next time you jump, don't pull until you're not bored any more.

That's the plan.

Although he might sound like a troll, it is not a unique experience this guy is having, as my above post says. I got seriously bored of skydiving. The UK rules pretty much said I was not allowed to do anything but fall straight down the tube.

The USPA is pretty liberal in what it lets you do, other skydiving bodies are not so liberal and will even restrict and prevent you from doing anything but fall down the tube and do nothing.

Yea, anyone in the UK basically gets spit out of their AFF consols and then thinks... "now what?"

FS coaching is available if you have enough force of personality to secure a coach for a jump or two, and it's usually quite expensive. Anything other than solo clock-watching or FS is so many jumps and £'s into the future that it's barely worth thinking about.

I would like to see some figures on retention after AFF - I imagine it must be very, very poor indeed. I see loads of AFF students every time I go, but there are only a handful of club jumpers. I wouldn't be surprised if 90% of AFF graduates pretty much disappear before their B licence.

Compared to other sports or movement-based activities it's actually extremely limited in terms of what you can do,.

:o:o:o maybe that is why your skydiving and your sex are boring.. .lack of imagination...

Fuck, do you think Marco Manna thinks like you ?

Even I can think of plenty of ways to funnel a 2 way exit :D
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Compared to other sports or movement-based activities it's actually extremely limited in terms of what you can do,.

:o:o:o maybe that is why your skydiving and your sex are boring.. .lack of imagination...

Fuck, do you think Marco Manna thinks like you ?

Even I can think of plenty of ways to funnel a 2 way exit :D

Slight variations on the same theme. Compared with many other activities where you can go anywhere, any way you like - skydiving is limited. There are many aspects of the game to promote but it being varied and wide-ranging is not one of them. That's ok, not everything has to be varied with loads of very different possibilities for it to be interesting. For example I enjoy solving certain puzzles over and over again. It’s slightly different every time but pretty much the same. That’s a lot more repetitive than skydiving, for sure, but I can still enjoy it. Like I said, compared with other activities which are centred around moving your body in non-standard ways (often in unique environments, and/or with special equipment), skydiving is slightly towards the limited end of things. There are certainly pursuits with a lot more variety and scope. That doesn’t bother some people, some times. I do plenty of other repetitive and limited things as well, but they’re usually not astronomically expensive.

It’s not a matter of having more “imagination” or what have you – a more imaginative person might be able to think of more new ways to pass time in the sky but he would be able to think of even more things to do with a fundamentally more open and wide-ranging activity.

There’s a lot to be said for skydiving but I always thought it was a bit forced when I read about “the huge range of disciplines” or “unlimited possibilities” and what have you.

RSS does have a point. If I'm skiing, I can use skill to do exciting stuff, to move fast and keep control and maneuver near objects, for quite a few minutes at a time, dozens of times a day. In skydiving, I get to swoop only for a few seconds, a smaller number of times per day. (And plenty of drop zones are putting a stop to much swooping.)

There is some personal preference involved, as skiing (something I used to do only a few times a year) got repetitive and boring for me, yet it isn't like that for many others.

Dude, all our lives we've been trying to get "air", wanting to fly, and that stuff.

Today you can get air, fly, and all that stuff....with just a sack of nylon on your back.

Those from our past would think we are silly/lazy/pathetic,etc for not taking advantage of this incredible opportunity.:|

There are many aspects of the game to promote but it being varied and wide-ranging is not one of them

True. RW, freefly, CRW, wingsuits, instructing and swooping are all pretty much the same. If you've done one skydive in any discipline, you've done everything there is to do in that discipline. There are no new challenges once you've earned an A license.

True. RW, freefly, CRW, wingsuits, instructing and swooping are all pretty much the same. If you've done one skydive in any discipline, you've done everything there is to do in that discipline. There are no new challenges once you've earned an A license.

Yours is a much more extreme opinion - I don't agree with it. Those things are not the same - they're obviously all related and similar. I suppose "pretty much the same" could apply.

I definitely don't agree that doing one skydive of a certain sort means that you've done everything there is to do, or that after an A licence there are no new challenges.

Do you still skydive?

Yours is a much more extreme opinion - I don't agree with it. Those things are not the same - they're obviously all related and similar. I suppose "pretty much the same" could apply.

I definitely don't agree that doing one skydive of a certain sort means that you've done everything there is to do, or that after an A licence there are no new challenges.

Do you still skydive?

It's called sarcasm doll :P

Hey! Look behind you! There's her point, you just missed it. She was being sarcastic, as you were the one who suggested that skydiving was one dimensional.

What's odd is reading your above quote, and comparing it to what you said a couple posts upthread, such as -

Compared with many other activities where you can go anywhere, any way you like - skydiving is limited. There are many aspects of the game to promote but it being varied and wide-ranging is not one of them.

And then there's

a more imaginative person might be able to think of more new ways to pass time in the sky but he would be able to think of even more things to do with a fundamentally more open and wide-ranging activity.

And who could forget

There’s a lot to be said for skydiving but I always thought it was a bit forced when I read about “the huge range of disciplines” or “unlimited possibilities” and what have you.

Quite a stark contrast to what your quote above, eh?

It's called sarcasm doll :P

Hey! Look behind you! There's her point, you just missed it. She was being sarcastic, as you were the one who suggested that skydiving was one dimensional.

Ah right, ok. I've never been sure how to translate "sarcasm". I realise that she kind of means the opposite of what she said, but there are many ways to invert her post. I'll try, does she basicall mean this:

"False. RW, freefly, CRW, wingsuits, instructing and swooping are all very different. If you've done one skydive in any discipline, you've done very little of what there is to do in that discipline. There are many new challenges once you've earned an A license."

Is that right? I wish people would just talk normally, it's quite strange to say the opposite of what you mean.

What's odd is reading your above quote, and comparing it to what you said a couple posts upthread, such as -
***Compared with many other activities where you can go anywhere, any way you like - skydiving is limited. There are many aspects of the game to promote but it being varied and wide-ranging is not one of them.

And then there's

a more imaginative person might be able to think of more new ways to pass time in the sky but he would be able to think of even more things to do with a fundamentally more open and wide-ranging activity.

And who could forget

No, those seem all to agree.

Hi,

i would make the skydiving license (those one with 28 jumps) but i am doubt of because i think it will be boring after 5 oder 10 jumps. You can't do a lot in the air ... only turns and so.

If i drive a roller coaster five times, it will be boring for me. Now i don't know if i should spent the money to the license?

Can someone tell me, if it is boring after a few jumps. Please telling me our experience.

Thank you and best Wishes!

I would save up and spend the money on english and typing classes :P

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Compared with many other activities where you can go anywhere, any way you like - skydiving is limited. There are many aspects of the game to promote but it being varied and wide-ranging is not one of them.

And then there's

And who could forget

No, those seem all to agree.

You are correct, all of the above do agree, and they came from one of your posts. What I was comparing them to was another quote of yours from a later post, which I'll repost here -

See? All of the above quotes from your earlier post seem to indicate that you feel skydiving lacks dimension or a variety of things to persue. Then, in the quote from a later post of yours, you seem to indicate the opposite, that there is a variety of things to do and presue within skydiving.

There is no sarcasm here, you just seem to put forth two opposite opinions on the same issue.

...Do you still skydive?

Woosh! :D

@3,500 skydives, and just last month I took up flying camera ("real" camera - no POV/GoPro - LOL). ...Man, I'm having a BLAST!

OP - As others have already well covered in here - as with ANYTHING else in life - YMMV.
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

You are correct, all of the above do agree, and they came from one of your posts. What I was comparing them to was another quote of yours from a later post, which I'll repost here -

See? All of the above quotes from your earlier post seem to indicate that you feel skydiving lacks dimension or a variety of things to persue. Then, in the quote from a later post of yours, you seem to indicate the opposite, that there is a variety of things to do and presue within skydiving.

There is no sarcasm here, you just seem to put forth two opposite opinions on the same issue.

I don't feel that those are opposite or contradictory opinions at all. Typically people pick one "side" of a discussion and stick to it no matter what, welcoming absurd or exaggerated arguments in their favour even if they're improper or over the top - as skybytch's was. Now I know that it was intentionally like that, but my reply was to disagree with it. If someone seriously suggested that there was no joy in skydiving at all and they'd rather be at work than skydiving, I'd disagree. My opinion is in a certain place, not just on one side or the other of a black & white issue.

If you're bored by it - don't do it. It is that simple.

But don't condemn it as a boring activity just because you can't make it fun for yourself.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

i would make the skydiving license but i am doubt of because i think it will be boring after 5 oder 10 jumps. You can't do a lot in the air ... only turns and so.

In skydiving you can move in three dimensions. In most other sports, you only get two. If you can't think of ways to keep from getting bored with that, then you just need more imagination.

My thought is that you don't have enough jumps to think that jumping will Possibly become boring. You know just enough to think you know a lot of it, when in fact you know only enough to think you know more than you do.

I wonder what this will look like when you put it in your translator. :P

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9