baronn

Smoking at the DZ

Not much. The harm of second hand smoke is about as clearly identified as the cause of global warming. The EPA study was been rejected. To my knowledge, no study that has been accepted by a reputable independant source has indicated standing near to someone smoking outside has a measurable health risk. I could be wrong as I haven't read much on this.

I don't smoke - so I don't have a dog in this fight.

I agree with the global warning part.

You are way off on second hand smoke though.It is a carcinogen. It's a free country & do what you want. Just don't be an ass & subject other to it.

Thank you for sticking up for your DZ and fellow jumpers by saying something and reporting it. You didn't overreact. It's no different than someone carelessly tossing their cigarette on a playground while kids are playing. Some people just don't get it. Sometimes I really wish that smoking killed faster.

Actually, I've found that most if not all of the regulars who smoke at my home DZ take the same approach as you.

+1 at my Dropzone also. It seems people who still smoke are almost embarassed by it. Everyone I see at my DZ sneaks far away to have a smoke. It isn't an issue here.

We just don't want ya to see WHAT we're smokin'! :P

:D:D:D
I am NOT being loud.
I'm being enthusiastic!

For the most part I see smokers acting like inconsiderate fucks.

I agree with this. I'm just not sure saying they are increasing my risk of dying by their second hand smoke in an outdoor environment. Hell - I'm a skydiver - I am taking much greater risks than standing near a smoker.

Second hand smoke can be a health risk. Exposing children to a heavy smoker in an automobile or small room is unacceptable. Smoking outside in an area where they shouldn't is being a douchebag.

Its a quality of life issue. I like the farting in somebody's face analogy. Nobody wants to smell nasty gas from somebody's colon. Likewise we dont want to smell your nasty smoke that is coming from your lungs.

My old quartermaster in the army had a sign on the outside of the door to the stores:

You like a cigarette which produces a byproduct in the form of smoke;
This byproduct gets on my clothes and in my hair and makes them smell.
I like a drink now and then - this also produces a byproduct in the form of urine;
Would you like it if I stood on a chair and pissed all over your clothes and hair?
If not please don't smoke near me!
Atheism is a Non-Prophet Organisation

Not much. The harm of second hand smoke is about as clearly identified as the cause of global warming. The EPA study was been rejected. To my knowledge, no study that has been accepted by a reputable independent source has indicated standing near to someone smoking outside has a measurable health risk. I could be wrong as I haven't read much on this.

I don't smoke - so I don't have a dog in this fight.

Fuck the professionals!
All I know is that if I smell some-else's second-hand smoke - in the morning - my throat seizes up and I am grumpy all day.

Lips that touch tobacco will never touch mine!

Smokers should be allowed smoke outside if they please, it dosnt bother me. it dosnt even bother me when someone who has a private office smokes in it.

But there are places that are unsuitable and if you are going to leave your butts on the ground then the landing area is one of them.

If it happened here and I damaged my canopy as a result he would be buying me a new one. No patches, No repairs its now his and he owes me a new one.

Its kinda like dogs on the dropzone I dont have one but I love my friends dogs but if one of them shits in the landing area or in the hangar or anywhere and it gets on my shoes, clothes, container or canopy then its the dog owners that are responsible.

Actually, I've found that most if not all of the regulars who smoke at my home DZ take the same approach as you.

+1 at my Dropzone also. It seems people who still smoke are almost embarassed by it. Everyone I see at my DZ sneaks far away to have a smoke. It isn't an issue here.

We just don't want ya to see WHAT we're smokin'! :P

:D:D:D

lol

I don't think they are embarrassed by it at my home DZ but all of the smokers are respectful. It's is not an issue there either.

In fact if they saw anyone smoking near gear I think most if not all of the smokers at my DZ would yell at anyone just as quick as those of us that don't suck on the cancer sticks.

I agree. I smoked for 13 years and quit last November. I always had respect for where I was. However now that I quit I have become a complete ass to those who smoke around me. :)

Sincerely, Daniel (not as fat as he thinks he is) Adams
http://www.skyjump.com
http://www.vimeo.com/dandaninc
http://www.youtube.com/dandaninc

The guy is a douche bag if he smokes around other peoples gear and leaves burning butts in the landing area. The DZO is an asshole if he doesn't do anything about it.

The DZO is a business man he's probably getting a cut of the photo fee's. He obviously happy with the cash flow and isn't going to listen to a bunch of whineing jumpers. that want to cut into his bottom line.

For those of you that think if Your gear gets damaged that your going to be able to get the A hole to buy you new gear good luck with that.:(

ungle rules : got to ne proactive rather than reactive Put a bunch of dog shit in the back of camera dudes car on a hot day or throw it in his camera bag unwrapped.:) Damn teenages >:(

If he can't take a suble hint than the next time you find a burnig butt in the landing area pick it up and stunble and accidently burn his hand or cloth's with it.:).

Get a bunch of jumpers together and Have a serious talk with the DZO about everyones gear including his own and the dangers of nylon and cigs. Then start looking for another DZ. Because the DZ is what he is and isn't going to change.

Make room for the tandems.;)

First time shame on him second time shame on you, you and you.

Do not do anything illegal!!!!!!! Shit happens

R.
One Jump Wonder

Lucky for me ive not seen what embers do to a canopy but i can imagine.. I try to take very good care of my gear and would be pissed if i found burn holes in it.

That said,, i dont mind that other smoke as long as its not right next to me or close upwind.

its not an issue at our DZ, people go quite far from anything packing/gear/manifest area ect..

I have no problem with people smoking, but please, when your're doing it, get the hell away from when I'm walking around in a wingsuit, with an open canopy or when I'm packing, because you will be paying for it if I get cigarette burns.

That ^

I myself am a social smoker and very rarely smoke during weekdays. At a DZ I think it should be standard that NO ONE smoke on the LANDING area or anywhere near open containers/canopies or wingsuits. Personally if it's a closed rig in an open area I generally give a 20ft rule or so if I'm smoking and make sure I'm downwind of them.

Unfortunately I have seen the effects of a DZM smoking near canopies and the AFF-I with his newly purchased main canopy that had just landed (also a smoker) ended up getting a small hole from the DZM's cherry. This is simply unacceptable. Just common sense people
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

Most younger jumpers at my previous DZ smoke(d).
- They smoked right after dumping their canopies. -> Space in hangar wasted just coz they wanna inhale.
- They smoked in the snack area. Cocky remarks like "I do not object to your eating whilst I'm smoking, hah haha" were often heard.
- They smoked whilst folks gathered after the sunset load. If I told 'em to please not smoke near me coz I suffer from asthma they just did not pay attention to it.

CONCLUSION: SMOKERS WHO SUBJECT OTHERS TO THEIR SMOKE SUCK.

I do not complain any longer as the aforementioned DZ is almost out of business and the club DZ where I mainly jump now is way different:
Though in the open, smokers usually do not smoke (fire hazard etc) or smoke at a decent distance. Even when we gather at the club house and put up benches and tables for a barbie smokers either sit downwind or withdraw from the sitting area for a smoko.

CONCLUSION: SMOKERS WHO SMOKE WITHOUT SUBJECTING OTHERS TO THEIR SMOKE ARE FOLKS I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH (apart for feeling sorry for their health.)
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

For those of you that think if Your gear gets damaged that your going to be able to get the A hole to buy you new gear good luck with that.

I don't think that would be too hard with a little bit of effort.
Get video or pics NOW of him smoking in the landing area and tossing his lit butts on the ground.

Take him to small claims court for damages to any gear.
With evidence of his behavior, it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

And if he knows there's 27 8 x 10 color glossy pictures with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one ready to be used as evidence against him in a court of law, he may change his behavior.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

For those of you that think if Your gear gets damaged that your going to be able to get the A hole to buy you new gear good luck with that.

I don't think that would be too hard with a little bit of effort.
Get video or pics NOW of him smoking in the landing area and tossing his lit butts on the ground.

Take him to small claims court for damages to any gear.
With evidence of his behavior, it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

And if he knows there's 27 8 x 10 color glossy pictures with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one ready to be used as evidence against him in a court of law, he may change his behavior.

Yea thats going to work just great.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals