JP733

Favorite CA DZs?!?!

Hi everybody!

New to the world of skydiving here. It's been almost a year and I have 25 jumps under my belt!

Where are your favorite places to jump in CA? Favorite companies? I would love to experience new trusted DZs and who best to ask but my fellow jumpers?!

Thanks for all you input!

Hi everybody!

New to the world of skydiving here. It's been almost a year and I have 25 jumps under my belt!

Where are your favorite places to jump in CA? Favorite companies? I would love to experience new trusted DZs and who best to ask but my fellow jumpers?!

Thanks for all you input!

Where in California?

It's a pretty big place physically and metaphorically - as of 2011 it would have ranked eighth between Italy and Spain if it were a country.

Once you need to travel between opposite ends other states may be closer. From San Diego it may be 5.5 hours to Eloy, AZ by car versus 8 to Byron, CA. Especially if you're willing to fly.

The usual distinction is North and South; although SF Bay Area (near the middle), LA/San Diego (at the south end, although it's faster to get to Mexico than LA from San Diego), and "nearly Oregon" are a better breakup. Denizens make further distinctions, like North and South Bay (as in San Francisco) with a few hours between the two depending on specifics and traffic.

Name the nearest major city to where you plan on being for the most relevant answers.

I started jumping at Bay Area Skydiving in NorCal and I have jumped at Skydance, Lodi, and Lake Tahoe (no longer in operation). Now living in SoCal and I jump at both Perris & Elsinore. Both are solid dropzones, things I like about Perris is they have a swimming pool, wind tunnel, and I love jumping out of the Skyvan. Elsinore is cool since I can bring my dirt bike and ride next door at the motorsports complex. A little further south a new dropzone just opened up in Oceanside. U need to have a c-license and they DON'T allow wingsuits. Then u have Skydive San Diego at the bottom of California. I haven't jumped SD yet and hear it's a cool DZ. If u are going to be in NorCal, then go with Lodi. U can't beat $15 jump tickets. Bay Area Skydiving get blown out due to the winds.

It's about a 6 hour drive from SoCal to NorCal, might be a hair longer depending on where u are going. It's about 386 miles if I remember correctly.

I live just south of LAX airport and it takes me about an hour and a half to get to either Perris, Elsinore, or Oceanside. San Diego is over a 2 hour drive. Traffic sucks down here so if u are traveling in prime-time then it'll take longer.

Some pluses of various DZ's:

Otay (San Diego) - One of the prettiest DZ's around. Next to a lake at the foot of the Otay hills. Mostly freeflying and swooping.

Perris - Big, cool aircraft (skyvans) good organizers, lots going on most weekends, many bigways. Restaurant and bar.

Elsinore - Very fun people, good airplanes.

Oceanside - Small, great views, but need a C license or higher. PAC most days.

Nobody mentioned Cloverdale?

It's the only one I've ever been to, so I can't compare, being newer than ANYBODY...but I still love it there :) It's beautiful, right next to Lake Sonoma, and I can see from the ocean to the Sierra Nevada mountains while I fly. Santa Rosa has a small commercial airport that sees commuter passengers from SoCal every day, and it's just 20 minutes from that dz.

Plus, I'm your tasting consultant if you venture to wine country ;)
I don't need a parachute to fly...unless i want to fly twice.

nobody with any comments on Lodi? Pluses? Minuses?

B|

Oh, you master baiter. It's not as if you can't do search and find a whole bunch of opinions on Lodi.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

nobody with any comments on Lodi? Pluses? Minuses?

B|

Oh, you master baiter. It's not as if you can't do search and find a whole bunch of opinions on Lodi.

well obviously I was banking on somebody as clever as you NOT coming in to the thread and ruining the fun :ph34r:

At Lodi, Parachute Center DZ, located at 35 minutes driving South from Sacramento CA (on highway 99), you will pay 15$ a jump at 12500 Ft. This is seemingly the cheapest place on Earth for jumping. Better yet, if you buy 50 tickets, you will only pay 13 $ each (not transferable). If you are a low altitude jumper, the ticket is 5$ for 5000 ft. This is certainly the favorite place for your budget.:$

Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

At Lodi, Parachute Center DZ, located at 35 minutes driving South from Sacramento CA (on highway 99), you will pay 15$ a jump at 12500 Ft. This is seemingly the cheapest place on Earth for jumping. Better yet, if you buy 50 tickets, you will only pay 13 $ each (not transferable). If you are a low altitude jumper, the ticket is 5$ for 5000 ft. This is certainly the favorite place for your budget.:$

Davis has tickets for $18 right now. The extra 3 bucks is more than worth it for peace of mind. Just sayin. :)
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)