BravestDog

How many feet would you have to fall to reach 120mph?

Sorry for off topic... the posts above show the great difficulty of the calcs that NASA trajectory guys used to do !!! ( see: JPL, and of course, Space Shuttle and Apollo. ) Those guys were the big boys, the heavy weights !! :)

Uh... used to?!
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Sorry for off topic... the posts above show the great difficulty of the calcs that NASA trajectory guys used to do !!! ( see: JPL, and of course, Space Shuttle and Apollo. ) Those guys were the big boys, the heavy weights !! :)

Uh... used to?!

Actually calculating a trajectory in the atmosphere where air resistance is a factor is rather more difficult than doing it in the absence of an atmosphere.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Hum...what type of suit are you wearing?
Are you jumping with a sky hook or RSL?
Cypres or Argus?
And what did you have for lunch?
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

I have measured the speeds in freefall, and after 12 seconds, I was clocking 150 MPH, and then went into a high speed dive, and clocked 222 MPH. I then returned to my spread eagle ( as you call it) position and once again returned to exactly 150 MPH.

I used a sensitive altimeter, an air speed indicator, and a stopwatch.

I had a directional pitot tube on the side of my helmet, and its open end was pointed ahead of me no matter what position I was in, and the tube from that pitot tube was enclosed in a metal ripcord housing, so as not to get it pinched as I changed body positions.

I believe that a skydiver falls at 150 MPH...NOT 120 MPH.

The entire jump was captured on 16mm film with a camera mounted on a 1/4 inch thick piece of aluminum across the belly mount reserve.

Bill Cole

41.999999 repeating

[B]Make sure to have your towel with you.

let x = 41.999999... repeating

Then 10x = 419.9999999...repeating

so 10x - x = 9x = 378

then x = 378/9 = 42

FIFY.

Had I known I was going to need a towel handy, I wouldn't have a mess all over my keyboard now. You owe me a new one!

41.999999 repeating

[B]Make sure to have your towel with you.

let x = 41.999999... repeating

Then 10x = 419.9999999...repeating

so 10x - x = 9x = 378

then x = 378/9 = 42

FIFY. Had I known I was going to need a towel handy, I wouldn't have a mess all over my keyboard now. You owe me a new one!

Sheesh.

You should always have a towel handy.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

120 mph is, say, the terminal speed and is reached in 12 second when falling on belly. This makes about 1483 ft according the books.
When I was trying a new DBag (the MagBag), I tried to figure out the distance fallen in 7 seconds. Here is the chart I have been using (12 seconds falling on belly makes a speed of 120 mph (terminal speed) (see the document)). I also found one of the best fit mathematical expressions to match the known pairs of coordinates. You can see the function at the top left of the chart. Remember that you are falling into the air and as the gravity pulls you down faster and faster, there is more and more aerodynamical force on the surface of your body opposing to the force of gravity. That means the downward acceleration decreases and when the weight of your body (force of gravity) equals the upward aerodynamic force due to the relative wind, there is no more acceleration.
On the chart you see the pair of coordinates (7, 646.1), this means that after 7 seconds, the distance fallen is 646.1 ft.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

1. Supposed you jumped off of a building, bridge, cliff, balloon...how many feet would you have to fall before you reach 120mph?

Um the same amount of time it takes for an ambulance chasing scumbag to start the calls. This is crap any SKYDIVER knows (or should lol)

Can we have admin kick or ban a user guys? Or is that not gonna happen?
I am an asshole, but I am honest