borg2050

Opinions wanted about a 2-step RSL procedure

understand your point. Sometimes correct information in the wrong hands can be dangerous. But here's my question (which may have been answered in the other thread): had she ever logged on to the safety and training forum of dropzone.com? Where did she get the idea in her head that cutting away could possibly work in that situation? Was she a dumbass?

Where did she get that bit of info? From folks like you. You have 500 jumps and to someone with <100 thats a bunch. So she hears you say, "My reserve handle is a backup to my RSL" at the bonfire at the DZ one night, and she takes them to heart.

Its AMAZING what people hear from the same conversation. If she is the type of person who is afraid she might screw up and she hears that the RSL is the PRIMARY....Well she will attach to that since it eases her fears. "Hell, all I have to do is pull one handle, not two."

Was she a dumbass? I doubt it. Did she tell herself what she need to hear about how safe this is to jump? YES. Did others tell her how safe it is due to these devices? Most likely.

Are we doing her a favor by telling her about these devices instead of teaching her to rely only on herself? I don't think so.

What gets taught at a first jump course is a different story. I can assure you I'd never call a reserve handle a backup in that sort of setting.

Does not matter, you have 500 jumps and to them are experienced. Most students learn bad habits AFTER the FJC, not in it. How many people learn to pull low, hook turn ect in the FJC?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

They might if you keep repeating that they should read it that way

If they read anything else in the same post they will see the entire post is against that very thing.

Isn't this a violation of the principle: tell people what they should do, not what they shouldn't. The latter puts bad ideas in their minds they may not have had prior.

Worse than just relying on the RSL or AAD? Saying something is dumb is not encouraging it.

But it is clear that there are some that should not jump. They will get the wrong idea no matter what is said.

But that does not mean we should encourage it.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

then its up to the AAD or the ground to stop them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What a brilliant line - may I use it as my own???

Standard rules state you must cite to source..Sorry.:P

This discussion is filled with a plethora of GOOD arguments. Throughout this discussion, I have noticed a trend. No matter how bad the RSL could possibly be, it seems that everyone agrees that people with jump numbers similar to mine should use the RSL. You may not use one, but you trust it with the life of your wife. I think that says something. Not to mention the very reason they were created: jumpers managed to cut away...but not pull the reserve. I don't know why that happens, and I really don't know how it happens to experts. As for now, I'm going to use the RSL until I can get the skyhook system.

I am VERY thankful to ALL of the posters of this thread. I feel that DZ.com is a great resource and gateway to speaking with the experts of the sport.

That is the whole point, get differing views and why people think the way they do, then make a more educated choice for yourself. I'm glad you used this thread to that end. Good job.

Derek

then its up to the AAD or the ground to stop them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What a brilliant line - may I use it as my own???

Standard rules state you must cite to source..Sorry.:P

Deal, Ron told me that "..." - they say that flattery is being copied, there are many more things I have learned from you and others here too many to cite the originators but I will try to give props like "I heard from some skydiver somewhere" -

Fact is I am just a parrot anyway, I have made nothing up in life except the joke about being abducted and analy probed by an alien - too bad it was my Uncle Juan!

This discussion is filled with a plethora of GOOD arguments. Throughout this discussion, I have noticed a trend. No matter how bad the RSL could possibly be, it seems that everyone agrees that people with jump numbers similar to mine should use the RSL. You may not use one, but you trust it with the life of your wife. I think that says something. Not to mention the very reason they were created: jumpers managed to cut away...but not pull the reserve. I don't know why that happens, and I really don't know how it happens to experts. As for now, I'm going to use the RSL until I can get the skyhook system.

I am VERY thankful to ALL of the posters of this thread. I feel that DZ.com is a great resource and gateway to speaking with the experts of the sport.

That is the whole point, get differing views and why people think the way they do, then make a more educated choice for yourself. I'm glad you used this thread to that end. Good job.

Derek

Ditto, very good job.
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

Fact is I am just a parrot anyway, I have made nothing up in life except the joke about being abducted and analy probed by an alien - too bad it was my Uncle Juan!

Bwahahahaa! :D Dude, where was I for that? :D

So the thread be simmerin' down now. Glad we can all play nice. lol

Borg! Happy you opened the can of worms. Glad it worked out for you and you can now come to a very good informed decision.

Blue Skies

Nick

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!