Namowal

Downtime (and how to use it effectively)

Thanks to two broken bones, I'm stuck on the sidelines for a few months (maybe more). Boo. Before my accident I did everything I could to improve my skills, including getting in several jumps each week. Now that I can't jump for awhile, is there anything constructive I can do in the meantime that would help? Obviously there's no substitute for real jumps (and I'll be hitting the tunnel once I'm cleared to do so,) but is there anything else I should or could be doing?
I know I'm not the only jumper here who had to wait out an injury or two... B|
My blog with the skydiving duck cartoons.

Pull out your SIM and re-read that. Read the advanced sections that you might have not gotten to as a student.

Buy (or borrow) a copy of The Parachute & Its Pilot and read that.

Borrow a copy of the USPA IRM and read that. Not sure if you're ever interested in getting an instructional rating, but there's some interesting reading in there, either way. (That's probably one to borrow since if you do go for a rating a year or two or more from now, you'll want a current version of the book).

But most of all, focus on your rehab and getting strong & healthy because that will help you the most when you come back. B|

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Pull out your SIM and re-read that. Read the advanced sections that you might have not gotten to as a student.

Buy (or borrow) a copy of The Parachute & Its Pilot and read that.

Borrow a copy of the USPA IRM and read that. Not sure if you're ever interested in getting an instructional rating, but there's some interesting reading in there, either way. (That's probably one to borrow since if you do go for a rating a year or two or more from now, you'll want a current version of the book).

But most of all, focus on your rehab and getting strong & healthy because that will help you the most when you come back. B|

Good ideas! Thanks. :)
My blog with the skydiving duck cartoons.

About 4 years ago I broke my ankle, foot, and leg and was non-weight bearing for 4-5 months. I ended up picking up guitar, volunteered at an Improv comedy club, took improv lessons, volunteered at the canoe shop, got a job picking stitches in a rigging loft and even traveled a bit on crutches.

Enjoy the time, take the time to make new friends, learn a new hobby and seize the moment!

Although just starting into the sport and not having much experience with training in the sport, I do have a huge amount of experience (unfortunately) with injuries. I have have 4 total reconstruction surgeries on the right knee, one shoulder dislocation with surgery, one broken collar bone, and a broken neck with 2 fused levels now.

So, what I can tell you is this...on the first surgery, I got depressed and sat for 6 months doing nothing. On the second I drank for 6 months. On the third, I tried stand up comedy. LOVED IT! do it all the time now. Short of the story is this, do something outside your comfort zone much like I imagine jumping was your first time. It will make the time fly by and you will be back flying before you know it. Good luck with the rehab.

When you feel better and can drive and sit around without being in discomfort come down to Oceanside. Hang out for a day and go out to the LZ in our shuttle van. We'll spend the day watching parachutes. I'll point out the good stuff and the iffy stuff. You can help manifest and answer the phone. Or just sit and draw some cartoons:)Just hang out and feel a part of the action.

When you feel better and can drive and sit around without being in discomfort come down to Oceanside. Hang out for a day and go out to the LZ in our shuttle van. We'll spend the day watching parachutes. I'll point out the good stuff and the iffy stuff. You can help manifest and answer the phone. Or just sit and draw some cartoons:)Just hang out and feel a part of the action.

Take him up on this. You won't regret it. :)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Hi,

I sure am sorry to hear about your injury. Over the years I have accumulated more than my fair share of broken bones. I want to encourage you to really put your heart and soul into your rehab.

There is going to be a fair period of time where you are mobile but not cleared to jump and there a number of things you could do at the DZ.

You could learn to be a packer, or even a rigger but at the very least you could become best friends with the riggers.

You could do is video people's landings and review the with a canopy coach. There is a lot of things you will learn about canopy flight.

You could sit in on the AAF class and maybe learn how to teach them.

You could learn video editing for tandems.

In the mean time take it easy and heal fast

That's an awesome and very generous opportunity Jen, Take Grimmie up on it. you wont be disappointed.:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

and here I was tempted to be the asshole and ask if there are any bowling books available and if you can wear bowling shoes yet.....

You are so bad! Namowal, I will spank him for you for that remark! >:(
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon