stratostar

St. Marys votes to kick off The Jumping place.

Honestly I'm not surprised. I also wouldn't be shocked if they had to answer for THIS
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Honestly I'm not surprised. I also wouldn't be shocked if they had to answer for THIS

This.
I am NOT being loud.
I'm being enthusiastic!

So fuck St. Mary's, move to Statesboro. They used to have a DZ there, and it's a college town. St. Mary's can suck shit much like Dublin did after kicking the St Patricks boogie out.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

So fuck St. Mary's, move to Statesboro. They used to have a DZ there, and it's a college town. St. Mary's can suck shit much like Dublin did after kicking the St Patricks boogie out.

Just off the top of my head, Ohio DZs Parkman, Canton Air Sports, Aerohio, and Start Skydiving, not one of them are at the original airport where they opened.

Didn't Chicagoland move last year or the year before?

The St Pats boogie, and how about a little thing called the WFFC? Not where they started off...

You're right, shit-can the town and take the DZ elsewhere. The location is only a small part of the equation, if you run a good DZ people will drive to see you.

What else is new? Every other week the board is making up new reasons for shutting the place down. This week it’s because Jay Stanford the board president thinks the DZ is too close to a military installation. First off it’s Submarines and not the military. I just finished my 20 years so I'm entitled to say that. Anyway the place has been there since 2006 and they just now came up with that conclusion? Last week wasn’t the first time skydivers landed on the "high security" base. They landed on the softball fields next to the gym, next to the commissary next to the McDonalds. I hardly doubt national security was at risk. In fact the security guys on base were happy to have something to do besides drive around and harass the sailors who double parked their car in front of the barracks. It’s a pissing match between both parties and this is just the latest in a series of thrown punches between the two. I say take the tax revenue some else and hope the BRAC shuts down Kings Bay so St Mary’s as a town will cease to exist.

I left.;) And they called last year and wanted us back.

How'd that work out for them? Noooot Toooo Gooood. :)

So I think it is a shame that some of you post so negatively about a DZ being shut down.....what happened to getting each others backs? I realize that i am a noobie but one of the things that has drawn me to this sport is the camaraderie.... You are quick to point fingers without knowing the whole story...I was actually on the load where the two guys landed on the base and made it back..they thought they were at a different softball field.... And for the record the base was not as upset as the media has made it out to be, the Commission just decided to run with it......Cathy runs a great DZ and I will support her wherever she goes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdBbVEVXvMA&feature=youtu.be

It's all in how you handle it, you want to support a bunch of child like actions, be my guest. If feel no sorrow for those who want to help to bring down on them selfs the actions of airport boards and cities.

You might want to study up on the USPA vs Yazoo City Ms. airport part 16 case and see how those retarded actions of the DZO in his dealings with the airport sponsor, lost his case to the FAA. Then you might have a tad of a clue as to how and why I have a limited to little support for Kathy's current operation and the public actions being displayed.

If your going to cry foul ball, you have play by the rules of the ball game, first!
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

So I think it is a shame that some of you post so negatively about a DZ being shut down.....what happened to getting each others backs? I realize that i am a noobie but one of the things that has drawn me to this sport is the camaraderie.... You are quick to point fingers without knowing the whole story...I was actually on the load where the two guys landed on the base and made it back..they thought they were at a different softball field.... And for the record the base was not as upset as the media has made it out to be, the Commission just decided to run with it......Cathy runs a great DZ and I will support her wherever she goes.

Young grasshopper, stick around the sport a while and open your eyes. I admit, as a young and naive jumper, I hung on every word my DZO spoke, idolized the DZO, praised the DZO to everyone that could hear. Time, experience, and critical thinking skills are crucial in this sport to survive. And that includes reserving judgement (both good and bad) on any DZ until you have a lot of experience on which to base that decision. I don't mean number of jumps. I mean the time spent silently watching what goes on behind the scenes and making your own observations, as well as visiting multiple dropzones and doing the same.

This is not a rip on Cathy or the DZ, I've never been there, never met her, although I can say that my impression based on things such as the video above make me question her maturity (assuming she had something to do with the video, of course). Please don't take it as such. It is only to point out that young jumpers blindly following those that make the first impressions often years later smack themselves upside the head or realize just what a great start they had. It's not a rip on you at all. Just step back and watch for a while. Go to lots of DZs and do the same. Make your own educated decisions.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I especially liked the part of the video (2:06) that said "Threatening Trespassing on Puplic (sic) property is illegal".

I'll try to use that defense when I climb Mt Rushmore to pick George Washington's nose, or do something else silly like base jump in a national park.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

Replying in general.

No matter what anyone feeling are, personal or otherwise. No one should be happy about this. This is just another case of a bunch of good old boys wanting no outsiders playing in their sand box.

The FAAs system to protect equal access is broken and the average businass owner will go broke before making it through that system.

Replying in general.

No matter what anyone feeling are, personal or otherwise. No one should be happy about this. This is just another case of a bunch of good old boys wanting no outsiders playing in their sand box.

The FAAs system to protect equal access is broken and the average businass owner will go broke before making it through that system.

And now the Base Security Office, or PAO, has backed the Board, saying it is a national security issue that can't happen again.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Replying in general.

I am not picking sides in this fight.

Don’t you think that the DZ may have brought this on by their actions? The video definitely showed them in a bad light.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

What else is new? First off it’s Submarines and not the military.

oh yeah, those pesky little submarines, those the ones used for tourist rides to see the reefs? ;)
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.