celayne

Obama Plan Calls for $100 ATC Fee

...The good news is that most North American DZs fly in uncontrolled (Class G) airspace, with no requirement to talk with ATC.

There may be nor requirement to talk to them but isn't it better to let the ATC know when a load of jumpers are going up so they can inform any traffic?

...The good news is that most North American DZs fly in uncontrolled (Class G) airspace, with no requirement to talk with ATC.

There may be nor requirement to talk to them but isn't it better to let the ATC know when a load of jumpers are going up so they can inform any traffic?

It is common courtesy to announce intentions (e.g. dropping jumpers) even in un-controlled airspace over small, privately-owned airstrips.

What did I miss? Unless something has changed, the pilot still has an ATC notification requirement in uncontrolled airspace before dropping jumpers.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

We were given plenty of notice.
As a community, we pretty much suck at getting involved in saving our own sport.

The user fee proposal long precedes Obama.

I don't think it's a done deal yet.

True enough,

Two questions:

1) Does the amount of the proposed fee-per-contact also pre-date Obama?

2) What is the definition of "ATC contact?" Is it $100 per flight -- or $100 each time you key the mike on a flight?

B|
SCR-6933 / SCS-3463 / D-5533 / BASE 44 / CCS-37 / 82d Airborne (Ret.)

"The beginning of wisdom is to first call things by their right names."

What did I miss? Unless something has changed, the pilot still has an ATC notification requirement in uncontrolled airspace before dropping jumpers.

You missed the part in Part 105 that says notification only needs to be made if jumping in or into controlled airspace. Jumps made in Class G (uncontrolled) airspace don't require ATC notification.
It's all been said before, no sense repeating it here.

Akers specifically referred to uncontrolled airspace in his post. Actually, there are large areas of Class G airspace that go all the way to 14,500 ft. and can easily be seen on sectional charts.

:S

Yes, there are- in mountainous terrain. Completely irrelevant. The point is, I can't think of any dropzone in the U.S. that conducts normal operations entirely within Class G airspace because Class G airspace is almost all low-altitude (speaking in AGL).

Ergo, dropzones operate in controlled airspace (mostly Class E) and have an obligation to be in contact with ATC.

My post was about uncontrolled airspace, what part of what I said did you not understand?

Akers said notification was necessary in uncontrolled airspace, I said it wasn't. Why are you arguing about controlled airspace?

You missed the part in Part 105 that says notification only needs to be made if jumping in or into controlled airspace. Jumps made in Class G (uncontrolled) airspace don't require ATC notification.

Cool.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

My post was about uncontrolled airspace, what part of what I said did you not understand?

Akers said notification was necessary in uncontrolled airspace, I said it wasn't. Why are you arguing about controlled airspace?

Good grief. I'm not arguing about anything. I was simply trying to point out that it's only "not necessary" because in most (all?) cases, it's not possible to fly a load of jumpers and remain within Class G (uncontrolled) airspace the entire time. ;)

Good grief. I'm not arguing about anything. I was simply trying to point out that it's only "not necessary" because in most (all?) cases, it's not possible to fly a load of jumpers and remain within Class G (uncontrolled) airspace the entire time. ;)

Static line 'em!!!!