Alex89

Problems with some staff at a DZ?

Hopefully this is the right thread to post in...

Have any of you guys had any problems with any staff from a DZ you went to? I went to Skydive Big Sky in Innisfail, AB just a few weeks ago, for my first jump ever (Now I am HOOKED!). My instructor was super awesome, kept me calm and just made the experience absolutely amazing! But the lady receptionist there was super mean :( We didn't really care at that time, but we were eager to come back and do more jumps!

We gathered alot more people this time, there is a group for about 10 of us who are 100% in! Also me and my friend (who jumped with me the first time) wanted to do the course for a solo jump because we want to get our AFF so we can jump for cheap. We had a lot of questions to make sure we can do that while our friends do tandem that same day. My friend called, and that same receptionist told her she didn't have time to answer our questions and that we should just look online, which we did prior to calling, but didn't find any answers we were looking for. She sounded like she was annoyed, but maybe they make too much money so groups of 10 are nothing to them...Also me and my friend are Russian, lived in Canada most of our lives, but we still have the accent, and the lady said that "we need to know and speak English to be able to do the solo course" which I find extremely ignorant and offensive, just plain rude.

Anyways we are losing our interest in going to jump at Skydive Big Sky again, either book our jumps with a different person other than the receptionist, or if you guys have any suggestions about other good DZ around Calgary, that would be great :-)

If your avatar picture is the "real" you, then you are HOT -- and if the receptionist is NOT --- well, then, that may be part of your problem!

But really, if the point person for any business is an ***hole to customers (regardless of hotness), the owner should know about it -- and yes, maybe you misinterpreted her conduct some, but the fact that you registered on this forum and sought guidance suggests that this was way more than an isolated-having-a-bad-day experience.

So before you go anywhere else, either call and talk to the owner, or at least talk with your "awesome" instructor and see what he thinks of the whole deal.

Bottom line is the bottom line: He loses money too when a nasty customer service person chases away business, so both he and the owner may be happy enough that you cared enough to tell them that they'll give you an extra discount or something when you bring your group out.

Finally, welcome to the club. Hope you stick with it. Thoughtful hot chicks rock!

B|
SCR-6933 / SCS-3463 / D-5533 / BASE 44 / CCS-37 / 82d Airborne (Ret.)

"The beginning of wisdom is to first call things by their right names."

...It was very nice to receive some very nice messages from the DZ so they are good people...Just sucks about the receptionist.

If you had a good experience jumping at the DZ, don't let a bad experience on the phone turn you away. As others have mentioned, get in touch with the drop zone owner, and tell him about your experience, chances are you'll get a much different response than your last phone call. You can send a private message on this site to the instructor from the DZ who posted the apology, and see if they can give the direct contact info for the DZO, maybe even an email address, so you don't have to call the office and deal with the 'problem' again.

Beyond that, the answers to all your questions are 'yes'. Everyone can jump the same day, and everyone in your group can get an outside video if they want.

Any number of you can take the class to jump solo, however, that class takes all day. Either rest of your group will have to wait around all day, or you'll have to come in two groups. Anyone taking the class would need to show up first thing in the morning, and then the tandems should come in the mid-afternoon. This way the tandems can jump, and by the time they're done, the solo jumpers will be ready to go. The other nice part about that plan is that everyone is there and jumped at the end of the day, so you can all hang out at the DZ after hours and mingle with the staff and other jumpers.

*** Any number of you can take the class to jump solo, however, that class takes all day. Either rest of your group will have to wait around all day, or you'll have to come in two groups. Anyone taking the class would need to show up first thing in the morning, and then the tandems should come in the mid-afternoon. This way the tandems can jump, and by the time they're done, the solo jumpers will be ready to go. The other nice part about that plan is that everyone is there and jumped at the end of the day, so you can all hang out at the DZ after hours and mingle with the staff and other jumpers.

One point of reality though - I am not quite sure about canada, but the weather limits in the USA for tandems and solo students can be quite different, so the tandems may still fly and the solo students be stuck on the ground due to winds.
Sucks, but it's a daily reality.

One point of reality though - I am not quite sure about canada, but the weather limits in the USA for tandems and solo students can be quite different, so the tandems may still fly and the solo students be stuck on the ground due to winds.

True, and I thinks that's the reality all over the world. Based on the skill of the TI and lack of skill on the part of a student, the tandem will be able to fly in much diferent wind conditions.

I made my comments based on 'normal' operation of the DZ. Good weather, plane running well, plenty of staff on hand, etc.

Any number of you can take the class to jump solo, however, that class takes all day. Either rest of your group will have to wait around all day, or you'll have to come in two groups. Anyone taking the class would need to show up first thing in the morning, and then the tandems should come in the mid-afternoon. This way the tandems can jump, and by the time they're done, the solo jumpers will be ready to go. The other nice part about that plan is that everyone is there and jumped at the end of the day, so you can all hang out at the DZ after hours and mingle with the staff and other jumpers.

Another way to do that is to have the solo jumpers take the class one day and then come back to actually make the jump at the same time as the tandems (esp. if they want to jump in the AM). I had a friend who did this because she wanted to jump w/ other friends who were coming for Tandems.

Anyway, I simply wouldn't jump at a place where I was treated rudely (not just a little brusquely). No reason to tolerate that if there are other choices.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

When you put down the deposit the DZ can start getting the staffing together. After your deposit they begin asking Tandem Masters, Video, Packers to give up something (kids soccer game, paint spare bedroom, fix snowblower) things they had to do that day so you and your friends are taken care of. Most DZs will do their best to give you the best service and this equals efficiency for them. More Tandems + video on a plane is better for them and they can get you guys in and out smooth and happy. I know that You have 10 for sure but the person behind the phone has heard this before and 95% of the time the person calling for the group of 10 do not even have 3. I wish I could afford a professional tele-marketer at $200 per tandem but then I would be a skyride. So at DZs you get Skydivers or someone willing to put up will skydivers as staff. Still let your dollar walk to where you feel best but remember that the DZ that promises you everything with a great price needs the money. The airplanes and gear actually need the money. The DZ that says I dont need your $2000 this bad when dealing with you on the phone is probably the safest. Large groups should do Static line. That is the best group event, team building skydive. Easier on DZs also. Tandems are for the group of 2s that are in a hurry.

I simply wouldn't jump at a place where I was treated rudely (not just a little brusquely). No reason to tolerate that if there are other choices.

I hear you, but I would also suggest that one single incident of poor treatment over the phone by an office worker should not neccesarily blacklist the entire DZ/staff.

When dealing with a single person/incident, there's a chance that it was a one-time thing, or that the person has been getting worse and worse over time. In either case, without appealing to a higher power (the DZO) there's no way to know for sure if this is accepted behavior, or something the DZO was unaware of. In reality, that's the only way to get the info to the DZO, is for someone to complain. Otherwise, if everyone just hangs up and goes elsewhere, the DZO may never know the cause.

Given that the OP had jumped there before and gave a great review of her experience with the everyone on that trip, it's worth directly contacting the DZO and seeing what he has to say.

Based on the skill of the TI and lack of skill on the part of a student, the tandem will be able to fly in much diferent wind conditions.

(edited for ya) Based on how much money is sitting on the couch, the tandems will fly in much different wind conditions.

Cuz skill of the instructor doesn't mean a thing to a DZO when there is money sitting on the couch. You got the rating, go do the jump or go work elsewhere.

If your avatar picture is the "real" you, then you are HOT -- and if the receptionist is NOT --- well, then, that may be part of your problem!

But really, if the point person for any business is an ***hole to customers (regardless of hotness), the owner should know about it -- and yes, maybe you misinterpreted her conduct some, but the fact that you registered on this forum and sought guidance suggests that this was way more than an isolated-having-a-bad-day experience.

So before you go anywhere else, either call and talk to the owner, or at least talk with your "awesome" instructor and see what he thinks of the whole deal.

Bottom line is the bottom line: He loses money too when a nasty customer service person chases away business, so both he and the owner may be happy enough that you cared enough to tell them that they'll give you an extra discount or something when you bring your group out.

Finally, welcome to the club. Hope you stick with it. Thoughtful hot chicks rock!

B|

Hahaha yes that's me thank you very much! Highly doubt that was the case, I don't think they would remember us though XD

But they have 2 guys that are camera guys on site, so don't think having a camera guy for all of us would be possible...I'm saying screw it, booking for all of us to do tandem (me and my friend again) and then coming back in spring to do the solo course now.. Hahaha thanks for all your input and info! :D
I LOVE! SKYDIVING!!!!

Hi Alex, I also work at SBS. Right off the bat let me just apologize... really there is nothing I can say to excuse the poor service that you received. Amazingly, it seems that you might be willing to give us another shot, so in response to your last observation that only 2 camera flyers worked there let me assure you that it's not the case. On that day likely only 2 were dedicated to filming tandems but it is possible to round up as many as needed. Keep in mind though that the plane will only fit 10 jumpers so at most only 3 tandems with an outside camera man can go at one time. Anyway, my point is that we will do our best to make your next jump as good as it can be. I certainly understand your reluctance to deal with 'her' again though. Maybe contact the instructor you had via facebook? Having a friendly familiar face to deal with should be an improvement from your last experience:)

...Maybe contact the instructor you had via facebook? Having a friendly familiar face to deal with should be an improvement from your last experience:)

Alex...this raises a good point. If you are going to go back to this DZ, just avoid dealing with the manifest girl...let your instructor do it for you. You should be able to get away with just having to pay the money and that's it...the instructor could do the scheduling and all.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

But they have 2 guys that are camera guys on site, so don't think having a camera guy for all of us would be possible...I'm saying screw it, booking for all of us to do tandem (me and my friend again) and then coming back in spring to do the solo course now.. Hahaha thanks for all your input and info! :D

Come to our DZ. We have a twin otter, lots of camera flyers and quite a few Russian jumpers. We also have a ton of gorgeous women who jump at our DZ. You and your friends would fit right in. :)
skydive101.com

oh my, this conversation is winding up like crazy... I do appreciate the enthusiasm, really.

well she did tell me on the phone that there are only 2 cameramen and it wouldn't have worked out or would ve taken a lot of time

All the instructors were amazing indeed (and Ryan I think I jumped last time with u), I wouldn't care talking to her again to book just because you guys care so much... but at this point we booked with the others already

but maybe we ll come back in Spring for the AFF training ;)

Hi Alex, I also work at SBS. Right off the bat let me just apologize... really there is nothing I can say to excuse the poor service that you received. Amazingly, it seems that you might be willing to give us another shot, so in response to your last observation that only 2 camera flyers worked there let me assure you that it's not the case. On that day likely only 2 were dedicated to filming tandems but it is possible to round up as many as needed. Keep in mind though that the plane will only fit 10 jumpers so at most only 3 tandems with an outside camera man can go at one time. Anyway, my point is that we will do our best to make your next jump as good as it can be. I certainly understand your reluctance to deal with 'her' again though. Maybe contact the instructor you had via facebook? Having a friendly familiar face to deal with should be an improvement from your last experience:)

My instructor was Jeff...I don't know his fb, but I would def do that....maybe if we can do solo courses could we book through you guys?

But yes majority of people wanted to do another location :( so we will do the solo jump courses at Skydive Big Sky for sure...and no maybes Mia, we are def going back there now for SURE!!!!! :P

Hahaha Thank you thank you! I'll def jump at different DZs around, once I get my courses done :)
I LOVE! SKYDIVING!!!!

Well it looks like this woman has cost your DZ a bit of custom. It seems everyone is in agreement about her attitude, What I can't understand is why she is allowed to carry on like this, its obvious her attitude is not a one off thing.

Does she have some special immunity or something?.

I hope she is told in no uncertain terms what has happened here. One episode may be excusable, with a warning, but repeat behaviour deserves nothing less than the order of the boot.

I'd be very pissed off if I was the boss.....
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

Not saying this is the case here but quite often, the boss and the manifest person are...well, let's say, an item. There are many DZs where that IS the case.

When the boss and the manifest girl are hooked up, guess who suffers? Everyone else...ask me. I know.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Damn now I feel bad. It's a great DZ, we don't want them known for a bad receptionist. They should be known for awesome instructors and good facility. Hopefully, the receptionist will have a better attitude towards her customers from now on. Thank you!

;):D:)

I LOVE! SKYDIVING!!!!

Not saying this is the case here but quite often, the boss and the manifest person are...well, let's say, an item. There are many DZs where that IS the case.

When the boss and the manifest girl are hooked up, guess who suffers? Everyone else...ask me. I know.

Yep. There's a DZ I know of where the wife of the DZO is the manifest/receptionist/phone person.

And she is known as...

not the nicest person.

She has driven business away. As in people would drive a fair distance extra to a different DZ because they had a ball jumping and wanted to do it again...

Somewhere else. Away from her.

I don't wish to call anyone out, and if there are any
"Are you talking about 'xxx' or DZ 'yyy'" I won't confirm or deny.

But it's pretty widely known that this woman isn't the nicest person in the sport.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Yep. There's a DZ I know of where the wife of the DZO is the manifest/receptionist/phone person.

And she is known as...

not the nicest person.

She has driven business away. As in people would drive a fair distance extra to a different DZ because they had a ball jumping and wanted to do it again...

Somewhere else. Away from her.

I don't wish to call anyone out, and if there are any
"Are you talking about 'xxx' or DZ 'yyy'" I won't confirm or deny.

But it's pretty widely known that this woman isn't the nicest person in the sport.

All true:(

The bad news is that these people that feel entitled are everywhere. Not just the DZ:(

If it acts like a loser, talks like a loser, they are loserand aren't going to change:o

The good news is that as consumers, and the law of supply and demand we don't have to accept 2nd class treatment. For our $$$

I wouldn't recommend signing up for a package deal like AFF thru A liscense for the same reason, you'll lose out on some of your options for chump change.

R

Hello Alex89, probably Alexandra. Well your problem is common on DZs. There are people who shouldn't be in contact with the public because they are not able to deal with. If one day you come to jump in Quebec, more specifically, at Nouvel Air Farnham Qc, you will see there what should be a staff dedicated to public. The staff will welcome you and will take care of you. First, up there, people at the desk are 3 or 4 depending on the attendance. There is somebody for the phone and registration, somebody else for the account and money, and somebody to register and call the loads and this in French or English. Since the DZ is located in Montreal area, a lot of immigrants are jumping there. I have jumped there with Russians, Czec Republic people, Bulgarians, Serbians, Belgians, Chinese, Mexicans...name it.
The lady at your DZ is probably doing those tasks all together and losing easily her temper due to overloading. But anyway you as a customer, you should be treated royally.;)

Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.