baronn

Smoking at the DZ

So there is an individual that takes the landing shots ( for the potential to sell them) in the landing area. I have found 2 burning cigarette butts burning in this landing area while walking back. I told him this is a bad idea (really, he had to be told) and he said he wouldn't do it anymore. Yesterday, he had another experienced jumper (150 jumps) standing next to him smoking a cigarette. I asked the guy not to smoke in the landing area. The photographer starts in and telling me he knows what he's doing and blah, blah, blah. I let it go and mentioned it to the owner at the end of the day. This guy walks in in the middle of our conversation and proceeds to tell me how wrong I am and how breathing his smoke isn't going to hurt me. Though there are no smoking signs everywhere, most of the people here smoke and do it in front of me, customers and give no consideration to anyone else. I watched another instructor shoot a video with a cigarette in his mouth. Seems inapropriate to me but, let me know what ya think.

wheres the BOOBIES choice??? and i think that as long as your not smoking around anybody gear beside your own and your outside your good. you have the choice to walk away.

You're right about it not being a problem if you are outside and not around anybody's gear.

BUT, it is a problem if someone is smoking in the landing area. The OP found a couple of cigarettes STILL BURNING. It is very rude and could easily damage somebody's gear.

I know I'd be pretty upset, if I found some burn holes in my canopy when I was packing. Wouldn't you?
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Are you annoyed just because he is smoking near you or because he is leaving burning butts where it can harm gear?

If it's just over them smoking, I've just gotten used to that part of skydiving. But most of my smoking friends aren't assholes about it. They'll shift circles so I can be up wind of them or wont smoke too close to me.

If its the gear thing, this pisses me off too. I bought a used rig with the only sign of wear being a small hole caused by a smoker's careless ashes landing on the rig. (The smoker wasn't the owner either, which makes it way worse.) It didn't cause any structural damage, but it's quite obvious and you can see it. I can't believe a smoker, jumper or not, would be that careless near other people's things.

wheres the BOOBIES choice??? and i think that as long as your not smoking around anybody gear beside your own and your outside your good. you have the choice to walk away.

You're right about it not being a problem if you are outside and not around anybody's gear.

BUT, it is a problem if someone is smoking in the landing area. The OP found a couple of cigarettes STILL BURNING. It is very rude and could easily damage somebody's gear.

I know I'd be pretty upset, if I found some burn holes in my canopy when I was packing. Wouldn't you? I completely agree with you thats why i said not around anybodys gear. They landing area and packing area should be off limits to smoking. Any ppl that smoke shouldnt be just throwing there burning cig butts in the landing area. Littering the DZ isnt kool they should put them out and throw them in the trash.

Not much. The harm of second hand smoke is about as clearly identified as the cause of global warming. The EPA study was been rejected. To my knowledge, no study that has been accepted by a reputable independant source has indicated standing near to someone smoking outside has a measurable health risk. I could be wrong as I haven't read much on this.

I don't smoke - so I don't have a dog in this fight.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

For the most part I see smokers acting like inconsiderate fucks.

I agree with this. I'm just not sure saying they are increasing my risk of dying by their second hand smoke in an outdoor environment. Hell - I'm a skydiver - I am taking much greater risks than standing near a smoker.

Second hand smoke can be a health risk. Exposing children to a heavy smoker in an automobile or small room is unacceptable. Smoking outside in an area where they shouldn't is being a douchebag.

I really don't care about the secondhand smoke as long as it's outside. In a confined space (room, car, whatever) it is a different story.

But carelessness with fire around gear is a bad idea. Ask Mr ButtFlinger if he's planning on paying for the canopies his still burning cigarettes damage.

And given the drought this summer, carelessness with fire anywhere is a bad idea. I can see the entire landing area at some places going up in flames. FWIW, the Indiana State Patrol was giving out citations for tossing lit cigarettes out of cars. The big advisory signs over the interstates were warning of it.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I thought these were the kinda responses I would get. This guy actually wants to be a rigger. Wait till he has to start patching canopies because of his inconsideration. Hope he doesn't mind working for free. The management here is pretty laid back and doesn't like to stir things. Can't understand why he puts up with this myself. I won't tolerate it. The smokers consistently smoke in the hanger or directly upwind of me and our customers. On busy days. The place has great potential and in a fast growing area. Really too bad this is tolerated.

It's a dirty, unhealthy habit...and yeah I'm a smoker.

It's MY personal choice and as such I take pains not to intrude on anyone else when I'm doing it.

They aren't choosing to smoke, they have every right to enjoy a smoke free environment...therefor I tend to go away from others when doing it.

(Ori @ the DZ even thanked me a while back, noticing I do that without being asked to) B|

It has no place near gear, fuel, aircraft, kids, non-smokers...on & on.

And even AS a smoker, when I see someone throwing butts on the ground burning or not, I make an issue of it.

Common courtesy isn't so common any more I guess.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Common courtesy isn't so common any more I guess.

Actually, I've found that most if not all of the regulars who smoke at my home DZ take the same approach as you. I can't remember the last time I've had to walk away from someone because they were smoking too close, or had to ask someone to move to a different area if they were smoking somewhere that could bother people or damage gear. If I'm in a conversation with a smoker who wants to light up they'll usually make a point of making sure they stand in such a way that the smoke's moving away from me.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

My experience has been similar. They're usually pretty good about moving so the smoke doesn't bug me or somebody else.

I have had to talk to some newer jumpers, but it's usually just because they don't think about it. They just think "I'm outside, it's cool to smoke" Once aware they're pretty good about it though. I also try not to be a dick when asking them to move to someplace else.

Actually, I've found that most if not all of the regulars who smoke at my home DZ take the same approach as you.

+1 at my Dropzone also. It seems people who still smoke are almost embarassed by it. Everyone I see at my DZ sneaks far away to have a smoke. It isn't an issue here.

Actually, I've found that most if not all of the regulars who smoke at my home DZ take the same approach as you.

+1 at my Dropzone also. It seems people who still smoke are almost embarassed by it. Everyone I see at my DZ sneaks far away to have a smoke. It isn't an issue here.

We just don't want ya to see WHAT we're smokin'! :P

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I own my own tandem rig, when I harness the student up, they're not allowed to smoke until the harness is back off.

The other students don't get told that, and I have to stop them from smoking in the gear once in a while.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Not here. I have been told (not nicely) Don't like it, move. Absolutely no consideration for anyone but themselves. I can't really do that when I'm working here without moving all the gear to a new location. Pretty amazing when ya think about it. Every other place I have ever been to, most people are very considerate and don't force this on anyone.

I have no problem with people smoking, but please, when your're doing it, get the hell away from when I'm walking around in a wingsuit, with an open canopy or when I'm packing, because you will be paying for it if I get cigarette burns.
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane"