pinkbuddah

Second Tandem and thinking of PFF..

Hey everyone! Great site so far love all of the info.

So question for all of you..I did my first tandem a week ago and absolutely loved it. I did it for a few personal reasons and wasn't sure exactly how it was going to feel and to be honest I was pretty damn scared haha..when my feet left that airplane it was nothing like I ever expected! The rush was incredibly intense but that euphoric feeling of the cold air up there was the thing that's leaving me thinking about this all day everyday. I'm going back for a second tandem in three weeks and can't wait.

My question is because I'm seriously considering taking my PFF course at the DZ 45 minutes from my place but trying to figure out if this is actually for me or if my brain is just on sensory overload from my last jump. Again..I absolutely loved the sensation I got from my tandem but the feeling was extremely overpowering and I'm not sure I would've ever been coherent enough to focus on any details during that time. I was barely able to locate the dropzone even after my instructor pointed it out and I had a hard time getting myself to help steer the canopy because I just wanted to sit there and relax lol

Basically what I'm wondering is what mindset should I go with as I'm going into my next tandem? And what should I focus on? I've got no problem doing a few more to get a better feel for it before PFF but it would get costly quick..I really want to do this jump and feel confident enough to go right into PFF but I'm worried I will still have doubts. Regardless of how I do I'll definitly continue to do tandems but obviously could only afford a few a year lol

Let me know if you guys/gals ever experienced this in your beginnings and if what I'm feeling is normal..I could very well be over thinking this but I enjoyed it so much that I seriously think I would want to get into this sport!

Thanks a million :)

I have only done 66 jumps but the feeling you felt is normal. Maybe do one more tandem and then go solo. You will not regret it. Great fun controlling your own canopy and landing and if you do as instructed its not that hard.

have fun and enjoy !!
I tend to be a bit different. enjoyed my time in the sport or is it an industry these days ??

Sensory overload on your first jump is very normal. It usually goes away on the next one. That's why some DZs insist on a tandem first jump before moving forward.

And while the "rush" tends to become less intense over time, the euphoria doesn't. It actually seems to increase (at least it does for me). That's one reason I keep jumping.
And the wanting to sit there and relax under canopy is pretty typical too. That's why we do high pulls and cross countries.

What mindset? The student mindset.

You should approach the second tandem wanting to learn. Make sure your instructor knows that you aren't looking for a carnival ride.
Make sure you get an instructor who is willing and able to teach. Not all of them are. You may want to tell manifest when you schedule that you are intending to go on with training and that you want an 'Instructional" tandem.

There's a ton of stuff that they can teach you, if they make the effort. A lot of places don't bother because the "student" won't ever come back.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

3 weeks?! I don't know how on earth you'll be able to wait that long ;)

I myself did 2 tandems before starting my course as well and the only thing I regret is spending money on an extra tandem when it could have been spent on a few solos! haha, go straight for the course; if you complete it and don't enjoy skydiving (EXTREMELY doubtful) then you'll still have 10 jumps under your belt, stories to tell your friends, and the best 40 minutes of your life!:)

Hope to jump with you some day
Blue skies :)

"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way." -Alan Watts

Thanks for the replies...really good info I'm feeling a bit better. haha. Getting super pumped about this next jump..talked to my DZ today and told them my intentions with this jump and she was saying they'll put an altimeter on me and show me a lot more before and after the jump...I was pumped about the altimeter I think that'll be cool!

August 26th can't come soon enough!!

Hey!

Thanks for the follow up...unfortunately the jump was cancelled due to gusting winds! Quite a bummer...skies were clear and beautiful so the thought of winds never even crossed my mind on the way to the DZ until we got there.

We re-scheduled for this Thursday (30th) but there's 40% P.O.P with mixed clouds. Weather forecasting in my region is done by waking up and looking out your window so hopefully it'll be nice enough to jump!

Have to head in to work immediately afterwards so that should make for an interesting day at work after my second jump lol

Finally got my second jump in yesterday! Winds have been crazy here the past week so we got cancelled a few times but the guys at the DZ were awesome in squeezing us in their schedule last minute yesterday!

What an amazing feeling the second time around...standing on the wingstrut this time felt incredibly comfortable and I couldn't wait to jump! I wore an altimeter and got to learn a bit about body positioning and my instructor let me deploy our chute which was an awesome feeling.

For some reason I was completly fixated on watching the ground...but was still able to check altitude and deply at the proper alt, so I'm presuming I did ok there.

Question though...both tandems I've done now, and about 6-7 hours later I start to feel very weezy and nauteous..is this normal for the first few jumps? It almost feels like the feeling you get when you've been at the beach for 8 hours straight...just a bit of a headache, kind of sick, and very fatigued..I'd imagine this goes away?

Either way I'm friggin hooked and thanks again for your replies!!

.both tandems I've done now, and about 6-7 hours later I start to feel very weezy and nauteous.

I dunno about that exact timeline, but skydiving students can get pretty wound up with the experience, making it all quite fatiguing later on. Even the more advanced students are sometimes wiped out after a few jumps from the stress & excitement. Make sure you are eating and hydrating adequately, which may not happen when excited. Be aware of whether you are relaxed or not. Being excited is fun but there are times where one needs to be relaxed instead of keyed up all the time.

When I did my A license course I jumped for 9 days straight while camping at the DZ!

I felt fine when I was there and then as soon as I got home and went to bed, I slept for 17 hours straight! Haha

I still get exhausted after a weekend of solid jumping but it's always worth it!
I refuse to accept a mediocre life...

facebook.com/chutefirst
chutefirstapparel.com

I would imagine that would be quite exhausting for 9 days straight! lol

Prior to jumping I would've never thought that skydiving would be a sport that would take so much energy..seeing as I am in good shape and even played university football..but like i said even after one jump I was wiped that night. I'm hoping to get into PFF two weekends from now..and money permitting hopefully I can get level 1 and 2 done..as our season is coming to an end soon!

I see a lot of videos on the net of people having their complete course filmed..do most DZ's film this as a training method or is this something that some people chose to pay for? So far of the two jumps I've done I found during the first one the camera was incredibly distracting

All of your jumps with instructors should be filmed free of charge. This will help with the de-briefing of your jump and finding out what you can improve/what you did right etc. As for your solo jumps there is no way to have them filmed unless you chose to pay for a camera man which is mostly useless in my opinion.

Blue skies:)

"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way." -Alan Watts