helios2

USPA for non-US jumper

So, I am British and the majority of my jumps have been done in the UK. However I am relocating to Dubai around November time for a couple of years. I have jumped there before as a visiting jumper with my BPA licence. However as I Will be living there full time I am curious about what the procedure is for membership of a governing body,

I have heard that USPA membership is only valid outside of the USA if you are a US resident, or something like that??

As I dont intend to be jumping back in the UK at all over the time I am living away I don't want to be forking out for the expensive membership. Does anyone know what all the expats do at Skydive dubai or anywhere else which follows USPA guidelines but is not in the USA??

I would also ideally like my membership of whatever organisation to be valid in Europe and the US as I do a jumping trip to each every year, but I don't mind paying temp USPA membership if necessary.

I suggest you contact the USPA membership department. My experience has always been positive. Certainly the US accepted my USPA membership without a problem (think squeak had the same experience).

Spain would have accepted my USPA membership (cancelled my trip to Empubravia) but spoke to them first.

Just be aware of temporary membership restrictions. For example here in Australia, you are only allowed a short term membership once or twice a year.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Since you are a Britt, why not considering becoming a member of the Canadian Sport Parachuting Association (CSPA). You would have a 3 millions dollars insurance good world wide. After all Canada is part of the Commonwealth.;)

Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.