FlyingRhenquest

Ok So... Atmonauti?

Ok, so I'm trying to figure out this atmonauti thing from a bunch of vague videos claiming to be that, a rather vague picture of a guy at a 45 degree angle and a couple of articles that don't seem vague but really don't provide a whole lot of detail either.

Most of the videos where I see it being done are combining elements of freeflying with it. I have a feeling most of the people in those videos are trained professionals and are making it look easier than it really is. I have to wonder if you don't just fly like that once you're an uber-freeflyer or something. The atmonauti people claim it's easy and you can get started almost immediately, though.

I don't suppose that anyone who actually does it has put anything like a tutorial "Getting Started" type video up on youtube or anything?

For some reason I feel like if the word "Atmonauti" comes out of my mouth at my dropzone, someone will hit me with a rake or something.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

No body does it in the US.

Nope. They don't .

They Anglefly instead. There was a short writeup on it in the front of Parachutist this month.

Steep dive/track without pretending that they get lift because of the shape of the container on their back.
Without pretending that they can approach wingsuit performance.
Without all the silly names.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Bullshit, bucket loads of Bullshit:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
There's a bunch of people who are caught up in the name and whether or not it's a "discipline", all of that is useless crap.

Flying Atmo is fun and can be done by relatively low time jumpers, it would help greatly if you had someone who can already fly the position show you, as Video learning is difficult.
You can fly quite tight formations with it, and as you have seen with the "High end" flyers it can get very dynamic.
See if you can get to a DZ where some folks are flying Atmo already, you'll find it not to hard to begin with.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Flying Atmo is fun and can be done by relatively low time jumpers, it would help greatly if you had someone who can already fly the position show you, as Video learning is difficult.
You can fly quite tight formations with it, and as you have seen with the "High end" flyers it can get very dynamic.
See if you can get to a DZ where some folks are flying Atmo already, you'll find it not to hard to begin with.

Well see that's what I'm on about! And I suspect many people who don't really see a difference between this and tracking, for that matter! It doesn't seem so common in the USA, so there's no one to tell us how to do it, and all we have to go on are some videos where you really can't see what they're doing or how it's different.

I'm either doing it when I'm tracking at an angle, or I'm not, and the folks who claim the do it disagree with the ones who claim they don't on that point.

I've found some great videos for freeflying on youtube, that cover basic body positions, transitions and the skill level you should be at to approach that stuff. Given the number of experienced fliers who seem to be doing atmonauti in places other than the USA, I was really quite surprised to find so little additional information on it.

I have two tools in my toolbox right now, belly flying and tracking. I'm just keeping an eye out to add more. From what I hear, no one can even reach consensus on whether at that level atmonauti is even something I should be looking at. The atmonauti people claim it's easy and even a newbie can learn to do it. Everyone else claims it's either not really all that or that it's something you should have some freeflying skills before attempting.

I'm willing to have an open mind about stuff, but it seems I'll have to meet someone who actually does it and ask them to show me how it's done before I can really find out for myself. So I guess I can ask around my home dropzone and risk being whacked with a rake...
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Atmonauti fancy name for tracking...:P

Spoken by someone who probably cant do either.

It IS tracking, in that you translate ACROSS the sky, so yes this is tracking, but it a fair bit different to standard flat tracking,

A shallow Atmo track (there you go dick wads, both ppl can be happy) is reasonably easybut as with most things the degree of difficulty can increase from there.

Get to Elsinore or SDC or The Ranch I know all those DZ have decent Atmo fliers.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

haha you're funny go travel across the country to do a steep track with some people.

Well if you live in the middle of bum fuck no-where, you may well have to travel to improve your scope of whats possible.;) And c'mon traveling in your country is fucking dirt cheap.
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

haha you're funny go travel across the country to do a steep track with some people.

Well if you live in the middle of bum fuck no-where, you may well have to travel to improve your scope of whats possible.;) And c'mon traveling in your country is fucking dirt cheap.
OK I will add at least 2 more, Eloy AZ and Sebastian FL.
Now if the guy says he needs to travel across the country, we will be able to confirm that he lives in Bumfuck, Nowhere :D
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Spoken by someone who probably cant do either.

It IS tracking, in that you translate ACROSS the sky, so yes this is tracking, but it a fair bit different to standard flat tracking,

like I said, fancy name for TRACKING
:P:D:D:D
why is it always the ones with the biggest mouths have the least knowledge and experience?
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

not really, I would say it is a form of horizontal translation.

When you bellyfly or sitfly or whateverfly, and you don't have a good position, would you say that you backtrack ? or you backslide ?
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

at least if you want to call it tracking, call it FreeTracking (I should copyright this one)

Well since we are now taking grips and changing the formations shape, I think it needs to be called AFS (Atmo Formatuion Skydiving.. AtmoRel):ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

OK I will add at least 2 more, Eloy AZ and Sebastian FL.
Now if the guy says he needs to travel across the country, we will be able to confirm that he lives in Bumfuck, Nowhere :D

this... and while its similar to tracking I prefer to call it flocking... the entire point being to stay together with the group no matter what "flying attitude" you are in.

Bullshit, bucket loads of Bullshit:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
There's a bunch of people who are caught up in the name and whether or not it's a "discipline", all of that is useless crap.

Ok, people that can't freefly do it....by default.

at least if you want to call it tracking, call it FreeTracking (I should copyright this one)

Well since we are now taking grips and changing the formations shape, I think it needs to be called AFS (Atmo Formatuion Skydiving.. AtmoRel):ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Track'mo :P
Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)